What's new

Alton - Easter Monday

Nic

Strata Poster
Woke up quite early on Sun morning and was just lazing about. By about 10am I was bored, and realised that I wished I'd gone away at some point during the weekend. By 10:30am I'd booked a pitch on my usual campsite in Cheadle. By 11:30am, I was on my way.

A few months ago I'd laughed at my parents who decided to see if they could pack up and leave for a weekend's camping in an hour. On that occasion, Dad forgot his pants. I, thankfully, remembered mine... but I did get there and realise I hadn't packed a torch (fortunately I had one that lives in the car). I also realised I'd severely overestimated the nightime temperature so didn't bother to pack my thermals. As a result I barely got any sleep.

Anyhoo... Mon morning, I packed up, drove the 7ish miles to Alton, and was in the park for about 9:30am. From the monorail, I'd noticed that Nemmy was open so decided to head straight there. SRQ was walk on, so had 3 goes (2 on the same seat on the same train! I needn't have bothered getting off!). By the end of my 3rd run, the srq was at the bottom of the metal steps so decided to move on.

Went to Air, but it still hadn't been signed off by the engineers following morning checks. Decided to head for Oblivion. Got the monorail (love the new cars. Much nicer) over to clous cuckoo land. Rita was well and truely closed - had engineers on the track who didn't look like they'd be going anywhere soon. As far as I know it was down all day.

Walked to Oblivion. Normal queue line was almost full. I entered the SRQ expecting it to busy - got there to find one person infront of me. ONE! Came off, went back round - SRQ was empty! However, by the time I went back round again, there was a queue. After about 15 mins I got on for my 3rd go of the day. The mist was billowing out, which led to a really good ride. However, one run I was front row, far right - ****ing hell it was rough. Seriously. Don't quite know hopw that works. Also, they've moved round the layout of the shop and arcade in the exit. Threw me a bit - nearly tried to walk through a wall!

Decided I'd head back to the front of the park at this point. Spinball was still shut - lots of engineers all over the track (this was prob about 11:30am at this point). Made the decision to go and have a nose round Sharkbait Reef. Having been round the chessie one on sat, I realised - they're pretty much identical! Still good, and a good addition to the park, but a bit boring due to the sense of deja vu!

After that I decided to test out the new pizza buffet. Lets start by saying - OM NOM NOM NOM!!!! Its basically the same system as the Pizza Hut one at Thorpe. However, its MUCH better organised, and as its Alton's own brand, you get AP Discount! Hurrah! With that, its only £5.56, so its excellent value too. Highly recommended.

I was gonna go for a quick go on RMT, but the queue was out the gate and right across the path almost into the pizza place. I decided to head back round to see if Air was open. It was. Main queue was an hour (genuinely - I asked someone near the front!). SRQ was well past the "if the queue's up to this point, you'll be waiting longer than the main queue - turn back now!" signs. However, I decided to brave it. The batching was being done very well, so the srq moved quite quick. I was on the ride in about 20 mins.

By this point it was about 2pm, I'd been on everything I wanted, so decided to head for the exit. After a wander round the big gift shop, I left after a lovely day. Oh, and if you're wondering just how busy it got - from the monorail on the way back I could see that the SRQ for nemmy was down the metal stairs, right across the path, and up the stone steps that go up towards the main ride entrace. I don't think I've ever seen it quite THAT bad. Eugh!

Ride count:
Nemesis x3
Oblivion x3
Sharkbait Reef
Pizza: The Ride
Air

Not very big, I know, but if you'd have only used main queues, you would have struggled to get that many rides done between park open and close (7 1/2 hours), let alone in 4 and a bit :)