What's new

Anglesey

Mit deLuxe

Hyper Poster
Since Gavin was showing Wrecsam to everybody I'm going to show you where I have lived all my life.. Anglesey, which in Welsh is called Ynys Môn.
If you have no idea where Anglesey is here is map for you!
britaingreatbritain3756.gif

It's the Island coloured in red.
Anglesey is a well preserved island with only one retail outlet on the island. However there is no Cinema or Bowling. For most people on the Island we have to travel to Bangor which is in mainland Wales, to get here we have two famous bridges called Menai bridge and Britannia bridge.
The Menai bridge is one of the world most important bridges ever, why? Well it was the worlds first suspension bridge, designed by Thomas Telford work began on the 130+ ft towers in 1819 and finished in 1826.
MenaiSuspensionBridge.jpg

Britannia Bridge on the other hand... It was built in 1846 and was finished by 1850. It was a remarkable bridge when it first opened it was the worlds longest wrought iron bridge spanning 1,511-feet whereas before the longest had been 30ft. When opened it was only able to carry train across but that all changed when a fire broke out on the 23rd of May 1970 the result of a bunch of boys dropping a burning torch.
rep7.jpg

The bridge was totally ruined so they took the tubular Iron sections down and built a new version with two levels, the lower holds the train line and the upper holds the only part on the A55 where it is a single lane carriage way!
menaibridges340.jpg

Part 2 coming soon!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I bet that bridge is the best thing to come out of Anglesey? Just like the M275 is the best thing to come out of Portsmouth.

Emmett

Giga Poster
Holyhead :cry:.

What part of Anglesey are you from Mit?

Anglesey is always the first and last place I see when getting the boat over from Dublin. I've only ever stuck to Holyhead though and the only other part I've visited was around Raf Valley. I will have to explore it more one day but Holyhead is pretty dodgy.

Why must everywhere else be so pretty, and why must I live in an ugly city :lol: .

Seriously though, that place looks pretty gorgeous! I don't see what is so great about the bridge though, but that might just be because I live right near the Ambassador bridge (Canada/America bridge).

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I used to love visiting Din Lligwy:
dinlli.jpg

It was that area we always used to frequent. If we wanted excitement, we'd hit Benllech :lol:

Not been onto the Island for probably 13 years though...

I absolutely adore Beaumaris castle, much better than the monstrosity at Caernarfon :lol:

Mit deLuxe

Hyper Poster
Emmett said:
Holyhead :cry:.

What part of Anglesey are you from Mit?

Anglesey is always the first and last place I see when getting the boat over from Dublin. I've only ever stuck to Holyhead though and the only other part I've visited was around Raf Valley. I will have to explore it more one day but Holyhead is pretty dodgy.

I'm from a small village called Brynsiencyn, which is situated aprox 4miles from Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyndrobwyllsantyseiliogogogoch.

Emmett

Giga Poster
^Cool, I've passed through the station a few times and visited some shops near the car park there. Its nice down that area going towards Bangor.