What's new

Are Japan's parks affected?

Tomatron

Giga Poster
gavin said:
^Wrong forum, love.

Cheers dears. Someone throw me a link quick.

(From another website) here's what Disney are currently saying:

First and foremost, our hearts go out to all of the people in Japan who have been impacted by last week’s devastating earthquake in Japan. In response to this disaster, The Walt Disney Company is making a $2.5 million contribution to the Red Cross to help aid in the disaster relief. The company has also coordinated a charitable giving program for all Disney employees and will match donations, dollar for dollar, up to an additional $1 million.

In regards to our theme park operations, Tokyo Disney Resort will remain closed this week so that a comprehensive safety investigation can be performed. While there was only minimal damage to the resort, the safety of our guests and cast members is always our top priority so we want to be as thorough as possible in our inspections. The quake caused considerable damage to the local infrastructure and transportation systems in the area so we need to take that into account as well. Fortunately, all of the guests who were at the resort when the quake hit have been able to leave despite these transportation challenges.

A decision regarding operations at the Tokyo Disney Resort will be made on March 21 and we will continue to post updates on the Disney Parks Blog as the situation progresses. The thoughts and good wishes of the entire Disney company go to our colleagues in Japan, their friends and families and all of the Japanese people as they begin their recovery efforts in this difficult time.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Not going to be drawn into arguments about disrespect etc...

What I will saw is that it is interesting to think how the rides would be affected, how thorough the safety checks must be, etc...

Maybe a bit soon to think about it, but it's still a discussion point.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Ollie said:
^^I ... thought that it would be a bit more respectful to have a general topic about the disaster before worrying about the rides and parks. But now we have a topic for each it's all fine.
So I would have had to create a general topic about the earthquake first, then it would have been ok for me to create this topic (as I originally did) in order to be respectful? :roll:
Perhaps some of you should check out some of the posts in my high jacked topic to see what being disrespectful is. http://www.coasterforce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29998&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

A

Anonymous

The only thing I think that they would suffer is some structural damage from the quake itself.
BenyLand is located in western Sendai which isn't as bad as everyone think it is, just some broken glass and outer walls, only the eastern suburbs of Sendai were affected by the Tsunami (and of course all cities along the eastern coast).
Sendai Highland is located far up the mountains so it should be fine.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
I'm going to go look at the other topic, thanks.

OK, I'm back.

Pleasure Garden may have been erased by the tsunami. It sat directly on the beach, just a couple feet above sea level, and that coast nearly faces the earthquake's epicenter.

Kamine Kaihin sits well uphill above Hitachi, which has a rugged coastline facing away from the epicenter, It should be fine unless the quake itself knocked rides down.

Tokyo Disney Resort has announced that they will be closed until further notice. They will conduct inspections to make sure everything is safe and reopen when it is appropriate. (AKA after power has been retored throughout the Kanto plain.)

The inland parks of the Tohoku region like Nasu Highland and the Utsunomiya parks will likely close for inspections and reopen along a similar timeline as Disney.

The Sendai parks, won't have been affected by the tsunami, as they sit inland on high ground. The earthquake may have been quite destructive up there, though.

The real issue for all these parks is that there won't be anyone attending them until the country has recovered.

Universal Studios Japan has stated that they will operate as usual.

Nagashima Spaland sits on the coast, but is set far enough into Ise Wan, that the tsunami can't have had any effect. (Waves don't make right turns.)

Fuji-Q will likely be fine, that park, set as close to Mt. Fuji as it is, is designed to withstand tremblors. Remember the conversations about how extra-beefy the supports for Eejanaika are?

Anyways, 'nuff said.

IBTL, IMHO.

A

Anonymous

Shouldn't be an issue, too far from the epicentre. Even though some aftershocks have been pretty close.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
I'd say check the websites. laQua should have info in English for any hours changes.

The big issue now is the rolling blackouts. As summer approaches, demand for electricity will only increase, and Japan doesn't have the infrastructure to offset the loss of the nuclear plants that are offline and not expected to restart, post-quake.

6 reactors at Dai-ichi, 2 at Dai-ni and one or two more elsewhere are offline. Several will be decommissioned as a result of damage from the quake. This is a huge amount of electrical generation capacity for the nation as a whole.

A

Anonymous

Another thing about these black-outs are that east and west Japan can't share the power, the western half can cover some of the losses in the eastern half, since they have different power system...

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Tokyo Disneyland to reopen Friday

The Yomiuri Shimbun

Tokyo Disneyland in Urayasu, Chiba Prefecture, will resume operations Friday after being closed since the March 11 earthquake, the amusement park's operator Oriental Land Co. said.

But given the electricity shortage caused by power plant shutdowns in the wake of the March 11 disaster, Tokyo Disneyland will not operate after 6 p.m. for the time being.

Hotels around the amusement park will likely also return to full operations gradually, sources said.

The park operator said it has put off the reopening of Tokyo Disney Sea, a separate amusement park adjacent to Tokyo Disneyland, until late this month at the earliest.

According to a senior official at the company, sections of Tokyo Disneyland's carpark were damaged due to liquefaction, but facilities inside the amusement park suffered no major damage