According to the Alton Towers app the following rides are closed:
-Spinball
-Nemesis: Sub Terra
-Oblivion
-Rita
-Smiler (obv)
-Conga River Rapids
-The Flume

This is going to really hit them hard for the next few days while they get their ducks in a row, as a lot of people aren't going to want to go if everything's closed. Best of luck to them though, I'll still be going up next weekend.

Wow, I wouldn't fancy working on guest services when this storm hits. Are they unrelated to the Smiler incident though? Surely the water rides at least will be back up today?

Rita doesn't even run multi cat operation so I'm sure that'll be back up later today also

Also I wonder if they've had any staff resign (ride operators, part timers etc)

Dar

Hyper Poster
They're handing out free return tickets to everyone today on the gate. But sure if it's just today they'll be doing it though?

mouse

Giga Poster
Thing is for a while many visitors will think every ride closure is due to the Smiler accident, which will cause them to think the whole park is unsafe and all rides are operated badly.

spicy

Giga Poster
Sky News just tweeted that NHS Trust have confirmed that Leah Washington has suffered an amputation above the left knee.

Terrible news, makes the accident much worst that this young girl has suffered a life changing injury.

SpeedyWorm

Roller Poster
The Mail and ITV also confirming that the girls leg has been amputated. Extremely sad news and gutting as i thought it was just over exaggeration

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
SpeedyWorm said:
The Mail and ITV also confirming that the girls leg has been amputated. Extremely sad news and gutting as i thought it was just over exaggeration
Yeah I just heard it on BBC radio about 30 seconds after I had read it. Yeah we had all hoped that it was a rumour.

Thoughts and condolences. I feel so bad for the victims and merlin. What a nightmare.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Bollocks.

Was hoping the relative Media silence on the amputation rumours were a poisitive sign.

Poor lass.

WelcomeToOblivion

Giga Poster
Oh dear, poor girl. This won't be good for them, I hope she is well looked after, this is not something you expect to happen on a fun day out at 17 :( my thoughts are with her and her family.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
The Smiler has absolutely had it now. They can only rebrand or demolish, either way, the brand must go. Some people on here may be like "It would be silly to waste all that money, I would still ride it" but 99% of the GP won't.

Smithy

Strata Poster
cjbrandy said:
Its still relevant

Not really.

No need for the I TOLD YOU SO style of posts about the brand of the ride either when the bigger issue here is that a 17 year old has lost a leg and by several accounts the other lass on board has also suffered horrendous leg injuries.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Smithy said:
cjbrandy said:
Its still relevant

Not really.

No need for the I TOLD YOU SO style of posts about the brand of the ride either when the bigger issue here is that a 17 year old has lost a leg and by several accounts the other lass on board has also suffered horrendous leg injuries.

Fair play, I can come across as insensitive at times.

peep

CF Legend
The BBC article claims that one of the other riders has serious internal injuries.

This is a terrible outcome and I feel for the victims and their families for having to go through such a horrific scenario.

WelcomeToOblivion

Giga Poster
The other girl is a dancer as well, and was supposed to be going on holiday for her 20th birthday, but was instead in hospital having surgery to save her legs. You just can't even imagine how any of them are feeling right now.

Peep, I'm guessing that was the 27 yr old with a collapsed lung?