What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

Smithy

Strata Poster
It's not a bad shout that some feature of the trains is the worlds first tbh. You'd have expected some sort of footage or images by now.

witchfinder

Giga Poster
Also, the tower it has makes it look like a tesco from the 90’s painted green.
25DD6BF400000578-0-image-a-15_1424532080631.jpg

That's my local Tesco! :emoji_laughing:
The frontage has changed a bit now. It may also be the closest 'big' Tesco to Alton Towers, so maybe it was an inspiration?

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I doubt that Merlin would want to deal with a backwards coaster after X://WTF. It had to be closed so often while they dealt with sick cuz it was backwards.

Worlds first Wooden Standup coaster? Lol.

Yet they made Swarm go backwards and sick wasn't an issue... ;) Main issue with X was it was backwards in the dark in a warm building which doesn't have the greatest ventilation so it smells funny too. It was a cocktail of things which meant lots of people would be sick.

One, that would be terrible, and two, it wouldn't be the first.

Just trying to think for my own curiosity, what wooden coaster has run 'totally backwards'? Only woodie I know of that runs backward in any way is Switchback, but that's only a shuttle. Wouldn't put it past them to do the 'world's first totally backwards wooden roller coaster' or similar..

DelPiero

Strata Poster
The WF won't be backwards running.
It will be something totally made up by the marketing department which no other company would even think about using, even Six Flags.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Just trying to think for my own curiosity, what wooden coaster has run 'totally backwards'? Only woodie I know of that runs backward in any way is Switchback, but that's only a shuttle. Wouldn't put it past them to do the 'world's first totally backwards wooden roller coaster' or similar..

A few searches suggest one side of the Twin woodie Thunder Road at Six Flags Great America ran backwards in the early 2000s. Same went for Racer at Kings Island between 1972 and 2007. Thunderation at Silver Dollar City had a few cars turned backwards as well. All of those have since been turned forward-facing, though. And neither had the entirety of the coaster backwards, since I guess people generally prefer to see where they are going, so you'd best provide that option in addition to backwards-facing.

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
I don't think they ever mentioned "world first" in the marketing? Just "world-class" all the time...