What's new

Alton towers and high heels!!!

pitchnoir

Mega Poster
just lil weird and funny post concerning alton and feinds of the two inch size :wink:

Friday 22nd May 2009 - It's a special time when you finally reach the required height to be able to ride your first big rollercoaster, so it's obviously disappointing for those who just miss out. Recently a number of children that do not quite reach the mark have taken special action to help them gain that extra inch or two including standing on tip toes, wearing extra socks, taping flip flops to the bottom of their shoes and generally stuffing their shoes with extra padding to give them a boost. A young girl has even swapped shoes with her mother in an effort to reach the required height to ride.

The height requirements are in place to ensure the health and safety of the rider, so Alton Towers have made the decision to ban all high heel shoes over one inch in an attempt to prevent youngsters sneaking on rides that they shouldn't be riding. The park is also looking into placing airport style shoe scanners on it's bigger rides to speed up the checks.
source[/url]

I don't understand why adults would allow their kids to swap shoes with them in order to ride a coaster. Height restrictions are there for a reason, so they should obey them. If their kid is too small, well, sucks for them.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Two things to say here:

1) Any parent who tries to get their kid upto the height like that needs a serious punch of common sense to the face.

2) If you go to park in high heels you deserve everything you get. It's an amusement park, not a sodding nightclub.

^ Yeah, for real.

If there's one thing I hate, it's seeing people with improper footwear at places that don't warrant said footwear. I saw people in high heels at a goddamn nature trail, like wtf?

Blaze

Hyper Poster
This is stupid, these people are idiots.
I don't think we should kill them, it's never right to take a life, but we should be allowed to torture them a bit or steralize them.

Maverix

Mega Poster
Can't belive parents would let there kids do this. Unless the parents are coaster enthuseists and can't get on the ride without there kid.

Funny story realated to this though. My bro was to short to ride Mantis and he had to stand on a platform with a bar to messure his height (they couldn't tell with the poll) and it skimmed his 1/2 long hair and he couldn't ride. lol.

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
Ah... and I was gonna say that if I were a parent, I would do everything I could to get my kid on if he was a few centimeters too small...

I mean, yeah, safety and all that, but they probably have the boundaries at least 10cm higher than a dangerous level. If my kid wanted to go on, then I'd let him go on.

But fear not, I will probably kill myself doing some crazy thing long before I get the chance to have kids...

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Do you realise how reckless and irresponsible that is?

Why would you allow your childrens lives to be at risk just so they can go on a ride! It's just a ride!

HarryBoyy

Mega Poster
this is such a weird post why wood adults let kids hav high heels :?:

EDIT: Can you improve on your spelling and grammar a little please HarryBoyy? E.g.:-

This is such a weird post, why would adults let kids have high heels?

Thanks,

Slayed.

A

Anonymous

Health and Safety

I can Health and Safety is very important special to the uk top theme park.Is what they're do in Cedar Point.

Error

Strata Poster
^...what?

As a (former) ride host, the biggest complaint is the height restriction. Even had a guy threaten me with a gun on Demon Drop since Junior couldn't ride. They're there because it's what the manufacturer has as a safety standard, not a bend-it-so-they-can-ride standard. The training video for Six Flags showed what happened when a person too short is let on to ride (think toddler on a stand-up, fat guy on a arrow, or a pregnant women, and you can see why its bad).

It's also the one thing I hate about the job is telling people they're too small (or too tall for one ride), too large, or need someone to ride with them. It sucks seeing the disappointment but it's for their own good. We were told to look out for shoes that change the height (heelies, stupid things...) and had to ask them to take off their shoes. A lot more people try it then you might think.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Blaze said:
Why risk your childs life so they can get on a bloody ride!

Because 0.5 cm isn't going to make much of a difference?

The other thing is, sometimes the height markers (especially the UK ones) are utter crap.

That's when you have issues. I loved the US system, proper steel bars on concrete. As Error says, you don't want to turn people away, so you are a little flexible.

I've come across issues where the little furies are tall enough for one ride, but not tall enough at a height marker at another ride (same height limit). The issue is that in the UK, they tend to be a bit nazi about it all. So I can see why people push a bit, but not to the point of issuing kids with high heels.

Those with us at Liseberg will remember us trying to get an extra 1 cm out of minor_furie. He was okay being under on some rides, not on others.

You have to remember that the rides have tolerances. In the US, all B&M rides have a height limit of 54", which is just short of 1.38CM. So you could ride a B&M quite safely under 1.4M (the European standard B&M height limit).

Of course the general public won't know that kind of thing, but is there really anyone here who's parents didn't try to get them on a ride when they were a little bit too small for it? Not talking six inches, but just that little bit?

Ali

Mega Poster
^Exactly, I remember going to American Adventure for my eighth birthday and I was about 1/2 a cm too short for the log flume and the mean ride op wouldn't let me ride. So I just swapped my shoes and coat with my friend and was able to ride. Also for rides like Saw, which has a 140cm height restriction, where as Speed has a 125cm height restrict. It just doesn't make sense, as they have the exact same restraints?