What's new

Another ride to probably leave Blackpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie

CF Legend
Yes but the way Blackpool are going it's obvious it's going to happen. Any old ride is nowhere near as good as a new fountain. Which dumb-**** doesn't get that now? :roll:

Dave

CF Legend
Well it won't be a fountain, any dumb **** would not put a fountain over a park entrance (especially when its next to the sea).

Why would it close when it was restored a few years back?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Neal said:
Bicko! *shakes fist*

I know you're joking Neal, but it's best not to name names in case people think you're serious.

The issue, really is that Blackpool is a bit of a paradox.

The park is popular, and has such a strong fan base because of the variety, uniqueness and quirky nature of its rides.

However, it's also almost universally panned for not having any "decent new investment".

The problem is (and a lot of Pleasure Beach fans know this) that they will have to remove the quirky and unique rides to put in something new.

They'll never be able to replace those quirky and unique rides with anything new which is also quirky and unique.

So, if Pleasure Beach remove the rides to make way for new ones - 50% of people will complain about the ride going. The other 50% of people will welcome a new ride - but then most will lament the loss of the old ride in favour of something bound not to satisfy them anyway.

In enthusiast terms, it's all a complete lost cause for PBB :lol:

For the Pleasure Beach, it's also tough as they are a proudly historic resort - and removing their history isn't something they will do lightly (even that Thompson woman ;) ). Yet they know they have to keep up to survive.

In terms of listing and stuff.

Noah's Ark has been through too many changes to be listed on its own. The current interior and models are all too modern. At one point, it was decorated by a leading artist, and if it had been kept that way - the ride would have been a national treasure (and the carved animals worth a fortune each :lol: ). Sadly, it was all replaced (I can't remember exact dates, but it's when it was changed from the art deco style - early 80's I think, but please don't quote me on that). I'm sure that the current "architecture" is less than 50 years old throughout though - maybe just a few bits here and there of the original.

The basic boat and the mechanics are all original, but that's a machine - it's not something that can be listed. It's not a great case for Noah's Ark.

The listing application needed to be tied into a group application. So you would have Noah's Ark, Flying Machines, Big Dipper, Grand National, River Caves and Roller Coaster all lumped together. Individually, none of these items is worth consideration of listing.
Flying Machines - purely mechanical
Big Dipper - Original Emberton Station has gone. Track redesigned recently and is probably no longer available for consideration.
Grand National - Too many fires in the station.
River Caves - not really architecturally interesting enough.
Roller Coaster - Big Dipper is the older of the two - so there is another exemplar.

Now, we know that in ride terms, Blackpool is pretty much the last bastion for these. For that reason, a case can be made that while each may not deserve individual merit - the "collection" makes the entire set worth listing and a kind of "Pleasure Beach is special" listing application acceptable. Together, they are a historical marker of a point in time.

Now, this is where the problem arises. People may say "save Noah's Ark", but then say "but you can ditch Roller Coaster as long as we are left with Big Dipper". Others will lay value on Roller Coaster, but happily ditch the River Caves. There's a decent variation of all the possible options :lol:

Yet, to save one, you have to save them all. The argument then goes if you save them all - you condemn Pleasure Beach to death due to having no expansion options.

So you're stuck :lol: Ask for help and research and people get very upset when they find out why...

As for moving the ride? They moved the Southport one once - but I think it's a severely major task. In Southport it moved a few hundred yards - I can imagine the cost of moving the ride (in a workable condition) would be hundreds of thousands - money the Dreamland Trust don't have.

marc

CF Legend
My view on the Margate thing is if people are going to destroy the rides they should give them to the Margate park from free, and just have them pay for transport.

I do not see what ride can go where this is anyway, it takes up a small amount of land.

Tbh I fear for all the older rides at Blackpool now, anything that costs money to maintain. The next ride I can see going is Alice in Wonderland and then Steeple Chase.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Just about to say Marc...

Alice has had a refresh over the closed season. I suspect that somebody has realised there's a new Alice film out this year and they can monopolise on it :)

I hope it's just getting tarted up, but is refurbishment in PBB terms just like "making safe for the winter"? ;)

marc

CF Legend
Good point there Furie lol.

If I remember right Space Invaders was also closed for refurbishment and never opened again?

Maybe this time though for H&S they had to change the steps etc who knows.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The "pay booth" has also gone. However, if the ride is included as free with the park entry - it wouldn't need a payment booth [/common sense]

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
marc said:
Can someone lock this now.

The ride is not going it is only closed for work.

http://www.blackpoolpleasurebeach.com/r ... -ark/53/2/

where does it say "closed for work"?, could just be an old page - and it's NOT on the attractions list.

furie said:
In enthusiast terms, it's all a complete lost cause for PBB
so they make both sides unhappy, by leaving a ride SBNO for a few years, and not keeping the public informed

marc

CF Legend
"Noah's Ark

Come join Noah, his wife and all the animals on board Noah’s Ark. This classic family attraction will rock you from side to side as it simulates the soothing motion of the ocean! Once inside you will encounter all sorts of fun obstacles and displays on this enjoyable walk through attraction. Closed due to refurbishment.
There is no height restriction.

Unlimited Ride Wristbands and Junior Wristbands accepted. "

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
amazing what you miss at times isn't it???

(although - i'd expect a note like that to be emphasised more, and using a bigger font)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
caffeine_demon said:
so they make both sides unhappy, by leaving a ride SBNO for a few years, and not keeping the public informed

Bury your head in the sand and nothing matters ;)

It took me ages to notice the bit where it said refurb too :lol: I was about to pull Marc up on it too, but I trust him and looked really closely. I reckon I read it ten times before spotting it :oops:

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Pay booth and staircase up to Noah's Ark have been removed.

I very much doubt its coming back to the ride line up.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Ollie said:
How long till they reveal they're going to build a fountain in it's place?

Their is some people who talk rubbish, and then there is the likes of you which take it too far.

Incase you have failed to notice, Noah's Ark is above the park entrance so its hardly going to be removed and replaced with a fountain.

I very much doubt the attraction will actually be removed, I just dont expect it to open anytime soon, especially as there is no way up to it now.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Lighten up, it's a JOKE...

Sigh... :roll:

Seriously, Blackpool really doesn't do anything to instruct me to return urgently... Removing more classic rides is not the greatest idea for all of us who do like the look of old tacky Blackpool... If only they treated their rides like Kennywood did...

marc

CF Legend
What I find bad is as you say the ride is right above the entrance so everyone can see it but yet no one can ride it.

Status
Not open for further replies.