What's new

Accident at Alton Towers

mcg0ughchris

Mega Poster
elephant58 said:
^What's this ride you're talking about?

Thunder mountain and disney paris.

Welcome to how the British people think my friend. The majority are glass half empty and the media are horrendous.

Why do you think all of our athletes are **** scared when they play for England. We enjoy things failing just so there's a certain level of drama, or at least the media do.

mcg0ughchris

Mega Poster
Standing already! Great news! Like superhuman mental strength to get up a week after all this. Merlin need to get her the best support, best prosthetics and best rehab and get her back living a great life, with millions of compensation to. Well done Leah Washington

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
[tweet]http://twitter.com/TowersStreet/status/608559313100095488[/tweet]

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Also its great that Leah is recovering fast, her life really won't be all that bad now! Many amputees with prosthetic legs can still drive, ride bikes etc.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
To test it when the park is open to the public is a bold statement to make. I wonder if they consulted the families of Leah, Joe, Vicky and Daniel before doing so.

Pierre

Strata Poster
^ It will still take a lot of adjustment, particularly with the amputation being above the knee.

It's not as simple as banging a prosthetic leg on and away you pop.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Pierre said:
^ It will still take a lot of adjustment, particularly with the amputation being above the knee.

It's not as simple as banging a prosthetic leg on and away you pop.

Oh I know, it will take months of training and unfortunately she may experience phantom limb pain but fortunately, prosthetic leg technology is constantly improving.

mcg0ughchris

Mega Poster
I think we can all agree that one week after an accident like this, surgery etc, amputation, huge mindset changes and still being positive and getting up out of bed eager to move on makes Leah Washington an absolute legend in my mind. I could not praise her more. And if she has spoken to Alton and gave her blessing for them to continue using the ride then fair play. That would take alot of guts this soon after.

Hopefully the others are ok. Have we received any extra news regarding their conditions?

WelcomeToOblivion

Giga Poster
I wonder if testing is the right word here, surely this is something to do with the investigation? I'm wondering if they're testing the stalling point to see the likelihood of it happening again as well as the causes so it can be prevented from happening again. Obviously I know it won't reopen yet for a long time but to think this had anything to do with anything but the investigation I would think that's a little insensitive, like, as a victim I would be all for the investigation starting ASAP to find out what went wrong. But if they had intentions of reopening it already would feel like salt in the wound to me. But hey everyone's different and we don't know for sure what's happening here.

I don't know if this makes any sense, I know what I'm trying to say but I'm finding it hard to put into words hahah.

Also massive well done to Leah, that is fabulous news!! Also really happy that the 1D boys have agreed to meet her, gives her something to focus on :)

mcg0ughchris

Mega Poster
I know what you're trying to say. It all depends on what's being said behind the scenes I guess. I'm sure there's been communication been the victims/family and merlin.

You're probably right about testing for investigative purposes.

Hopefully she has an awesome time with 1D, she's definitely earned my respect.

WelcomeToOblivion

Giga Poster
I imagine so, I imagine they'll be in contact for a while. I mean having heard who the lawyer is, they won't want to do anything to upset the family. They're clearly very customer oriented, so even if that wasn't the case I think they'll be in touch for the foreseeable future, and possibly years to come. Particularly with Leah's family.

mcg0ughchris

Mega Poster
I'd love to see Leah come back to Alton Towers when she's fully undergone her rehabilitation. Even if it's not to have a ride on anything. It'd be lovely if they invited her for a day just to prove to herself that she's over it. Please for he family though that it's looking positive. It's inconceivable to imagine that sudden life change. Things like this always give me some perspective on life

CoastinBear

Roller Poster
First post on a forum relating to a dreadful coaster accident, but after following this thread through, it's a relief to be able to discuss this away from the dire Twitter comments!

Just to say - we now know that Vicky Balch, the girl sitting on the left-hand of the midde two seats is having most problems with her right leg, so the forces on collision must have been concentrated in the very centre of the front of the train due to the "bumper" that sits in the middle of the back of each train.

There was one aerial shot shown on Wednesday of the empty train. The rails at the front of the footplate were almost touching the seats in the very centre of the row. I really wish I hadn't seen that...

We knew about Leah's left leg being amputated, as it was closest to the centre of the row, and how One Direction have now invited her backstage, but the only reason I know about Vicky's right leg being the worst affected is because of her friends' attempts on social media to get Olly Murs to visit her! I thought it would have been better coming from her solicitor, or her parents?

mcg0ughchris

Mega Poster
I hadn't heard anything concerning Vicky? Is she ok? How severe is her injury? Hopefully not to the same extent as Leah.

I'm sure Olly will sort that out for her though

CoastinBear

Roller Poster
Surgery needed on Saturday to save both legs, but that Tweet this morning said that her right leg needed more work doing. Oddly, that Tweet seems to have been removed.