What's new

Another UK World Record...but it's not Adventure Island!!!1

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Due to not having much time this evening, I'm going to be very bland and just c&p the PR and "nutshell it" for those who CBA to read.
- "Dangerous Dave" from a local radio station, Gem 106, is attempting to break the "longest time continuously riding an attraction at a theme park" record.
- The current record is 24hrs 9mins, on a Ferris Wheel back in 2004.
- He will break the record at approximately 07:40 GMT tomorrow (Friday) morning.

‘Dangerous’ Dave will attempt to set a new world record by spending over 24 hours on a Log Flume! To break the current world record Dangerous Dave will be subject to a 30ft plummet over a thousand times.

Thrill seeking; Dangerous Dave has been persuaded to take on the record by fellow Gem 106 presenters Sam & Amy.

The record attempt will take place at Twinlakes Theme Park in Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire on Thursday 14th of July at 7.30am.

The precise record Dangerous Dave is attempting is the ‘longest time continuously riding an attraction at a theme park’. The record currently belongs to Blaine Martin who in 2004 rode a Ferris Wheel non-stop for 24 hours and 9 minutes in San Angelo Texas.

Gem 106 Breakfast Presenter and adrenaline junkie ‘Dangerous’ Dave said: ‘Everyone is saying how tough the breaking the record is going to be, but to be honest I’m not particularly worried. I’ve been on loads of rides over the years; I think it is going to be great fun... You don’t get a name like ‘Dangerous’ Dave without being able to back it up.’

Twinlakes Park Manager Sandy Gyorvari said: ‘We are delighted to host such an exciting event; we have full confidence in Dangerous Dave, We have even taken a spare log to the studio for Dave to practice in, however we are not sure that his training regime of sitting in a static log while colleagues throw water and wet sponges at him will sufficiently prepare him!’

The first log left the loading bay at 7am this morning with Dangerous Dave in high spirits. The crowd cheered him on as he completed his first lap of the log flume here at Twinlakes Park.

4 and a half hours later . . . Dangerous Dave is still in hight spirits, although a little damp. He managed to air his Breakfast song live from the logflume, guitar and lyrics in hand! Sam and Amy from Gem 106 have been in constant contact with messages from the audiance and celebrities encouraging Dangerous Dave.
Everyone is in high spirits as the suns shines down and the music plays from the Gem106 Winnebago. Spectators have perched on the deck chairs and set up their picnics for the day. Cheering on Dave as he passes on the log. Customers at Twinlakes have been very supporting. Many climbing on board with Dave for a ride.

Gem106 have been covering the event live on air through out the morning and will be continuing to do so until Dave completes this World Record! Come on down and show your support! The park will be free for entry after 5pm this evening

As I won't be around until tomorrow evening, I won't be able to inform you if Dangerous Dave is successful or not until then, but please feel free to post in here if you hear otherwise.

Nic

Strata Poster
Re: Another UK World Record...but it's not Adventure Island!

I hope he has kids with him, or its not fair that they let him in

T0M

Hyper Poster

Ironically, Adventure Island may inadvertently hold this record if the dodgems are a "theme park attraction" when that woman drove one for 25 hours recently.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Wasn't that guy on the Big Dipper for like 2 whole days?

T0M

Hyper Poster

^ Andy Hine? Well that'd have been Nash :lol:

Martyn B

CF Legend

No (well, its not what I'm on about), some guy definitely done it on Dipper.

Oh, and back onto this, isn't a log flume a bit of an inconvenient ride to be on through-out the night?

Nic

Strata Poster

True, but don't forget, he is "Dangerous"

Oh, and I'd LOL so much if it turns out this is actually AI's record! haha

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Very well publicised news about massive record a few years ago said:
A man who completed the world's longest rollercoaster marathon has finally ended his epic ride - a week after smashing the Guinness World Record.

Richard Rodriguez, 48, overtook the previous total of nine days and 12 hours at 1201 BST on 6 August.

But the New Yorker carried on his quest on The Big One at Blackpool Pleasure Beach to maximise his total.

He finally stopped on Monday after 401 hours and almost 8,000 rides, covering more than 6,300 miles (10,138km).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/6944721.stm

So yeah, this is complete and utter bollocks.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Eh, well I was kinda right anyway.

Though I could have sworn it was on the Big Dipper...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^I'm pretty sure it was. That was just the first article that came up on Google. I couldn't be **** ed to look for another one just because of a mistake.

Anyway, regardless, there's no record going on at whatever craphole little park is claiming there is.

Martyn B

CF Legend

There is a picture on the BBC website, and a pic of him on the Big One, and it has the update font the park now use, so this was pretty recent. I certainly never heard of it anyway. But a quick search of his brings up a lot of these coaster marathons.

LOL, just think, this dangerous Dave is on the Log Flume RIGHT NOW. Talk about feeling spited when he's finished...

spicy

Giga Poster
I think this is a record for continuously riding it without a break.

If you read the bottom of the article about the guy riding big dipper he was allowed 5 minutes respite every hour, "dangerous Dave" doesn't get that so it's a different record.

Pretty weak but I think that's what the record is.

Martyn B

CF Legend

^ If thats true, then this is why I got in a huff in the AI topic. What a load of **** bollocks.

Mark

Strata Poster

I believe they are actually seperate world records. One of which that is specific to Rollercoasters and the other is for other types of theme park attraction. It is very tenuous at best, but this would explain why this Dangerous Dave guy has a stake at a particular record.

Hurri

Mega Poster

Toilet break guidelines are, as far as I'm aware, provided by Guinness. The record will be set regardless of whether or not he uses his break allowance, he'd just be a fool not to, and a very uncomfortable fool by the end of it.

Martyn B

CF Legend

^ Well, he was probably soaked through by the end of it anyway....