What's new

Another China Weekend Pt 4: Random Ganzhou

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
A couple of weekends ago, I ended up taking a four-day trip to China to get some new parks. Originally, the staff from school were taking a trip to Guangzhou on the Friday and Saturday, and we were given Monday off. I booked a train up to Ganzhou for the Saturday evening, after the work crap, coming back to Hong Kong on the Monday night.

We’d done a trip like this before, 5 years ago, and while it’s kind of bending my tourist visa, it would be easy enough to argue “tourism” if anything happened, which is unlikely, but still. However, a few days before the trip, I found out that we were also taking a huge group of students. This totally tipped the trip from “arguably tourism” into definite work, so there was no way I was going to risk it. I told the vice principal that I was very worried that the school might get into a lot of trouble if they asked me to break Chinese immigration law, and she very apologetically told me that I wouldn’t be allowed to join them. Result!

I decided to keep the Ganzhou stuff, but I now had a couple of extra days to play with, so I got a flight to Nanjing on the Thursday night. I’d been there before, but it was quite a while ago and, despite it being a major city, there hadn’t been any major parks at that time.

First stop then:

Happy Valley

I got to the park a little after opening to be greeted with quite a lot of coaches and crowds of kids on school trips. Not a great sign, but it turned out to be absolutely fine. They only had one ticket window open (most people just buy online now), and of course the solitary arsehole in front of me had to faff with countless questions. Just pay the money, get your ticket and f**k off!

It turns out that I was at the group booking window, so the ticket bint sent me to another, empty window, which she then came over to herself to sell me a ticket. Happy Valley nonsense.

There was also only one ticket gate/scanner open since others were being used for the school trips. People were also causing faff here by getting up to the gate and only then deciding to dig out their phones from the bottom of bags, find the relevant app and f**k about with QR codes. Every one, one after the other, despite seeing the exact same thing happening to every person in front of them. Why are people like this?

jnhlkn4.jpg

avS1n58.jpg

The school trip kids were very young, so I figured that low-capacity kiddy/family coasters needed to be done first. The Vekoma family boomerang was testing, but not due to open for a bit.

4i3A3gn.jpg

JHRxO3M.jpg

Have some pictures I took on the way to the next thing:

O2shJ8P.jpg

lxYPvvH.jpg

G2OdEfA.jpg

jB0iU9D.jpg

Nearby was a Vekoma family suspended coaster, which was due to open in 10 minutes, so I waited until they opened the queue line and got straight on to a front row ride. This turned out well since a huge group of kids arrived a couple of minutes before it opened as well.

eAPLzuW.jpg

1dnjs7B.jpg

Bj4zNw0.jpg

lqQRKJ9.jpg

Rw4NPcF.jpg

Next up was Wilderness Escape, a very well-themed Jinma mine train which you can’t really see much of at all from off ride. It shares part of the theming with the ubiquitous Happy Valley huge water drop thing. The school kids were around here as well by this point, but not many were actually riding, so it was still basically a walk-on.

2otzkg1.jpg

llR1lNV.jpg

yFxI8FM.jpg

wA2VqG5.jpg

LMOimJX.jpg

4zzObUl.jpg

Time for a proper cred then: Forest Predator, a B&M wing coaster. I think this is a clone of the one in Chongqing. If not, it must be pretty close.

UGML8vP.jpg

rs8yVQt.jpg

h2J64j8.jpg

XLTlrih.jpg

Happy Valley nonsense time! You’re stopped in the queue here, nowhere near the station. After a train has emptied and the station has been cleared of people, a miserable bitch of a ride-op slowly makes her way down here and does you the massive favour, which is clearly ruining her day, of actually letting you onto the coaster.

cArsU0p.jpg

It was dead, so whatever really. It’s just funny at this point.

5L86Q0p.jpg

qTMOkom.jpg

9XhESQV.jpg

Spb49p3.jpg

I was at the front of the queue to get into the queue, so headed for a front row ride first, then did a “quick” reride and headed for the back. One good thing here is that they weren’t assigning seats. I’ve mentioned this before, but if there’s no assigned seating on Chinese coasters, it’s often fairly easy to grab front or, especially, back row rides. This is where the faff works in your favour. I had a weird ride experience on the first ride when the random guy I was sitting with in the front row (two girls he was with were behind us) grabbed my hand on the way up the lift hill (“Sorry, my English is not good, but I’m very scary now”) and held it for the whole ride.

I’d had no idea but it turns out that the back row has backwards facing seats. There are no signs, no upcharge, no separate queue, no nothing. They’re just there. It must come as a bit of a shock to a lot of people if they haven’t been paying much attention.

cvjraeT.jpg

fdQLoxp.jpg

It was my first backwards ride on one of these, and I’m glad I’ve had the experience I guess. Forwards is better though.

I had a look in here, which was a horror walk-through themed to Cthulu. Kind of.

