What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

As crazy as this is now looking, I'm a little disappointed with all these inversions. I was looking forward to quite a few spots of airtime down the big drops, and the twisty hills at the end. :(

Tell ya what though, before these plans came out, who ever thought the inversion record would be broken without using tons of inline twists?!

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

225510_10151556278083185_384941361_n.jpg

Lovely...

And we were REALLY expecting this Wheel of Win thing to be fair? Company in prize-giving competition being limited in it's winners SHOCK! #OUTRAGE

marc

CF Legend

I just love the way it clicks over the stoppers even when there are none to go over lol.

It's probably set not to pay out until a May when they put the final update on.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Latest press release from AT.

Alton Towers Resort announced today that its new 2013 roller-coaster, The Smiler, is going to ‘marmalise’ the minds of riders to give them a thrill like no other. Not only will the ride involve plunging 30-metre drops, hurtling speeds of up to 85km per hour and extreme turns, but The Smiler will feature twisted psychological effects to mess with riders’ mind.
The combined physical and mental assault is rationalised by a new report from researchers at New Scientist magazine revealing that mental anticipation is a key-contributor for ensuring an extraordinary thrill experience.
Existing roller-coasters at the UK’s leading theme park already put the body through its paces. Now, The Smiler will play with the mind by blurring the lines between illusion and reality. Riders will be subjected to five mind manipulations including jabbing needles, blinding lights and optical illusions, to maximise the fear factor.

The Smiler’s 5 Mind Manipulations:
• The Inoculator (A jab of happiness as you pass by stage one of the Marmalisation process)
• The Tickler (Aims to tickle you until you cant resist smiling)
• The Flasher (A giant flashing device, blinding you as you hurtle underneath the leg)
• The Giggler (Infectious, intoxicating laughing gas)
• The Hypnotiser (Has the power to disorientate, mesmerize and disrupt your self-awareness)

The Thrill Report, commissioned by Alton Towers Resort and compiled by researchers from New Scientist, details the importance of using mental and physical cues on roller-coasters so riders can experience a greater sense of excitement.
The report has found that the ultimate ‘Thrill-Factor’ is composed of five ‘acts’ similar to the set-up of a play. This is because thrilling experiences work best when constructed as stories or narratives.

Exposition explains the set-up: a ride’s branding and its look and feel do this.
Rising action increases the user's anticipation of discomfort. Queuing is part of this "act", and the slow climb of the roller-coaster
Climax or crisis essentially the moment of terror, a precipitous drop or jerk, supplying both physical and mental cues for fear
Falling action involves turning terror into release, catharsis or pleasure. After a precipitous drop, roller coasters often follow smoother curves that are more enjoyable than the drop.
Denouement a period of reflection, a time to compare notes with friends, get a photo of ourselves on the ride, and maybe claim we weren’t scared at all.

“All the experiences we use to generate thrill – whether a scary film, bungee jump or roller-coaster - involve an element of fear. This ancient emotion is triggered by either a physical stimulus, such as pain or being thrown around, or a mental one, most commonly the anticipation of danger such as the rising action on a roller-coaster. Roller-coaster designers believe that by pulling both our mental and physical strings, it is possible to create the best possible thrill”, the report edited by New Scientist editor, Jeremy Webb says.
John Wardley, a ride consultant at Alton Towers Resort, commented: “We know people get a thrill when they ride roller-coasters, but in order to heighten that feeling of excitement we needed to design a roller-coaster that also incorporates a variety of mental cues. The Smiler will be different from other traditional coasters in that it will combine intense physical effects to put the body through its paces, along with the unique mental elements to mess with the mind. After riding the coaster they will have experienced full mind and body marmalisation.”
The Smiler will be Alton Towers Resort’s biggest ever investment and will feature a track the length of ten football fields, 30-metre drops and speeds of up to 85km per hour. The Smiler is an all controlling force committed to ensuring you smile. Always.

For more details on the The Smiler, coming to Alton Towers Resort in May 2013 visit www.the-smiler.com.

- Ends -

Notes to editors:
Marmalisation:
Marmalisation is a term to explain how The Smiler will make you feel. It can be interpreted as making you feel spaced out, or mashed up.

The Thrill Report:
The Thrill Report, commissioned by Alton Towers Resort covers four key areas of research.

1. Mental Manipulation
“Beford argues that thrilling experiences work best when constructed as stories or narratives. A theme park needs to go through five stages or “acts””(highlighted above)

2. Evolution
“When humans first evolved, we did not have the security of an advanced civilisation. Nowadays we are insulated from these threats, particularly in the West. So we seek out thrills in movies and theme parks.”

