What's new

B&M or Vekoma SLC Inverts?

B&M or Vekoma SLC inverts?

• B&M

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Vekoma SLC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So, do you guys prefer the B&M inverts or the SLC's? I prefer B&M ones as I like the way they look better, and the one B&M I've been on (yes, sadly all the parks I've been to but 1 have only SLC's) was WAY better than the Vekomas.

B&M for me.

c&r

Mega Poster
But... you just really can't compare two entire categories when you've only ridden one from each category; why didn't you just start "Raptor vs Thunderhawk", as that is what your opinion is representing. You just can't compare rides like that, as maybe raptor is the best B&M invert ever, and maybe Thunderhawk is the worst SLC ever?

Mit deLuxe

Hyper Poster
I prefer B&M invreters, they are smooth (well most of the time) and can get really intense, and they have way better Layouts IMO

A

Anonymous

B&M for me.

Smooth, Stylish and Forceful.

And I prefer the B&M seating.
4>2, anyday.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
B&M, they actually have variety. It'd be more equal if B&M only made the Batman clones, with one or two customs, but that's not how things are, and B&M make the more interesting designs, so they win it for me.

Mat

Hyper Poster
I like b&m inverted coasters becuase of the whole experience of having your legs hanging. (I know that you don't really notice it when you are riding it :D)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
B&M completely blows Vekoma outta the water. I mean, the smoothness, the speed, the inversions, the intensity, the layouts, the everything, it all beats the SLCs.

c&r

Mega Poster
robbeal said:
B&M, they actually have variety. It'd be more equal if B&M only made the Batman clones, with one or two customs, but that's not how things are, and B&M make the more interesting designs, so they win it for me.

Rob, I'm so thoroughly dissapointed in you, I thought you of all people would know how many varieties of the SLC there is! Let's head to RCDB...

[url=http://www.rcdb.com/cm7.htm:11fh07oy]Vekoma Model Page[RCDB][/url] said:
SLC
SLC (662m Prototype) 2
SLC (689m Standard) 23
SLC (787m Extended) 2
SLC (765m Extended w/Helix) 5
SLC (Custom) 5

That's 9 varities. While they may not sound like much, it damn well is really... and look at how many they've sold! Vekoma are gods. Or, they damn well know how to run the business, at any rate.

B&M Have 16 different ones; while this is plenty, it's not quite double 9 :lol:. Personally, I prefer B&M, but, I think people rate SLC's down far too harshly merely becuase they're cloned. Frankly, who cares? Rampage is bloody similar to megafobia, and I don't see anyone marking that down. Grand National was based heavily on Racing Cyclone (or whatever the hell it was called...), I don't see anyone marking it down for it. To be fair to B&M, people do mark down the Batman clones.

So variety is settled; vekoma may not have that much en compare to B&M, but it damn well is there.

Moving onto a point Rob didn't make, but plenty of people did, what the hell is up with people who think SLCs are rough? I mean come on, don't be such pussies, the ones I have ridden haven't been rough at all! And even if they are rough, it's not vekoma's fault that parks are bollocks at maintaning. Let's take Vampire at walibi belgium; I thought it was going to hurt like hell (for some reason), but I just adapted the "Use the restraint as a pillow" tactic, and it was smooth as glass - the only thing that could possibly be considered rough is the laterals. And if laterals are rough now, then god help the coasters of the future.

*Scans through other points made in topic*

Hmm, you people seem to be under the impression that B&M are more forcefull than vekoma? Excluding nemesis, which has ONE intense part, I've never ridden a B&M that even puts a scratch on vekoma intensity wise.

Also, Hyde, I'd hardly call the inversions on B&M better to be honest, the Roll Over is the best inversion I've ever felt on an inverted coaster. Oh, and what's that I hear my brain saying to me? It's more intense than any B&M Inversion? yeah, true :-D.

Though, after that huge post sticking up for that vekoma, I do actually prefer B&M, but only becuase of great bear and alpengeist - if it wasn't for those two, I'd way prefer the SLCs.

Sam

Giga Poster
Mattb said:
I like b&m inverted coasters becuase of the whole experience of having your legs hanging. (I know that you don't really notice it when you are riding it :D)

Supprisingly enough on a Vekoma SLC you experiance a similar thing.... :roll:

joe

Mega Poster
^LMAO!

The only SLC I have been on is Jubilee Odyssey what was rough as hell, but suprisingly fun at times. I hear that Kong is smooth and Az tells me that Traumatizer is in between.

Every B&M Invert I have been on is smooth, they provide a better experience and the track looks alot better. All of them have made me smile once I left the train.

A

Anonymous

Hmm, you people seem to be under the impression that B&M are more forcefull than vekoma? Excluding nemesis, which has ONE intense part, I've never ridden a B&M that even puts a scratch on vekoma intensity wise.

But have you ridden anything besides UK B&Ms??? I mean, Nemesis is great and so is Inferno, but they are very different rides from the JUMBO inverts like Montu, Raptor, Top Gun, etc.

Smaller inverts and Batman clones are fun, don't get me wrong, but the larger ones are MUCH more intense than any Vekoma. And in a good way. They don't call SLCs Hang and Bangs for nothing you know...

And the reason that Vekoma has sold so many rides is because they've all been awful Boomerang clones! Or SLCs :twisted: They sell cheap coasters and parks gobble them up. With a B&M, you get the smoothest ride, the coolest inversions, etc. Does Vekoma have a Jojo roll??? I don't think so.