69tKnur.jpg

QSk7JIX.jpg

I stood in the following spot for way too long to try and get some pictures. Worryingly, no trains were coming through on the Intamin, Light of Revenge.

VB4yWXr.jpg

EsY8TEc.jpg

uZryJLg.jpg

FbuK9pF.jpg

g3OLUNB.jpg

BhYqrJ6.jpg

NKYEvUG.jpg

In previous posts, a couple of us have pointed out the improvements in OCT’s / Happy Valley’s websites, which now have scheduled ride closures clearly announced. You can happily ignore these:

X7MICv2.jpg

According to the website, the ride was open from 11am. Nope. Closed for “maintenance” a nearby flat ride was also unexpectedly closed for maintenance, but there were actually a couple of people doing maintenance, and the sign out front had an expected opening time. Not here though. This is purely speculation on my part, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was because of the accident on the S&S launcher at their Shenzhen park a few days prior. Different manufacturer, different launch system and no way that a second train needs to be worried about, but this is Happy Valley, so…

Anyway, it’s close enough to a Cheetah Hunt clone, which won’t excite many people, but I’m one of the few people who seem to really like it. I would’ve been more pissed off if it hadn’t been a near clone, but this was still a total bummer.

UsU7pdE.jpg

CPZ17EQ.jpg

G18KRN8.jpg

tAamXjm.jpg

RzNIQyn.jpg

hLYv6TX.jpg

i2DZjUt.jpg

At some point I went back to the family boomerang, which had a whole train’s wait, but was actually being operated somewhat efficiently.

I’ll just chuck some other pictures in. I didn’t do the 5D cinema thanks to just missing one show and not being arsed to wait around for the next one. At least I think/hope it was just a cinema and not a dark ride. The signage seemed to suggest so. There was an aquarium/indoor zoo which was different for a Happy Valley park.

aN1f9SO.jpg

TyFAalU.jpg

04NZ8cC.jpg

KzzTjkQ.jpg

lvf7x4W.jpg

zJIupo0.jpg

4usZHjf.jpg

IaclgzK.jpg

NbFN7Ln.jpg

vAETSMC.jpg

D5RQJu2.jpg

I didn’t hang around after that, getting out of the park in the early afternoon. Despite Happy Valley’s infamously crappy operations – admittedly no worse that most other Chinese parks - I usually quite like them. This one just didn’t hit right with me at all though. Even taking the closed coaster out of the equation, I found it all a bit dead and soulless. I really liked the B&M though.

Not too far away was an indoor park from Wanda, inside one of their massive shopping malls. They sold all their parks to Sunac, but it seems that some (all?) of the indoor parks still keep the Wanda brand.

Wanda Theme Park

LiMXcDG.jpg

YY1j5Np.jpg

It goes without saying that I went into the mall at completely the wrong end, so it was a good 10-minute walk to find the park. First impressions were good though; it looks gorgeous and is a bit of a wow moment when going from a bland shopping mall into this:

WqfEC3c.jpg

tSxRRRX.jpg

MHWYebB.jpg

zmKsr5K.jpg

HaB14zy.jpg

18tBLi9.jpg

There was nobody here. I caught the Disk-O running with a couple of people on it, but otherwise I pretty much had the place to myself.

oRBtJGy.jpg

C6dIy2i.jpg

dAkzrFr.jpg

OMqOBc4.jpg

9cNI7iN.jpg

There’s a Zamperla motorbike coaster.

ajsEbC5.jpg

QEZ3QjT.jpg

Which wasn’t open.

yk8rpZc.jpg

6r95Jsd.jpg

reKhZ1F.jpg

Up an escalator, there’s another coaster, a family spinner thing:

8nz9b3R.jpg

ldi9P0i.jpg

Which wasn’t open.

iiyJj3L.jpg

F**k this place then. The spinner seemed quite clearly SBNO. I asked about the motorbike coaster opening later, but was getting quite evasive answers, which I took to mean “No, but we can’t say that.” The park was too far away from the city to bother taking a gamble on a return visit, so that was that.

It was still early, so I did a revisit to an “if there’s time” park, a zoo I’d been to before, but which has since replaced a cred with something new.

Hongshan Forest Zoo

This is a really decent zoo, not just by Chinese standards.

obeLhgi.jpg

LAwVskB.jpg

Bb0baNJ.jpg

The animals have really good enclosures. Spot the pandas:

A6e5Dun.jpg

5DYpL2T.jpg

They’re also very good on education, with information in both Chinese and English including lots about the cruelty of certain Chinese practices regarding animal welfare, bulls**t “medicine” etc.

LAwVskB.jpg

K0m56Wo.jpg

ECJdoXQ.jpg

JivTlo8.jpg

0VqkBeE.jpg

I already had this cred and didn’t need a reride:

V46UqYf.jpg

sBLC83R.jpg

They used to have a Jinma spinner, but that has been removed and replaced with a Jinma spinner. The old one was the ZXC-24A model, and the replacement is the ZXC-24C model. It was massively different.

