What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

And interestingly in this vid from before it opened you can see it part grey, part black! (7 mins 52 seconds in)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ojniYSI1w[/youtube]

peep

CF Legend

You're clearly all colourblind, it was obviously pink in those old images and films...

No one cares, it's black now, get over it. :p

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

It was grey when I went in 1998 and the track showing in my opening day onride photo is grey too. FaceYourNemesis, the photo you've provided looks to be somewhat saturated. Whatevs though, it looks a little gross but I guess it'll grow on me. :D

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

Near confirmation judging on the sun newspaper that The Smiler will open on May 18th. Been seen on many forums now. That date seems reasonable to open.

Time to book your appointment...

lightning101

Roller Poster

Found out some things today.

The secret weapon part, we've already known about without realising.. its the 14 inversions.
Also the "laughing gas" will just be water vapour/mist which is administered on the inside bit at the start of the ride.

lightning101

Roller Poster

I've not posted on here in awhile but I joined during thirteen construction and made quite a few posts, yet its saying I joined in December and that was my first post? Haha

scw55

Hyper Poster

I've stopped caring about the 'secret weapon'. I'm finding everything else a lot more exciting. Besides there's always users on various coaster forums stating that their brother's girlfriend's hamster's dad who is part of this project told them that the Dyson Element exists or that there's as many inversions as sleepless nights.

I'm enjoying the tangle of steel and all the concept art around a spider with sharp bits.

Do any of you think that the 'spiked wall crushers' will still exist? On the original plans, a few 'scenery sets' were boxes which track went through, and on the side were spikiness.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

Just found these disseminated all over wordreference:

ouAKxio.png

sMObes8.png

iSRqLe3.png

8es88zd.png

Thought it was worth sharing...

The only problem with this marketing is that the overwhelming majority of observers will be clueless as to what the smiler even is. They may not necessarily associate the advert with a secret weapon.

Mark

Strata Poster

What does it being a secret weapon have to do with it though? They are simply (and quite clearly) ads for a new attraction at Alton Towers. The only people who care about its 'secret weapon status' are people like us...

Smithy

Strata Poster

thumb_s2ljtmv.jpg

Old picture from TPR/Alton's FB so probably already been seen/discussed.

But wow. Oblivion looks awesome, and that angle really gives a greater sense of scale as to the ride. Gonna be so many great vantage points, can't wait to see some of the photos people get of the ride. Oblivion on-ride will be pretty special too.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Isn't 'secret weapon' just what they use as a marketing strategy prior to a ride announced, so why would they ever say it in the ads? It's a clever little marketing trick to get the ride talked about, but it's sole purpose is to get interest, and once a name is announced, they really don't need to do that anymore.

Or am I missing something about it?

elephant58

Hyper Poster

^Sort of. Really, it's a planning name for any of their 'record-breaking' projects.

Nemesis - Europe's first inverted coaster (SW3)
Oblivion - World's first dive machine (SW4)
Air - World's first 'true' flying coaster (SW5)
Rita - Nothing special, so not a secret weapon
Thirteen - World's first freefall drop coaster (SW6)
Smiler - World's first something (SW7)

So, it's both a bit of marketing and a project name for their 'special' rides.

SW1 and 2 were both Arrow pipeline coasters that never got built on the Nemesis site. I think the Secret Weapon codename was derived from the fact that the pipeline coaster was supposed to be themed to a secret military base.

Martyn B

CF Legend

^ I *think* they were classed as "lay down" coasters....

elephant58

Hyper Poster

I think Vekoma's are classed as flyers, but generally, alot of people consider B&M's as being the first proper flying coasters, as you start and spent the majority of the ride in the prone position.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

CoasterCrazy said:
Just found these disseminated all over wordreference:

iSRqLe3.png

Thought it was worth sharing...

The only problem with this marketing is that the overwhelming majority of observers will be clueless as to what the smiler even is. They may not necessarily associate the advert with a secret weapon.

This one 'works' with the game's scanner. Nothing special, but it recognizes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.