They still use Arrow style track anyway, so its no wonder they're so rough...

Harvey

Hyper Poster
Does Vekoma have a Jojo roll??? I don't think so.

Oh please, its just a ****ing heartline roll before the lift hill, not the first one either, Cedar Fair LIED, Intamin had the pleasure of that, in some mall in the Far East.

I prefer the Vekoma SLC.

Vekoma's are CHEAPER which means smaller parks can still build large, crowd drawing rides that thril the punters and keep them coming back - and they'll keep bringing their money back so the park can move on to build bigger rides.

The 689m SLC costs around five million quid, along with the new trains that provide a smoother ride, and lets have a look shall we:

Over a hundred feet tall, good capacity, five inversions, 50 mph top speed and a compact layout, along with a small lead time since theres no design process - thats a WINNING combination people, if you were a budding park after a cheap thrill ride that wont eat up acres of land, you would look no further than the 689m SLC, and park managers everywhere agree with that - obviously, theres twentyfive 689m SLC's worldwide (and nearly fifteen other Vekoma SLC's), and if I remember rightly - only the Boomerang (another Vekoma) beats that.

Lets face it, as a company Vekoma are far more accesable than B&M, they will always be the more popular choice (as they are now) for inverted coasters than B&M.

Vekoma are getting better too, recent re designs have lead to a much smoother and more enjoyable ride overall, stow away your courage fanboys! *Drumroll*

As a company, Vekoma are superior to B&M, woooooooo!

c&r

Mega Poster
Raptors a clone, which SLCs apperently suck so bad for, I haven't ridden top gun, and I haven't ridden montu. But, I have ridden the biggest - Alpengiest; which, going by your logic, would surely be the most intense?

Harvey

Hyper Poster
Which is why they've filed for bankruptcy twice.

That doesnt matter, Vekoma are obviously going from strenght to strenght, there new Booster Bikes are starting to pop up, and their looping and family coasters have been given new trains and track, their SLC's have recieved new rolling stock and Vekoma are taking on more ambitious plans than ever.

For example:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig2389.htm?picture=31

Almost

Hyper Poster
Hyde244 said:
B&M completely blows Vekoma outta the water. I mean, the smoothness, the speed, the inversions, the intensity, the layouts, the everything, it all beats the SLCs.

Aren't you comparing the same two as LFTL?

[Not at all. Where did I say that? - Hyde244]

Anyway SLC's are actually good when they first are made but they don't age well. Both types don't really have much variety to think about it.

Batman Clones:
Loop
Zero- G
loop
wing over
wingover

Basically most of the B&M inverts are the same thing just with an immelman or cobra roll thrown in there. There isn't that much variety. Same goes with Vekoma though.

23 SLC's:
Rollover
Sidewinder
double Inline twist

rct524 said:
Does Vekoma have a Jojo roll??? I don't think so.
Are we discussing Floorlesses?

Does B&M have roll overs?

and Vekoma made the Sidewinder which is basically a immelman (because B&M made them more or less a sidewinder) a year earlier than B&M's first immelman in 1996.

I think I might be on Vekoma's side on this one.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
Lol Ross, I know there's some variations on the standard SLC, but they're bloody minor variations! There's the 689m which is the standard one. The 662m (2 of) one was the prototype, but had difficulties with the 10-car trains, and the design was altered to the 689m one. Same layout entirely just ever so slightly different scale-wise here & there. Then there's the 787m one (2 of), which again has the same layout, just stretched out a bit. The 765m one (5 of) has an extra helix at the end, which is probably the best element on any SLC i've ridden, but other than that, everything is the same, and gives no different ride experience. Then there's the custom ones that are very different, of which there is 5.

If we're looking at ride experience here, which i'd presumed we were, then all of the first 4 categories are going to give very similar experiences indeed, with only the 5 custom layouts providing anything different. To me, that says that there at 6 different ride experiences possible from Vekoma SLCs (not counting the ones with helices, because I don't want to over-complicate things), and B&M have 16, with 14 unique designs, and the 12 Batmans & 2 Raptor layouts.

I'd still give B&M the edge in the Inverted stakes, even though I feel Vekoma are probably the most innovative company out there.

c&r

Mega Poster
To be honest UC, I would hardly call Black Mamba abitious on B&M's part, it's more ambitious on phantasialand's.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
Well, let's take a look at this a different way- just the standard SLC and just the B:TR clone. If you look at just those, it's still a no contest win for B&M.

B:TR Clones:
- 5 inversions (loop, zero g, loop, 2 corks)
- 2700ft. long
- 50mph
- Height: 105ft.
- Duration: 2min.

Standard SLC
- 5 inversions (rollover, sidewinder, double inline)
- 2260ft. long
- 50mph
- Height: 109ft.
- Duration: 1:36

(Though they're shorter, the B&Ms are a longer duration and a longer track length)

I've ridden both kinds, and the Batman clones destroy the SLCs in intensity, sensation of speed, ride quality, and smoothness. B&M clearly have the better clone design. B&M by far.

Will

Strata Poster
As you all know by now, I'm a complete fanboy, and believe B&M inverters to be the best thing since sliced bread. So they get my vote. Traumatizer's nice, but it can't compare to our stunning pair of nemeses...