70uujfj.jpg

cq2WYel.jpg

AfOJV1m.jpg

There were some +1s that I’d been planning to tick off the next day, but decided to get them out of the way since they were pretty much on the way back to the hotel anyway.

Pu Tien Island Paradise

I didn’t spot that name being used anywhere, but it’s a small amusement park section of the quite massive Xuanwu Lake Park. It’s also really far from the main entrance, but being on a separate island has no easy way to get to it more quickly than a 15-minute walk. The park itself was lovely, though School trip central again.

ZTAEh6Z.jpg

wensebd.jpg

sgSsa2K.jpg

OFxvKGS.jpg

The cred was closed, and, judging by the dead leaves in the cars, had been for some time.

BZsdjXI.jpg

21xq2GF.jpg

fLDNva0.jpg

15 minutes back to the park entrance then, and onto the final place of the day.

Baima Park

Again, I came in at the wrong end, so had a bit of a walk to the amusement park area.

RBOgv02.jpg

X3GfhRs.jpg

The place was dead, and didn’t even seem open, but it was.

JbZi8rV.jpg

dYnDm6G.jpg

UEi4J0R.jpg

The cred looked pretty closed, but there was a ride op in the booth. Excellent. I asked her where to buy tickets and she pointed me towards the main entrance (I’d come in from the opposite side). Yep, there’s a ticket booth with two windows open, something which Happy Valley couldn’t manage.

The front of the glorious park, massively overstaffed ticket booth to the right:

2x4Vsl9.jpg

I did what I always do at these ticket booths, held up a picture of the cred and held up a finger for “one”. It was “closed for maintenance”. Why is there a ride up sitting up there then? Why did she send me to the ticket booth? Ok, technically she had answered my question of “where can I buy tickets”, but why the f**k did she think I’d climbed the stairs to her booth to ask her specifically?

I missed out on this, which actually looked ok for a crappy Chinese +1.

fKcwsKU.jpg

InBOpWD.jpg

z0XVWx0.jpg

It was back to the hotel after what had been an exhausting, but ultimately very unfulfilling day. There was the potential for 10 new creds that day, and I only ended up with 5. It had to happen sooner or later I guess. I’ve been considerably lucky with the small, crappy parks in the past, so this day was always going to happen at some point. The only real disappointment (apart from a crappy cred count boost) was Light of Revenge, though I guess Wanda really pissed me off as well.

So yeah, not a great day and made me worry for the following day in Nanjing as well. That’ll be the next bit.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
I didn’t do the 5D cinema thanks to just missing one show and not being arsed to wait around for the next one. At least I think/hope it was just a cinema and not a dark ride.
You can once again sleep at night, safe in the knowledge that it was just a cinema. A sh*t one too of course.

MartyNZ

Roller Poster
Gavin, what date were you planning to hit Guangzhou? I went to Sunac Land on Saturday 4th November on a long layover and Dueling Dragons was closed. It looked like it had been closed for a while to be honest.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Gavin, what date were you planning to hit Guangzhou? I went to Sunac Land on Saturday 4th November on a long layover and Dueling Dragons was closed. It looked like it had been closed for a while to be honest.
I wasn't planning on doing any parks in Guangzhou. I would have just been there for work. I've been there a number of times and done all the major parks around there, including Sunac.

I went there quite soon after it opened, so they were actually running both sides of Dueling Dragons. Well, not at the same time, but they alternated each side for a couple of hours each.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The next day was another new park, one which I knew pretty much nothing about other than it had one of the newer Vekoma coasters.

Dragon Valley

As with the previous day, I arrived to find quite a few groups of young school kids, but very few people other than that. At the ticket booth, the woman behind the counter told me that there were 3 main attractions down. Not a good start, and obviously a cause of cred anxiety seeing that there are 3 coasters here (well, 4 really), but I was already there at that point.

The main entrance area is impressive, with a huge central funnel-shaped screen.

W5UWGsy.jpg

e2OQNT1.jpg

LgBJNpV.jpg

I headed directly outside first and was very impressed by the mountain façade in the middle of the park. This mountain is surrounded by a bunch of large, indoor areas – each with a different theme – with the coasters also being outside.

2nFuMhe.jpg

mDjegg8.jpg

This thing first then. Ugh. I was almost hoping it was closed, but it wasn’t.

ghMdaXT.jpg

You access it though a space/futuristic themed indoor area, crossing a bridge to get to it. It was about 10 minutes off the opening time at 10am, so I got the first train of the day along with one random bloke. This was accompanied by Just Give Me a Reason, by P!nk. Total piece of s**t (the ride; the song’s ok).

zWp7i2z.jpg

ymrByzZ.jpg

abI4Aa1.jpg

8TyHQEf.jpg

WuYDqZ6.jpg

The gift shop at the ride exit was spectacular.

