Well?

• Too far

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good idea

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RCF

Strata Poster
I'm sure most of you have noticed recently. Six Flags has been putting ad wraps all over coaster trains at such parks as Magic Mountain, Over Texas, Fiesta Texas, Over Georgia, Great Adventure and other parks. What's your opinion on this? Do you think they're going too far, or do you think it's a good idea?

Some pictures of said Ad Wraps:
Ninja at SFOG
db_2010_0517_AxeTrain11.jpg

El Toro at SFGA
db_2010_0511_ElToro_Stride1.jpg

Boomerang at SFFT
db_2010_0514_SFFT_StrideClownCar_Boomerang1.jpg

Shockwave at SFOT
db_2010_0514_SFOT_AXEonShockwave11.jpg

And Ninja at SFMM
db_2010_0519_NinjaKid21.jpg

Thoughts?

In my opinion, I'm kind of split. It does seem a little too much, and it really makes the coasters look bad (some of them like El Toro *shudders*) but when you think about it, it's kind of a smart advertising plug. So I'm halfway.

Ben

CF Legend
That Toro one's done on photoshop as a LOL... please someone tell me that's done on photoshop as a LOL...

SOME are not THAT bad, and I'm not TOO against the idea, esepcially when they fit in colour wise, but, that Toro one... ****ing hell...

Gazza

Giga Poster
Ugh, it looks like absolute ****, especially the El Toro one! Could they possibly be any more tacky?

I know in a few places I've read a people saying "It's a good idea, means more money for the parks etc", but there are plenty of parks that manage to be successful without resorting to crap like this.

Plus, at the end of the day it's a theme park, and advertising just detracts from the environment you are in.

RCF

Strata Poster
^^^ It's not photoshopped as I know of. Some other parks have those same wraps *waits patiently for ECG to confirm this*
^^ And I somewhat agree as well.
^Maybe, I've never heard of "Lynx" so I wouldn't know

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
I'm getting tired of seeing "well, I guess it kind of fits in with the theme so it isn't too bad..." (Karate Kid on Ninja at SFMM, for example). Unless the ride is called Karate Kid: The Ride, it's not theme, nor does it fit in with the already existing theme. It's tacky, plain and simple.

I guess you could call it a creative idea to bring in more money for a chain that needs it, but I just have one question... Why do the ads have to go on the trains and in the stations? Do you really have to ruin some already existing theming?

Error

Strata Poster
SnooSnoo said:
Probably the dumbest thing Six Flags has ever thought of.

Agreed.

When I went to SFoG, Mindbender had that on it for...something. It was crap.

Yup.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Although they do ruin the look of the trains, if the sponsorship means more money for the park to invest and it doesn't alter the ride experince, then it doesn't matter imo.

Such sponsorship is becoming common place in the UK now.

There are a few examples of where it has been tastefully done so I'm really indifferent.

As much as I love bright colours, why did they have to chose an obnoxiously bright wrap for Toro, which is suppose to have like, a brown theme?

Stupid stupid stuipid. I'd paint my room like that, though :p .

CMonster

Giga Poster
Ian said:
Although they do ruin the look of the trains, if the sponsorship means more money for the park to invest and it doesn't alter the ride experince, then it doesn't matter imo.

There are a few examples of where it has been tastefully done so I'm really indifferent.

I would agree, except these are obviously NOT tastefully done. You're right, it could be a good idea if done well. Too bad SF doesn't really care about atmosphere...

Gazza

Giga Poster
and it doesn't alter the ride experince, then it doesn't matter imo.
But by that same notion, you could say that parks don't need to paint their rides (Any more than what is necessary for maintaining structural integrity that is) because even if a ride is all faded and looks crap, the ride experience won't be any different.

But that toro one really is awful, because the ride did actually have a bit of a 'look' going with the rustic/timber style trains beforehand.

Guess I just don't like this style of advertising in general..outdoor billboards are often an eyesore, and buses and trams with advertising wrapped around look **** too.

Snoo

The Legend
Ian said:

The revenue from this isn't going to be significant enough to really make a dent in the bottom line tbh. A few grand is pretty much all you're gonna get.. and in the grand scheme, is chump change, especially to a large chain such as Six Flags.

Waffleman

Mega Poster
Surely what BPB have been doing for years is much worse than this?

But, anyway, I think if they did it to rides with theme or storyline it would ruin the atmosphere, but in this case it's not that bad.

I'm still against it though, simply because it's so cheeky and you don't want to feel like you're having brand names forced down your throat every time you look a coaster in a theme park, surely?

madhjsp

Giga Poster
AXE would be better served just giving out free cans of the stuff to all the riders of Ninja at SFoG. It probably costs them about 10 cents per can and nobody rides that Vekoma piece of trash anyway.

Other than the El Toro one though, the rest of these don't exactly look bad. As long as that's the case, I'm not totally against the idea, since it seems like an easy way for the parks to make a little money. Also, I don't really care about the wraps ruining the theme of the ride, because most of the rides getting this treatment are just standard loopers, it seems. Not really very uniquely themed to begin with.