What's new

A retrospective of Britains Greatest Coasters...?

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
3785661387_d4b8732f72.jpg

Anyone read this? I got it, somewhere in the mid nineties on a visit to Lightwater Valley. Loosely tied to the RCCGB, it gave an overview of the history of rollercoasters worldwide, and gave a cross section of the then current status quo.

Now there are two bits I am curious to your opinion on - firstly, the books choices on the then top UK coasters, and then it offered an opinion of what awaits us...around about now.

The top Coasters

1. The Big One 'Nothing's ever gonna beat this...or is it!?!'
2. Nemesis 'Above all other rides, Nemesis thrills and terrifies the most.'
3. Shockwave 'possibly the best stand up in the world.'
4. The Ultimate 'in my mind, a classic coaster'
5. Grand National 'those drops are something else'
6. the Vampire 'an excellent coaster'
7. Big Dipper 'A classic coaster, with some great drops'
8. Wild Mouse 'Sell your house and spend the entire proceeds...to ride this'
9. Cyclone (PL) 'If you haven't ridden it yet, you haven't lived'
10. Texas Tornado (MBFL) 'one of the best coasters in the UK'

Now don't just disregard the choices; I'm just curious what to you they imply of the industry then, in it's golden year, compared to now...especially as two of those above rides, are no more, and that half of them were over 50 years old. Have we seen a genuine improvement, or a stagnation in ideas, just relying on bigger and better?

I'll post the future predictions the book had in another post.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
There's only one of those I didn't ride (or don't remember riding). Out of the remaining, I rode five in that time period, and the other four more recently (within the last five years).

At that time (knowing what I know now and based on my experiences of those rides now and then) I'd say the list is pretty good, but even back then I held Nemesis above PMBO. I don't know if I'd have the PL Cyclone there either, but I can't think of another ride around at the time I'd put in its place.

As an aside, my 2008 top ten contained three of those rides - so even compared to my modern day European experience, Nemesis, Nash and Shockwave still stood the test of time.

I think the US has certainly seen "bigger and better", but over here, we've seen a more interesting twist on things - finding slightly different concepts to try and deal with a shrinking budget and tight planning regulations. It's not led to stagnation by any means.

I've no idea what it would predict, unless there were hints of Oblivion, maybe something about Megafobia or new woodies (at that point, woodie mania was just kicking off again big style).

I'd assume it was looking to bigger and faster though, simply because the way the industry has developed and the innovations brought in just couldn't have been predicted (flyers, spinning coasters, beyond vertical drops, 400+ foot launchers at over 120mph, etc, etc, etc).

I think the thing that gets me, is that no matter the innovations, the rides that do the best, are those that follow classic patters (only bigger and better). Big, long lift hills, then lots of up and down hills and tight, high g corners. On either wooden or steel, they're STILL the rides that just do what Big Dipper and the Nash do - only bigger, better and faster :)

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
Quite surprised to hear of the shockwave spoken of in positive terms. I'm so used to people knocking it, which is a shame; I didn't get to ride it on my visit to DM earlier in the year, so it's about ten or so years since I rode it last, and TBH, I was slightly reluctant to ride it for fear of spoiling some good old memories.

The predictions the book made weren't to bad; a few well off the mark suggesting:

1. 'The Yanks are coming' - suggesting the bug US parks would buy or develop a park in the UK sooner than later.

2. 'Park Growth' Smaller parks would close the gap on AT and BPB, regional parks would wither and die; cant really argue with that.

3. 'Attendance and Image' - would grow and improve at a steady rate - this one I'm not sure; some like Thorpe and Legoland have definitely taken strides, others like Lightwater Valley, have definitely fallen off the pace.

4. 'Travelling rides' - would start to ape the big beasts that trawl around the US and Europe; getting there, but still lagging.

5. 'Coaster Technology' - undoubtedly, but I'm yet to be convinced that spinning coasters are a good thing.

6. 'Dark loopers' - unfortunately not, on these shores anyway...

the flashing blade

Roller Poster
the best roller coaster book written by a man called preston

blimey... someone read what i wrote 14 years ago!

The book was a start...

opened doors some good, some great, and some horrendous... but with the 'ball preston ball' team we quietly made a big very big splash - all revealed in the next book... not really thought of yet - but prob ready summer next year with amazing interviews, escapes, mayhem and total chaos and that was just at the airport.

would love to hear your thoughts on the new stuff eg... 'mumbo jumbo' the new hybrid Texas Giant and erm Son of Beast... and not forgetting the good old ultimate (now there's a story and a half). Erm just to say i may take a bit of time to reply while i recover from a silly epilepsy thing.

keep livin' the dream

andy p
part of BPB - Tina and Steve Ball and Andy Preston