3. Personality Play
“People’s responses to thrilling experiences vary enormously. People who are curious and open to new experiences, and who are outgoing, assertive and energetic, are more likely to enjoy thrilling experiences.” Sensation-seekers may well produce more of a chemical called dopamine, in response to novel stimuli.
“Psychologists have found that thrill-seekers tend to have a more powerful neural response to new stimuli: they get more of a buzz from novel experiences than other people. Sensation-seeking even extends to their taste in food: they prefer stimulating food that is spicy or crunchy.”

4. Why We Go Back For More
“If people want to be happy why do they sometimes seek out experiences that are associated with displeasure or pain? Sensation-seekers tend to have fewer receptors in their midbrain so they may well produce more dopamine in response to novel stimuli. Dopamine is a key chemical in the brain’s ‘reward system.’”

About The Smiler:
In 2013, Alton Towers Resort will launch its biggest ever roller-coaster – The Smiler (www.the-smiler.com). The first of its kind in the world, The Smiler will be the biggest ever investment for a ride at the Resort. Whilst many of the details are still a closely guarded secret, here are a few exclusive facts:

• Highest drop – 30m
• Maximum speed – approx 85km/hr which is 10km/hr faster than Air
• Track length – 1,170m. This is 3x the length of Oblivion
• Ride time – 165 seconds which is 3x the ride time of Rita
• Passengers per ride train – 16 (4x rows of 4)
• Minimum rider height – 1.4m
• Location – X Sector, on the site of the old Black Hole ride
• Investment for the Resort - £18m
• Opening date – May 2013
Look like they'll be using a variety of effects to play with riders minds.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

Its gonna make me feel, "mashed up". I don't remember being hired by Alton Towers PR dept...?

marc

CF Legend

This coaster is going to be very high maintenance to keep all the effects working.

Kebab

Giga Poster

I'm surprised they haven't mentioned about the amount of inversions yet, it'll be cool if they kept quiet about that record, it'll seriously shock those who haven't done their homework on this Secret Weapon!

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster

Wow, are they really going to use laughing gas? It just gets better by the day.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

FaceYourNemesis said:
Wow, are they really going to use laughing gas? It just gets better by the day.

I'm putting my money on a smoke machine to be honest :)

Robbie

Hyper Poster

Doesn't that report contradict itself? It's saying the key to a successful roller-coaster is the anticipation of what's coming, yet they're making The Smiler seem like a constant bombardment of speed, drops, jabs, lights and smoke. I love the innovation, but I'm still not convinced they're not throwing too much in.

And this is a bit cheeky:
• Track length – 1,170m. This is 3x the length of Oblivion
• Ride time – 165 seconds which is 3x the ride time of Rita

Comparing to short rides doesn't make The Smiler look all that good!

K20

Roller Poster

Looks like they're going for the inversion record as suspected. Do note it says a minimum of 14 though, so chances are it could be more. I think that whole washing machine effect is out the window though.
Wondering what the World First is though, hoping its not something cheap like "Physchological"

Ever since the announcement of The Smiler, members of the TowersTimes Forum have been speculating as to the meaning of the taglines 'World First' and 'World Beating' used when advertising this years major new rollercoaster.

Back in October 2012, TowersTimes received information which led us to believe the ride would be going for the inversion record. (the most 'loops').This world record is currently held by Colossus at Thorpe Park with 10 track inversions within its layout. At the time it was not clear how the record would be achieved and many believed it was likely to be done with a trick track element, however recent changes to the ride from the plans have shown a more traditional approach to claiming the record with a multitude of additional track inversions appearing.

With the release of The Smiler iOS and Android application and the ongoing TowersTimes aerial construction updates, we can reveal The Smiler has a minimum of 14 confirmed inversions easily claiming the world record for most on any rollercoaster.

Right now, the following inversions in order are

Heartline Roll
Inverted Drop/Barrel Roll
Pretzel Loop (x2 Inversions)
Batwing (x2 Inversions
Corkscrew
Inverted Drop/Barrel Roll
Sea-Serpent Roll (x2 Inversions)
Cobra Roll (x2 Inversions)
Barrel Roll
Corkscrew/Barrel Roll

We believe many more surprises are in store, TowersTimes will keep you updated as we hear more.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

I read that earlier about the inversions and I think they're probably right, but there's no confirmation yet from AT - which is fantastic as they're letting us know everything apart from the final inversion count.

Mushroom

Goon of the Year

I think it is time I put this...

I TOLD YOU SO!

1 year 2 months ago ;)

Martyn B

CF Legend

LOL.

Firstly, considering how the actual ride differers from the plans, the only confirmed inversions are the one's we've seen.

Secondly, there is no pretzel loop. And wtf is a sea-serpent roll? I think the words they're after is "roll over".

Smithy

Strata Poster

Sure I remember seeing a pretzel loop in the first few POV's we saw after the first drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.