DXR7Ut1.jpg

c4hljs1.jpg

Some other stuff from this indoor area.

CAOf7F4.jpg

c2ckruK.jpg

UPp5bB7.jpg

This was a large dark ride, but it was closed. This was disappointing, but I could tick it off the “3 main attractions closed” list.

793pCz7.jpg

8x9D356.jpg

PmdYaNp.jpg

I headed out to another coaster, which was actually a pair of racing coasters. I had to wait a couple of trains for this thanks to a fairly big school group. I got to listen to Just Give Me a Reason, by P!nk, while I was waiting.

rxMFHpM.jpg

QtEnLoJ.jpg

max2r87.jpg

Obviously, they were only running one side. It’s fair enough on a quiet day, but I don’t imagine they ever bother running both sides at any other time. There was no way one closed side of this would be included in the “three main attractions” though.

tRTI1Tv.jpg

n42cZWh.jpg

5AGwrZ1.jpg

oPk2F5K.jpg

YwaxrgY.jpg

The next indoor area had a forest theme.

QRXxC50.jpg

yAnSaY9.jpg

vCQ2TzI.jpg

BZ3qF7q.jpg

DUXUYGa.jpg

NcgTrGh.jpg

There was a rapids ride that was closed along with a flying theatre. Would this, along with the 4D dark ride from earlier, constitute the “3 main attractions”? I wasn’t bothered about the rapids, but I hadn’t done a flying theatre in a while. Luckily, any disappointment was abated by being able to listen to Just Give Me a Reason, by P!nk, over the speaker system.

xd5D8vF.jpg

BNYkEmy.jpg

94zqRgL.jpg

Vt2066Q.jpg

AFt4Cf5.jpg

dTbKGvX.jpg

rTmzy4U.jpg

dC4ns3S.jpg

And then it was out to the main attraction, Jungle Dragon. The area was pretty empty, and there was no sign of anything happening. Luckily though, the ride was opening at 11, and, sure enough, at five minutes to, P!nk’s Just Give Me a Reason could be heard starting up in the station.

AIJoRdZ.jpg

BM66GXE.jpg

GHeP02L.jpg

Sh66tNl.jpg

fM3Kh6L.jpg

It was an excellent coaster as well. It’s the same coaster type as Abyssus at Energylandia, but doesn’t have the faffy bit at the start – it goes straight into the main launch and top hat – instead having an extra inversion later on.

oxkeAWx.jpg

cNjH7OP.jpg

bOSxxDW.jpg

ptfZ2KH.jpg

cogq4x1.jpg

lopHLzf.jpg

4UjGkKp.jpg

h98JiGt.jpg

2bh8eqf.jpg

I figured that the mountain would just hold the station for the water ride. I decided to ride this just in case it was a surprise cred.

oinnlo4.jpg

G6MhtLL.jpg

You know how a lot of theming elements are basically just facades on an otherwise empty building? Not here. The whole thing is like a giant cave – well, more like a network of caves – and was absolutely stunning. I know the whole “pictures don’t do it justice” thing is a massive cliché, but it’s absolutely true in this case. It was huge, and done really, really well.

U1RYqP9.jpg

YHmbCqN.jpg

0Qdov5k.jpg

BoQiJNt.jpg

pxzyfvq.jpg

uk4TaHT.jpg

The ride was, unfortunately, just a typical water splash thing, but it had a vertical lift rather than a lift hill. I only saw that after I’d ridden it. Otherwise, I could’ve put the “is it a cred” idea to bed and not bothered riding it. Also, the whole cave area had proper atmospheric theme park music instead of P!nk’s Just Give Me a Reason, so that was nice.

4XEWs1p.jpg

DLm8nSb.jpg

cKMR3uH.jpg

YAhLoST.jpg

I spent quite a while just exploring the “caves”. There are multiple entrances, exits and levels. There was actually a tour group of old people being led though them at one point.

y42fDus.jpg

iSXLPlN.jpg

VE4AWmc.jpg

HqVNUVm.jpg

pgNSLPV.jpg

NTKYkSu.jpg

TSBwn8O.jpg

TkCNUqG.jpg

Qij9O7c.jpg

MAX1V7e.jpg

E0Oa0ap.jpg

4fb1rUi.jpg

bn8DEzS.jpg

GNG3o5E.jpg

There was also the “Treasure Museum” hidden away. I figured that the room I could see though the entrance was all it was, but it turned out to be a massive, 3-level actual museum. It was amazing.

