What's new

Accident at Alton Towers

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Ian said:
I look forward to hearing the reasons behind the "human error".
My bet is that we will never know for sure, they've said their "human error" bit, and it'll be one of those things were they don't really know the specific cause or can't explain it without it looking ridiculous... Because the reality is, it has to have been someone resetting the system, there's no other explanation.

In the height of a moment, we all do stupid things. Changing lanes on a road without signalling, running to cross a road when you probably shouldn't, putting something in the way that you later trip over, putting flammable objects near flames, overloading power extension cords... Work H&S protocols are in place to try and reduce dumb mistakes, but we all make them whilst simultaneously mocking H&S procedures.

You can't easily explain to the public "someone overrode the system" because they freak out and ask "WHY IS THAT POSSIBLE?" Of course, it has to be possible... My printer's display screen yesterday insisted there was a paper jam. It was lying. I overrode it by turning it off and on again. Coasters are the same. My printer emergency stops itself and warns me of a paper jam with flashing lights and an error message because jammed paper could damage the printer if forced through. Coasters emergency stop themselves and warn of possible collisions when leaves flutter in front of their sensors. You NEED to be able to override all systems, because all systems, especially when preventing harm to themselves or others, are over the top. But humans must perform checks - I must look inside the printer and check there is no printer jammed before I override it, but if I'd had that error message 5 times in a row and every time I'd looked there was no jammed paper, would I override without looking on the 6th time? Probably. And what if there was an actual jam that time?

That doesn't make the system at fault, it still makes the person at fault, but I think we need to be very careful not to judge their actions, because I think all of us are capable of the same. I think it's important to reiterate that.

All coasters have the potential to get stuck like Smiler did - that's not the problem here, the problem is that someone didn't do their checks. Even if Smiler's layout was physically altered to reduce the chance of it getting stuck there, it would still be possible for it to. In any other combination of the factors involved in the accident, there wouldn't have been an accident. This really was a stars aligning kind of incident, and we need to remember that... Even if no H&S procedures or features were added in the wake of it, it probably would never happen again. But they will be added. Many things will have changed when Smiler opens next year, and all of them will make the possibility of this reoccurring less likely.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Humans always have a way of mucking up systems. This is especially the case with Amusement Park accidents; I'd venture a guess that the largest contributor to accidents are human error. Alton will retrain, figure out how to automate more of Smiler's system and remove human inputs, and move on.

FWIW, it also still stands that roller coasters are one of the safest modes of transportation out there. Anyone that would be scared to ride a roller coaster out of concern for safety should also look to give up riding in a car, hopping on a bicycle, or especially walking.

grumpyfan

Roller Poster
Shortly after this happened, I speculated elsewhere that it was probably due to a frustrated maintenance guy who had already reset the system a few times that morning due to false indicators. When he was called the last time, he was likely assuming the same conditions had occurred and just went thru the motions without fully checking.

Hopefully they can get this running again (safely) and regain the public's trust. Personally, I think it's probably even safer now, but I know the general public won't see it that way, and it will take some time.

Based on what they did immediately following the incident, by shutting down that park and the others, I would assume they knew the cause right away and then implemented new procedures to try and prevent a re-occurrence. Just from an enthusiast standpoint, I would be curious to know those new procedures.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Quite rightly, Merlin are going to be prosecuted for the accident. They will appear in court on 22nd April.

They've (Merlin) already accepted responsibility so I expect a guilty plea, massive fine and then the story can be put to bed. Only then can the long process of rebuilding trust in the public eyes can begin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35658850

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Smiler to reopen on 19th March, they confirmed it on Twitter.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
I can't wait now! I worried about opening day with The Smiler and Glactica not being open! So excited.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Good news, get the media **** out of the way early and have the new installations create positivity a month or so later.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
DelPiero said:
Good news, get the media **** out of the way early and have the new installations create positivity a month or so later.
Glactica will be opening on the 24th of March, so not that long after opening day. I'm so excited for this season now!

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Although Towers have been pretty clever here and only confirmed it open as a reply to a question on twitter, I'm shocked that no mainstream media outlets have jumped on it as of yet. I wonder how long it'll take for Miss Balch to make an appearance or do an interview somewhere...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Chris Brown said:
Although Towers have been pretty clever here and only confirmed it open as a reply to a question on twitter, I'm shocked that no mainstream media outlets have jumped on it as of yet.
They won't care as its not exciting news. It'll probably get a footnote on the weekend it opens but there won't be a song a dance. That is until one of those involved talks about their dismay it's open - that's a news angle the media can use because it's more sensational. Of course, the media will be monitoring for any breakdown to report. Looking at most of the replies to AT's tweets, 99% are positive - the vast majority of people are happy it's opening and realise that accidents like this are extremely rare.

I reckon everything will be back to normal by the end of the season. They'll be a bit of coverage when Merlin plead guilty in court in Aoril and get a huge fine, a "one year on" article featuring the victims in June and then a sucessful summer without any hitches. That's what I hope for anyway.

mouse

Giga Poster
Will be interesting to see whether the Smiler retains its former popularity in terms of queue times, personally I don't think there will be much of a change.

mouse

Giga Poster
Being involved in the accident does not make her a ride safety expert. Hopefully most of the GP realise that...

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
It's crazy to the amount of people what are actually supporting the park and The Smiler now, I think people are just fed up of the park being hounded by the media now.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk