What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

Matt N

CF Legend
Finally rode it - bit poo. Thanks for reading.
That's a shame, @Lofty! Care to elaborate, if you wouldn't mind?

I personally loved Wicker Man, so I'm interested to see why you weren't such a fan. Although I suppose I've ridden 42 coasters and you've ridden *checks profile* 440, so I don't have as much to go off of as you do.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I wish I actually knew my coaster count, I've been riding coasters since before I can even remember. I'd estimate my coaster count to be in the region of 100-150, based on what I know I've been on.

Will

Strata Poster
^
It's not difficult to find out. Next time you're bored, go on one of the many websites that you can compile your list on (I think www.coaster-count.com is the go-to for most of us). You can even get a nice signature banner :) Then, when you feel like upgrading to true goondom, you can turn it into an excel spreadsheet ;)

Matt N

CF Legend
Captain Coaster is another good one @ATI; me and a couple of other CFers are signed up to it. It lets you rate coasters as well as log them!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
But I can't remember coasters I've ridden when I was very young, and some coasters I can't actually remember if I rode them or not. I did Dona rough count and it was in the early 100s.

Lofty

CF Legend
That's a shame, @Lofty! Care to elaborate, if you wouldn't mind?

I personally loved Wicker Man, so I'm interested to see why you weren't such a fan. Although I suppose I've ridden 42 coasters and you've ridden *checks profile* 440, so I don't have as much to go off of as you do.
Ok, so, it just offered me nothing. Sat at the back of the train and expected to find it enjoyable and rerideable and I just didn't? It seemed sluggish, any airtime that you could potentially get was quashed immediately as you start to feel positive G's because the profiling of the track means that the shallow hills provide little uplift. It just set of rattles around here and there and minces through a big theming structure. It doesn't pick enough speed up to pack a punch. I found it super underwhelming.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Ahhh such a shame ^^

I rode yesterday and thought it was FAB. A really good addition to AT. It was a very hot day though, around 23/24 degrees and it seemed to be hauling ass. Got two rides towards the front of the train, one back row and a second to back row.

It was fast paced, to the point that the pointless/dull corner hurt a bit. Gentle airtime on a couple of spots (nothing major) but let’s face it, it’s only a diddy coaster.

I guess with the temperature much lower it could be quite sluggish but on a hot May Day, it was hella fun. Very enjoyable.

Also, the pre show was sexy. Loved it.

Not even sorry.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Ridden Wickerman now. Wasn't impressed. I wasn't even that impressed with the theming and what not... It's nice en all, certainly a massive step up, but it's not the spectacle you'd assume from all the hype, I guess? People really seem to dig this thing and I just do not understand why.

The fire effects are straight up not on - what a surprise. I don't think the area works as well as I thought it would? Even the music, which I like, doesn't sound like the area looks? I think I need to spend more time around it and get in more rides before I can pin what my problem really is, or maybe I'll see the light. One really good thing is the queue. It doesn't switchback. It's mostly shaded. The queue is such a monumental step up from other recent coasters at Merlin parks.

The ride itself... Guys it's just, it's just... Lame. And I'm utterly baffled why everyone is so awestruck over this ride as a package. It doesn't do anything. It just farts about without any key moments, without any pace or sense of urgency or drama. The Wickerman structure is an irrelevance on the ride. I feel like I should preface this all by saying that I really love GCI, usually. I'm not someone who only likes intense rides, I'm not someone who's psychotic about coasters needing insane airtime. I just want a ride to be fun and have an exciting sense of pace or something unique going on. Lightning Racer at Hersheypark is one of my favourite woodies. It's not any more intense than Wickerman, it's just more exciting in the way it sequences. Again, I need to ride it more on different days in different seats, sure. Fully accept that. Will always admit to changing my mind.

Every time I've said Wickerman is lame someone says it's a family ride, so lemme just tackle that right now...

No it's not.

It was marketed at adults and themed to be intimidating and a big f-ing deal. It is not intended to be taken lightly.

But even if I were to accept that it's a family coaster... It's still not good! This is the part that absolutely blows my mind. It's not good as a family ride, either!

All the GCI woodies have a 1.2m height restriction. Yes, kids CAN ride them, but most of them are not aimed at kids. Dollywood's Thunderhead is an outstanding, relentless, thrilling ride with a 1.2m height restriction and photos of children enjoying it on their website, it's not a family coaster either. Wickerman should ride like Thunderhead or Renegade, not like Invadr. And It's somehow more tame and boring than Invadr. You know you messed up when you managed to make a woodie more dull than Busch did.

Being a family ride is not an excuse to be lame!

zazobo

Hyper Poster
^ sorry... totally disagree! But interesting to read your review none the less. I didn’t find it dull AT ALL...!

Loved the music/sound track choices too.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Another review after riding on Tuesday and Wednesday for the first time, if anyone is interested.

It is actually really good. This is coming from someone who from the beginning thought it looked uninteresting and slow. Even walking through the queue I still thought it looked slow and unexciting. It really took me by surprise when it was actually pretty wild and exhilarating. It is not super intense but that is what makes it very re-ridable.

Weather was beautiful too which made it look great and it warmed up nicely throughout the day.

Actually, the only bit I thought was a bit overhyped was the preshow, mainly because I thought the projected wicker head looked embarrassingly bad. Put in a real wicker head and it would look much better.

Here is my unpopular opinion: Wicker Man is the best ride at Alton Towers

streetmagix

Mega Poster
The issue I have with the preshow is that the projection was of pretty low resolution, I could see the individual pixels and the framerate wasn't smooth either. I was (A) at the front of the room and (2) a video engineer so I'm more aware of it than most I would guess.

spicy

Giga Poster
Yea agreed I got a couple of rides in for the first time this week had low expectations and was pleasantly surprised as I really enjoyed it. Definitely one of my favourite woodies but I haven't done that many, which is possibly why I enjoyed this so much.. Personally I would put it above Stampida/Gwazi/White Lightening but miles below Colossos for some kind of reference. It's not a world beater by any means but a good solid woodie and a great addition to the AT coaster line up and very re-rideable. The areas going to be incredible for night rides.

What I will say though, is the amount of people I saw that didn't fit into the trains was very surprising? I saw a few people who weren't particularly 'big' that had to do the walk of shame and couldn't ride. Is this normal for Millennium Flyer trains? I don't remember seeing this on Gwazi or White Lightening?

streetmagix

Mega Poster
I think the restright thing is weird, I had to be at the upper click on both my rides and I was fine. I saw people (much) smaller than me being stapled in and generally having issues. I understand (although I could be wrong) that Wicker Man is only the second GCI after Woden to NOT have additional seatbelts. Woden also had issues after opening and they had to get some extra big seats fitted as they were having so many issues.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
If you think Wicker Man is anywhere near the best family ride at Towers, let alone the best ride outright, then I want to know what you've been smoking, and where I can get it...

Will

Strata Poster
It's a bit of fun and by no means a bad addition - but the people in raptures over it utterly flummox me. To be honest, I kind of wish I'd had the same ride on it that they clearly did!