NwPDFxA.jpg

DZRjExd.jpg

POpeaLu.jpg

auGyirl.jpg

0DkijPq.jpg

PnXrCh3.jpg

FVGTIj5.jpg

WuSIw7v.jpg

DO9JNaf.jpg

BAW9a19.jpg

dgnqrYW.jpg

1bJhzAV.jpg

se4iAdL.jpg

RLLsZFo.jpg

PlqmgWM.jpg

yihERvf.jpg

F1vFIwx.jpg

I2xOoKa.jpg

m4QkcYI.jpg

LmAA8Ze.jpg

t8S8IrJ.jpg

SkCpE2S.jpg

lCpikiO.jpg

Bi0xGXV.jpg

Have some more of the caves:

F20A5XV.jpg

OgDhN5h.jpg

zqnLgTJ.jpg

KAjxG9d.jpg

I’d originally been thinking of heading to the nearby Pearl Spring Resort. I’d been there before, but there’s a crappy +1 since last time. However, since I was spending more time here than planned, I knocked that on the head, deciding instead to do the ferris wheel and some Jungle Dragon rerides.

The ferris wheel had a cool design, but the glass was filthy, so taking pictures just didn’t work.

ddWdNAg.jpg

65caaKF.jpg

C75DU8L.jpg

BQ6qgtF.jpg

siojGMU.jpg

1XiA3FT.jpg

vbq6Rk8.jpg

wZTsQ8E.jpg

kDRWQS6.jpg

aHFcFyr.jpg

Even though the entrance I’d used to get into the mountain the first time was very close to a horror walkthrough, I’d missed it. Doesn’t matter since it was closed anyway. Surely that makes it 4 closed main attractions?

P3gxmlr.jpg

7GYOpMu.jpg

aMh5dJX.jpg

Uo3jDbw.jpg

B7YSyMD.jpg

OMVvssJ.jpg

A few more of this thing then. Excellent coaster.

QpIau2D.jpg

lnZTsKj.jpg

fmvBgaJ.jpg

wA9VX2q.jpg

vn95VNc.jpg

6JXqggh.jpg

Back to the main entrance:

cB1hgNE.jpg

HWj1wvr.jpg

WHEsLMj.jpg

lAo1rm3.jpg

And exit through the gift shop, which in true Chinese park fashion had no actual park merch and was just filled with generic tat, accompanied by Just Give Me a Reason, by P!nk.

PgLQ8XM.jpg

qUvr0oR.jpg

This place was such a mixed bag. The Vekoma was excellent and there’s amazing theming and a few filler flat rides, but having a major dark ride and flying theatre closed was a bit crap give their popularity. It was a Saturday, and it was basically empty. There’s a big indoor/outdoor waterpark as well, but that was closed for the season, so maybe that’s more of a main draw.

I had an evening flight, but enough time to knock-off a couple of small parks on the way to the airport. There was another “proper” park on the maybe list, but it was just too far out given the time I had left, and there were only a couple of crappy +1s anyway.

Green Bo Garden

I’m not sure why I hadn’t been here on my first Nanjing visit. I’m guessing maybe it hadn’t been “discovered” by that point. There’s just a jungle mouse anyway.

ME6SRVG.jpg

5nUhAMK.jpg

Spite!

swRUbon.jpg

pxFAgng.jpg

One more place then:

Yuhuaitai Park

As usual, this was a small amusement park area in one corner of a huge park. I didn’t have time to have a look around though. It was a quick in and out for the creds. No issue with riding the kiddy worm either. Shameful.

aKOg48a.jpg

ueqL7TX.jpg

DPanXTB.jpg

JFhkdB3.jpg

Y6e8rUc.jpg

y4EEvmG.jpg

QVPibaO.jpg

HolGwX3.jpg

7ZN10el.jpg

And, after having a much better day than the one before, that was Nanjing done. I got a short flight down to Ganzhou and continued with the original plan for this short trip, so that’ll be in the next part.[/u]

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
As I said before, Ganzhou was the original plan for this trip before I ended up with a couple of extra days. It’s not going to be on many people’s radar - it wasn’t really on mine - but there’s one of the newer Fantawild parks there. There’s also a fairly new high-speed train station, so once I realised how easy it was to get to, that cemented it.

Knowing nothing about the place, I did a quick bit of research after arriving at the hotel the first evening, and found a bit of other stuff to do since I had two days there and there was only the one proper park. Close to Fantawild was a scenic area with some old rock carvings and stuff, so I headed there quite early to have a quick look before hitting the park.

2NOBr6m.jpg

sqYKWSF.jpg

3KC9c1w.jpg

ISAx3Xp.jpg

It was really nice, and much bigger than I’d expected. Going early was the better option since it was a weekend and the tour groups started arriving quite soon after I arrived. I imagine that by mid-morning, it would be quite awful.

1NcXUsZ.jpg

Fn3PZHY.jpg

3FUIiHk.jpg

IfqXVQv.jpg

g6IIF2e.jpg

yx8iaL9.jpg

KOiXFzo.jpg

huYm6KZ.jpg

j7CGhyz.jpg

The park was only about a 10-minute drive away.

Fanta Park Glorious Orient

This is one of Fantawild’s newer park types (after Adventure, Dreamland, Oriental Heritage etc.) and I hadn’t tried one before.

