What's new

Alton Towers | Nemesis Reborn | B&M Retrack | 2024

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I do love what they’re adding to the station, but I still don’t understand why they went for matt black on the track though?

Like you can clearly see that the “rails” are part of the creature, even in the new design:
IMG_4951.jpeg

So why did they make the decision to paint the track black?? The monster isn’t black.. it’s grey??

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I do love what they’re adding to the station, but I still don’t understand why they went for matt black on the track though?

Like you can clearly see that the “rails” are part of the creature, even in the new design:
View attachment 29824

So why did they make the decision to paint the track black?? The monster isn’t black.. it’s grey??
(At the risk of dragging up an old subject again) Under new lore that track is restraining the creature, the creature has been growing around it kind of like how a tree grows around supports holding it up. (See chained Oak.)

The monster is literally tearing the track up in the latest marketing video...

Screenshot 2024-02-13 135942.jpg

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
I don't like the idea that the track is pinning down the monster. It's silly.

I'm also not the biggest fan of the idea that the coaster is the monster.

I think it should be simpler:
  • Alton Towers were building a roller coaster.
  • During construction a monster was awakened underground.
  • The monster grew and wreaked havoc on the coaster track.

FogZog

Mega Poster

I think it’s a cool idea Towers pulled together.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

Yeh sorry, I agree with Fog, I prefer both the original 'monster is the track' story, and the newer 'track restraining monster' idea. Work awakens a beast is pretty 'mid.' (Look son, Dad is a cool kid.) It's been done before, even at Towers itself.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
There has always been an element ‘massive steel structures pinning the monster down’ - see Wardley’s comments from about 14:00 here:

With his references to ‘exo-skeletal tentacles’ it sounds like the track was the tentacles, with the coaster supports being what is ‘pinning it down’. But it’s not absolutely clear.

I’m pretty sure the Sub-Terra pre-show circa 2012 also made reference to pinning the beast down with steel (I haven’t been on it since).

Also… the marketing piece above doesn’t expressly say that the steel structure pinning the monster down IS the track.

So I don’t think there is anything ‘new’ - beyond perhaps them saying the steel pinning the monster down is specifically 250 tonnes, which presumably the weight of the coaster track, for the sake of it sounding impressive. And as soon as you make that connection that it’s the weight of coaster track, you should probably also remember that it’s entirely fictional and doesn’t really warrant thinking about it too much 🤪

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
There has always been an element ‘massive steel structures pinning the monster down’ - see Wardley’s comments from about 14:00 here:

With his references to ‘exo-skeletal tentacles’ it sounds like the track was the tentacles, with the coaster supports being what is ‘pinning it down’. But it’s not absolutely clear.

I’m pretty sure the Sub-Terra pre-show circa 2012 also made reference to pinning the beast down with steel (I haven’t been on it since).

Also… the marketing piece above doesn’t expressly say that the steel structure pinning the monster down IS the track.

So I don’t think there is anything ‘new’ - beyond perhaps them saying the steel pinning the monster down is specifically 250 tonnes, which presumably the weight of the coaster track, for the sake of it sounding impressive. And as soon as you make that connection that it’s the weight of coaster track, you should probably also remember that it’s entirely fictional and doesn’t really warrant thinking about it too much 🤪
Yes it was the supports, I think, hence the different colour, and other references you mentioned. But the difference now, and what I believe is new, is that it's the whole track, hence the mention of '250 tonnes' of steel. Not a hill I'm willing to die on though, because it's not clear, and the veins down the track do throw it wide open.

I guess we'll wait and see... Either way, I love the whole concept, and still think it's one of the best original story driven themes out there. Hoping they come out with a lot of new supporting material, like the comics, and other merch.

P.s, I've seen that video a few times, but boy do I enjoy watching him talk...

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
If the track is a steel frame containing the monster, what are we riding?

If that's aimed at me, then I've no idea... I know what the original story said, but if that's changed then I've no idea. I'm just quoting Alton Towers official website here...

It took 250 tonnes of steel, bent and twisted around the monster, to hold it down. We converted the steel that imprisons the creature into the tangled rollercoaster you see here today.

Of course it could be that the website is a mistake. But it's been this way since 2019, the earliest mention of this potentially 'new' lore, that I can find on way back machine. Interestingly They were probably planning the refurb around then...

If this isn't a mistake (that's now spanned 5 years,) and it is the new lore, then I guess there's some explaining to do... Like what are we riding? The answer to that, as it currently stands, is a rollercoaster, that they constructed from the metal used to pin down Nemesis. And honestly, anybody would have to agree, that's crap compared to the original story.

spicy

Giga Poster
Less than a month to go! Exciting times :D

The only thing I think could get me more excited now is if they release another advert for it showing the red waterfalls are back....yeah, I know, it won't happen :confused:😂

I know they can't use the red water dye anymore but I am surprised they haven't bought the waterfalls back.

That would have been my number one theming element to bring back as they add so much to the area but they just haven't bothered.