What's new

AVATAR Land for Animal Kingdom WDW

nadroJ

CF Legend
Merghhhhh, I was hoping this had DIED <//3

But anyway, what Gavin said, it will look awesome because Disney, but I still don't get what the FILM has to do with the ANIMAL park. It's all backwards. Anyway, I guess we'll just have to grin and bear it.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Joey said:
Half the concepts look like movie stills.

There's no information in them about the physical theme park experience.

I don't understand what they're for, other than to say "yo! Avatar looks like this, just in case you didn't know... "

Still don't get this.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

If all they had provided were the concept arts I'd feel the same but it's not. There's also a picture of the model they've made for it, which shows it's quite advanced in the planning, and that's the concept I'm looking at mainly, because Disney stick close to their models.

nadroJ, Animal Kingdom isn't purely an animal park. Dinosaurs are extinct for one thing, and the original concept for the area was for dragons and unicorns. Would you have complained that mythical creatures don't fit into an animal park?

I've said it before, the main themes running throughout the ENTIRE park are that of mother nature, sustainability and looking after the planet. THAT is why Avatar, which runs with the same themes fits in.

Y'all can whine about it, but I'd much rather have this than the rubbish meet and greets that are there atm.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
The theme of the park is Animals. Living, extinct, and fantasy. The conservation message goes hand in hand with animals.

I think a lot of Disney fans wanted to see a "Beastly Kingdom", but upper management felt that it needed to be anchored by an IP.

As far as techonology, I imagine the floating islands will be created similiarly to how Legoland created the Chima floating island, just a little bit better.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Yeah, and the model really, really looks like Pandora..........

Pandora is not a good fit for an outdoors themed environment, because everything is either IMPOSSIBLE to create in a tangible, physical way OR will just look like, well, Earth.

...Which will look awesome, but what's the point of the Avatar IP? I don't understand what it offers to DAK. No issue with it fitting in, but who cared about Avatar more than a week after its cinematic release?

The exciting thing is the dark ride potential, but so far they've shown us so far with concept art is a yawn fest boat ride.

The real issue people have with Avatar at DAK is that the original fantasy concept was SO PERFECT. Avatar seems a huge waste of funds and the opportunity to make a fantastic fantasy world of incredible creatures. Avatar was far from the pinacle of creature design.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Disney is actually helping tackle mental disorders with this new addition. After the release of Avatar in 2010, a lot of people became depressed that Pandora did not exist. So many in fact, that an entirely new diagnosis was created: Post-Avatar-Depression-Syndrome or PADS

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/1 ... 20605.html

Disney Imagineers to the mental health community: you're welcome.

peep

CF Legend
Someone on twitter yesterday mentioned that the boat ride might have been cancelled, I hope this isn't the case.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

marc

CF Legend
I hope not as well.

It's strange really as we don't really know much about the land. Yes we have seen pictures but no real detail.

marc

CF Legend
Nope it's going ahead even though forums and fan sites have given their views.

What with this and new fantasy land I think they have lost their way a bit.

But they know no matter what they build people will go where as the other parks cannot get away with that.

Lofty

CF Legend
As seen as there's a further 3 movies being made and a Cirque Du Soleil Avatar Live show... I think it's safe to say it's not dying anytime soon.

marc

CF Legend
I'm sure it will look stunning going by the plans and at least you won't need to sit through 3 hours of being bored for this lol

Lofty

CF Legend
^ I can't agree more. I fell asleep watching it in the Cinema. It's all well and good have a new area, but is there actually going to be anything of substance and not just a 3D ride of some kind? That's my main worry.

marc

CF Legend
There is meant to be some sort of dragon flying ride, sounds more like it will just be a vekoma suspended ride.

The boat ride as peep said looks like it bed dropped now.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
I thought there was just 2 rides?

- A boat ride through Pandora
- A 3D simulator, where you "fly" over Pandora as if on a banshee creature from the films

Can't say either excites me, but if they make the 'land' as immersive as possible it may escape the film's trappings.

marc

CF Legend
This picture was shared by attraction mag. Land clearing has started.

At first it looks small but it's actually quite a big bit of land.

6y9yrety.jpg

5yveqeje.jpg

peep

CF Legend
According to the DIS peeps the land they are clearing at the moment is just where camp Minnie micky and the lion king theatre was which according to them is quite small. They've heard rumours from good sources that soon they'll be clearing land from behind that and moving the service road to accommodate the new area, apparently it'll be massive.

marc

CF Legend
^Yep there is a lot of work to do before they even start building the new land.

Hope they reveal soon what is going in and what has been dropped.

As much as I don't like the theme I'm really interested to see how it turns out.

Harry potter stuff as shown you can build bigger family rides that cater for all ages and I'm hoping Disney pay attention to that.

So many people are against this they need to do something to sell the area and the park which is the least visited.