8Jkbwpw.jpg

wjfusy6.jpg

Hz7C3g6.jpg

WL2JCCQ.jpg

I headed straight for the main coaster, another new Vekoma, and was less than happy to see a bit of a queue.

Uqqlem7.jpg

sutuBlc.jpg

0KTFM7e.jpg

H4iXta9.jpg

PHsy0m6.jpg

That doesn’t look too bad, because it isn’t, but this is a single, 8-seater train at a Fantawild park, with a dispatch every 6-10 minutes. I ended up waiting 45-minutes, which could’ve been an hour if I hadn’t got a ride op to let me skip forward when I was closer to the front to fill an otherwise empty seat - a concept which hadn’t occurred to her, but she luckily accommodated.

BAqySnz.jpg

gtrjipP.jpg

aFT1kIg.jpg

It was very good – as these all are – but not up to the level of the one from the day before. I was worried at this point since I knew that operations would be similarly crap across the whole park. Unlike many other parks in China which now open until around 9pm, this place was closing at 5, with many rides closing from 4. It was already half eleven by this point, and I’d only got one ride done.

I didn’t need to worry though. I’d just hit the coaster at completely the wrong time. Everything else was pretty much walk-on - well, as close to walk-on as is possible to get at a Fantawild park – and the coaster itself was much quieter later in the day.

Skipped the water ride, did the family boomerang after a one-train wait.

tRdHx8z.jpg

Fbca9IQ.jpg

AQIvrBT.jpg

BNVaDY2.jpg

70prG3L.jpg

Fantawild are known for their dark rides, and this being a new park type also meant a bunch of rides I hadn’t tried before. First up was Railroad Warriors. The queue line is themed to an old train station. We had to wait for a few minutes and were then let in to watch the preshow, which was fine, but you know that the ride platform is sitting empty while this is all happening.

4CxdQxI.jpg

c4rH2uN.jpg

ZnHdiRf.jpg

A typical Fantawild feature: huge cattle pens which will never get used thanks to guests never being allowed to wait in them, and there never being enough guests anyway. Seriously, these are “Universal” length queue lines. If any of these were even a quarter full at Fantawild, it would be the only ride you’d get on that day.

LXP5Rm4.jpg

msJw9S5.jpg

Anyway, it’s a motion-base 4D dark ride with a mix of sets and 3D screens, and it was amazing! The basic story seems to be that army troops are escorting/protecting the train from the Japanese, or something like that. Anyway, it’s very military-based. The physical sets were stunning and the screen-based stuff also worked really, really well. With some of their old rides of this type, for example Dino Rampage, the ride hardware isn’t particularly great, but here the movement is perfectly synced to the screens and everything flows together really well.

iXQTqc7.jpg

Next up was Hangar Breakout, which turned out to be a similar ride system to Railroad Warriors. This one was more heavily screen-based though, and the theme was planes instead of trains, though the premise of killing the Japanese seemed very similar. It was an excellent ride, but wasn’t as good as the previous one. The area it was in was also very well-themed.

lL2KMCj.jpg

E6PmSPy.jpg

MwHEtV3.jpg

1WcOgzk.jpg

wobyrwK.jpg

uuctTbH.jpg

4YsCM10.jpg

EntIiFg.jpg

There was a very impressive “old Hong Kong” style area which had a show theatre and some restaurants, but not much else. You can see how quiet the park was though. You could also tell that this would look amazing at night because of the lights on everything, but nobody is ever going to see that since they close at 5pm.

IktVyap.jpg

oZPlvkD.jpg

TFpQMr1.jpg

x2QRxwB.jpg

XP8nWbC.jpg

HOsfA1i.jpg

xn3Mq5u.jpg

m436oGL.jpg

oUbvWOc.jpg

cAYxb3F.jpg

XTVqytG.jpg

Splash battle. No.

Da83nMN.jpg

Another new dark ride, and holy s**t it’s a good one, Zhiyuan (an actual historic warship). There was nother military theme – I was starting to get the premise of the “Glorious Orient” brand; they really should just call it “Glorious China” – but this time obviously themed to boats/warships. This time, they’ve been “inspired by” Shanghai Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean for the ride system. This was the most patriotic ride so far. The final, HUGE, screen changes from naval victory/warships to container ships/ports to show us how amazing China is when it comes to everything boat.

aTeqzHi.jpg

SIoOF8b.jpg

NhuNwtP.jpg

vMhqY5V.jpg

TLDSRnB.jpg

5SVRSkR.jpg

lNWyPGa.jpg

Another theatre/show. The three big shows here were playing once each: one at 2pm, one at three and one at four. I’d been very impressed by some of Fantawild’s shows in the past, but also missed quite a few due to show times, so decided to try these out.

