What's new

African Theme Parks

Nic

Strata Poster
I've just stumbled across an interesting article. Apparently, Western Africa is seeing something of a boom in the number of Theme Parks which are opening up - and they're having reasonable success. I wanted to share, as I thought it might interest others too.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news ... ddle-class

It mentions Six Flags Nigeria (announced in 2009, yet construction still hasn't begun). I'd never even heard of this before. The article give some good reasons as to why this part of the world might be one of the biggest growth areas in the Theme Park industry in the next few years.

Over the last year or two, we've seen tons of new coasters and parks open up in Asia. Many thought that the Middle-East would see the next big growth spurt, but money problems seem to have put a halt to that for the time being at least.

So, do you think Western Africa will prove to be the next big thing in the amusement park business? Will we really see massive growth in the industry there? Would you ever be tempted to go on a credit whoring holiday there, or would the current situation with prevalent poverty (and therefore crime) put you off? Which other parts of the world might see the next big growth spurt for theme parks? Which countries would you like to see build more?

Discuss!

peep

CF Legend
Oh wow, great find!! It makes for a very interesting read. Africa isn't really a place you hear about theme-park wise and it is very interesting to hear they are getting a bit of a boom in the World of theme parks. I wonder if the Six Flags park will ever happen and if Merlin will try and get in on the act.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The actualization and physical manifestation of the great vision and commission by the Almighty God in 1985 to Prince Abraham Oluwatoyin Ololade (then Oluwatoyin Barber) to establish Amusement Parks where children of God will regularly seek succor against stress, boredom, and grief, seek rest, relaxation, and quiet time with God and most importantly, to Glorify God — a place with God.

I'll book my flights to Lagos on my next payday!

or

While the article is quite interesting, I don't think it in any way really points towards a theme park "boom" in the sense that we would see it (the current trend in China for example), but more likely some very low-key, locally operated parks that we're not likely to hear much about, if anything.

its demographics make it ripe for a theme park bonanza. Half the continent is under 20. By 2050, one in every fifth person on the planet will be a sub-Saharan African, according to the United Nations. Hundreds of millions of those will be teenagers with no place to go on a date.

Some highly, highly misleading statistics there; just because there's a ridiculous number of people does not in any way indicate a market for huge theme parks. The vast majority of those hundreds of millions of sub-saharan teenagers will have more to worry about than a location for a date.

The more I think about it, the more ridiculous, and insulting to be honest, the article actually is.