What's new

A roller coaster that leaves the rails

bazpa

Hyper Poster
Doesn't Avalanche at Blackpool and other Bobsled coasters do exactly this? They start on rails up to the top of the lift hill then the rest of the ride is loose running down the "chute" until it rejoins the rails at the end of the ride.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
IIRC there was a coaster at Coney Island way back in the day that actually had a jump, but either it never opened, or it closed quickly due to problems.

I think it could be done, using a combination of regular and bobsled style track to 'catch the train and funnel it back into the regular track.

The question is why bother?

OfficialAltonTowers

Roller Poster
Would be cool Worlds First, Heres another one for you to think about, how about a coaster with floorless Cars, which has both normal and inverted track, and at random points of the ride the track switches from below you to above you and Vice-versa, i think that would be trippy, suddenly the track disapears from under your feet straight into a vertical loop then to suddenly come back and into a cobra roll, that would be my next dream coaster :--D

ClipTheApex

Roller Poster
Tom Green said:
where it sort of flies off the track

Steel_dragon_2000.jpg

I heard you were looking for me?

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
I Have an idea Which might work for a coaster to leave the rails.

If you have a track with a sort of invisible very strong wires around the rails and have the train run along them and then the track can go and the wire will carry on going until the Track comes back.

it isnt technically jumping but it'll look like it.

kimahri

CF Legend
I was going to post the picture of FuRai2 after its crash while quoting dave but I thought that might have been too dark.

jjjjustin

Hyper Poster
OfficialAltonTowers said:
Would be cool Worlds First, Heres another one for you to think about, how about a coaster with floorless Cars, which has both normal and inverted track, and at random points of the ride the track switches from below you to above you and Vice-versa, i think that would be trippy, suddenly the track disapears from under your feet straight into a vertical loop then to suddenly come back and into a cobra roll, that would be my next dream coaster :--D
I also had an idea like that a while ago in the sixth grade. I had a sketch of what the whole thing would have looked.

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
There would really be no point except to kill people, unless it was like an extreme "Chute The Chutes" style ride where the boat was catapulted off the rails and into a pool of water 20 feet below. However that would still be incredibly dangerous.