OQ4YqqT.jpg

RLljf7x.jpg

There was a kiddy cred to knock off first, and a reride on the Vekoma.

mmSTXsp.jpg

QtpV0mg.jpg

OMRm2Pk.jpg

oWxeL11.jpg

By this point, they’d added a second train, which was completely pointless since they were still only getting one out every 6 minutes or so. I also realised for the first time that it quite well-themed to an aircraft carrier, something you can’t really tell from the front/entrance to the ride other than the train itself and the launch sound effects.

L6aqNIZ.jpg

3H52jBr.jpg

fSRupPM.jpg

9SGJvHc.jpg

P0osb68.jpg

P2GzRrp.jpg

The first show then – Heroine – seemingly about female soldiers/military/others. It used a combination of screens, projections and live actors really effectively (different layers of screens, huge glass projection surface/Pepper’s ghost etc.) to give an excellent 3D effect. It was very boring though.

ZWEd1lJ.jpg

HY5BXEE.jpg

EaYXpL2.jpg

a2jwDle.jpg

xIxLaE9.jpg

7TVRxvP.jpg

QBVchss.jpg

I had a quick look inside a building in the kiddy area on the way to the next show and found a walk-on shooter. It was really good as well, much better than Fantawild’s usual “Toy Stoy Mania” set up.

mKselwb.jpg

PpV2zcZ.jpg

wrYx0Ev.jpg

hhUGxjy.jpg

tF5Vg1H.jpg

I’d somehow missed the flying theatre. It was running to a half-hourly schedule, and due to there only being 3pm, 3:30 or 4pm slots left, I had to decide whether to skip this or one of the shows.

7PLlsyO.jpg

I decided to skip the flying theatre. I’m not a huge fan of them, but I’m sure that this one was probably done very well. There are other “Glorious Orient” parks though, at least one of which I’ll probably get to in the spring, so I’ll get it done then. I’d also missed a 3D cinema, though I’m sure this was the same thing (possibly even the same film given the “YAY CHINA” theme) as at the Oriental Heritage parks.

The next show then: The Glorious Years. This was in a very large building with the seating area in the middle, surrounded by a 360-degree stage. Walls open/close and the seating area rotates to reveal different scenes. Again, it’s total propaganda and is technically very impressive, but is somehow quite boring.

o29FejP.jpg

1ks1C2l.jpg

6a1hzlp.jpg

cKLDJh7.jpg

lpxlysB.jpg

YPuBKdR.jpg

LlazPcW.jpg

ku0AseW.jpg

1S1DByp.jpg

9yh0Fk9.jpg

DfoNibN.jpg

7kN0vDe.jpg

The final show was “Old Summer Palace”, about a building that burns down, I think. This was less impressive since it just consisted of screens moving on and off the stage.

Txgcx5I.jpg

fl6JBI5.jpg

aJLybHE.jpg

wiQIzYV.jpg

I think the main problem with the shows was that they were incredibly wordy. Obviously, this is worse when you don’t understand the language, but even if you do, I think it’s still too much. Each show was 30-40 minutes long, and pretty much the entire length of each one had constant narration, either from a physical narrator or the soundtrack. These are theme park shows; that level concentration from the audience, in any language, is just a chore.

By the time I was out of that last show, at around 4:40, everything was closed, so I headed out.

v5gdSJ7.jpg

Overall then. When I hit another of this park type (probably Ningbo first), I’ll be skipping the shows, doing stuff I missed here and and reriding Railroad Warriors and Zhiyuan. Despite some very impressive attractions, it’s hard to say whether I actually enjoyed the park or not. It’s just soooooooooo heavy-handed with the military/war/battle propaganda. Sure, it’s based on real events, so you can argue it’s somewhat historical/educational despite the clear bias.

But where’s the fun? You’re just constantly getting hit over the head with Chinese war victories and “look how we managed to rise up from such horrible oppression at the hands of the evil Japanese.” It’s just all a bit much.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
I came away from the Ningbo version feeling much the same. Some of their newest dark ride tech and presentation is incredible but the theme isn't something you want to live over and over. Much prefer the fantasy/mythology stuff in that regard.

You're probably fine to have missed the flying theatre, if it's the same as other Glorious Orients then its just some generic wafting over China which isn't up to par with the rest of their stuff, or others in the country at this point.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah, exactly. With the first ride, Railroad Warriors, I actually quite enjoyed the more realistic/adult aspect to the ride, but at that stage, I hadn't figured out that everything is based on real battles, which definitely changes the dynamic a bit, especially when you start to understand the general tone and every consequent ride/show does the exact same thing.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I had a train out the next evening, but still had a full day to kill with some tourism and +1s. View from the hotel:

dEMj4k3.jpg

TBrzzs3.jpg

There was a park not too far from Fantawild, and I’d intended to check it out on the same day, but sacked it off until later. I was pretty sure it wouldn’t even be open (Trip.com had it down as closed), but I thought I’d check anyway.

Baohulu Farm

Yeah, it was closed and clearly had been for a while. There’s loads of construction for a new road/flyover. The cred’s still there, though. Here are way too many pictures of a closed park.

wQTc6Mo.jpg

67rROx9.jpg

5znXuVS.jpg

Ydl7O5k.jpg

rFyu5C4.jpg

rqgh7md.jpg

m4tf4Cu.jpg

2eh4sYC.jpg

QE5lcFK.jpg

n2kKcGH.jpg

cw0GAkP.jpg

ebpfij4.jpg

That was a waste of time then. I got a taxi to one of the main touristy bits of the city. This consisted of an old city wall and pavilions, which were mostly reconstructed in the ‘80s. Being a Monday, it wasn’t too busy and was all very pleasant.

VI66yeJ.jpg

XIxIonW.jpg

BGtnoer.jpg

xBgoqRp.jpg

Vq5CtyD.jpg

33VrzBZ.jpg

kjeI926.jpg

rieXLnY.jpg

uUGBfRO.jpg

DvJvW8D.jpg

md6p5UI.jpg

zGdEwmU.jpg

iFsztEA.jpg

fgut2yK.jpg

n9ytCYy.jpg

WMeJyhn.jpg

qCtkpDv.jpg

SPNTxqM.jpg

G8vciup.jpg

w5JjfJG.jpg

3quhFhC.jpg

iqMnG0l.jpg

l11DRcf.jpg

Lwpfo0g.jpg

ORQqMYW.jpg

ura9ti4.jpg

np3WjkZ.jpg

There were some creds to be had at a nearby zoo.

Ganzhou Forest Zoo

Only there weren’t.

ciGDRqH.jpg

Osg4RYw.jpg

This place was gross, and ridiculously overpriced (about 5 quid) for what was there. They had a very small rides area, but there weren’t any coasters in it and clearly never had been.

Pp4ilfN.jpg

SXnR2hF.jpg

sMlimJv.jpg

0FZYauA.jpg

I6HewZK.jpg

qiVbmph.jpg

UMjk5MA.jpg

The area with the two coasters was outside the zoo completely, slightly to the south. However, these were gone. Satellite images were out of date and there was nothing left there. There’s some new kiddy slide complex, but that was it.

J7LvblA.jpg

FB4TB5T.jpg

4Wn9jgX.jpg

4PbSj4t.jpg

OzuIaCk.jpg

SjcijBo.jpg

8KmIB0W.jpg

There was a new park to check out, so I made that the last thing to do before heading to the train station.

Shilihuaxi Amusement Park

This place had opened earlier in 2023, and was actually a bit bigger than I’d expected. It’s part of a newly-developed area which also had an under construction ferris wheel.

zXH6Q7O.jpg

dYrO05h.jpg

dtCJyDx.jpg

eXYhOmQ.jpg

It was pink. Very, very pink.

i5aASe5.jpg

opiATMB.jpg

8f0YUj7.jpg

KoWOvh7.jpg

Z6XeF09.jpg

FCDFDDN.jpg

5aiYRVf.jpg

0O5ruAN.jpg

ib7aTgN.jpg

0Hz46qK.jpg

sRh3EEN.jpg

5DGxYoc.jpg

FMgzTDm.jpg

hSEFLs6.jpg

The coaster was just a Jinma family thing. Got the cred at least after finding all the others closed/removed.

sxYGFdv.jpg

dVaRIAP.jpg

dusKewz.jpg

Casual copyright infringement:

a9WITNd.jpg

And then it was to the train station. There’s a fairly new high-speed station that has one direct train to Hong Kong at around 8pm, taking about 2 and a half hours, so that worked out perfectly and there was no need to faff with transfers at Guangzhou or Shenzhen. Ganzhou was nice enough really, especially considering it hadn’t been on my radar at all until very shortly before taking this trip, and it was good to get to a new Fantawild park after quite a long break from them.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Great report as always

Can't say Ganzhou has been on my radar much either. Obviously there's the FW but I tend to mix my park visiting with culture and nothing in Ganzhou really stood out as worth a visit by itself and I'm not sure the FW stands out as worth a visit by itself either. Not when there's multiple other near identical parks out there with better supporting parks nearby.

But having said that it looks like a pleasant enough city. Maybe one to keep in mind if a train I get passes through the region.

Edit - as an aside you are correct the B&M wing in Nanjing is essentially a clone of the Chongqing one. However there is a minor difference. The dogleg on the track after the big corkscrew is markedly bigger in the Nanjing version making it more a L shaped layout (I guess just due to the road being in the way in Nanjing). The elements are all the same and in the same order though.

Last edited:

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Bored on the ship so did a quick sketch over the Google Earth outlines of the rides. (Bearing in mind that the angle of the satellite view affects things quite a bit and is the reason the corkscrews look different sizes i think)
Its a mess but it shows a couple of differences. Chongqing has an turn out of the station and into the loop which Nanjing doesnt. And Nanjing turns more after the corkscrew.

All the inversions and the general layout are the same though.
Wing3.jpg