What's new

48÷2(9+3)=

kimahri

CF Legend
^ That's why it's used to troll. Sounds similar to a very specific link that a very specific david posted.

BODMAS or BEMDAS, either way it's brackets first, so..

48÷2(12)

And since 12 is still in brackets, you'd multiple 2x12 next, so..

48÷24

=2 YAYY

A

Anonymous

Hixee said:
--- x (9+3) = 288
This is the correct interpretation and solution (it's also what my calculator and google get when inputting the original formula), since if the (9+3) bit should be under the division line then the original question should have read: 48/(2(9+3))....

jayjay

Giga Poster
It's essentially an intentionally ambiguous equation, but since I'm doing a "maths pretending to be engineering" degree, I'll offer my thoughts.

First of all, I hate BODMAS (or PEMDAS to please the silly Americans :p ) because it implies that ÷ and x have different precedence (dividing really means multiplying by the number's reciprocal). The correct way to read this phrase literally is 48÷2x(9+3). Read operations left to right and you get the answer 288.

The problem comes when people attatch implied precedence to a number immediately followed by a bracket, so sometimes it is interpreted as 48÷(2x(9+3)) because of this.

But this is all rather silly because no mathematician in their right mind would write it out like that because of the misinterpretation. Like people have already pointed out, the only purpose of this question is to cause an argument.

kimahri

CF Legend
jayjay said:
But this is all rather silly because no mathematician in their right mind would write it out like that because of the misinterpretation. Like people have already pointed out, the only purpose of this question is to cause an argument.

So there you go Ben and Hixee, you fell into the trap.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
kimahri said:
jayjay said:

So there you go Ben and Hixee, you fell into the trap.
Sure, we started arguing, but after all, I was backing up Jayjay's point:

Hixee said:
So actually neither is wrong. ;) It's not really a fully specified question, I don't think. I think technically a mathematician (which I'm not) would say that the question has two solutions, and would be to be defined more clearly.
Hixee said:
^Yes, that would, but like I said, it depends where you put a set of brackets.
----------
I'll say it again, I don't think there is anything wrong with either solution. They're both right.
Hixee said:
Both options still work. Like I said before, an extra set of brackets are needed to clarify the problem.
:)

kimahri

CF Legend
But it was posted purely for the sake of arguing. That's really the only reason why it's posted on any forum.

And now we're arguing about a math problem posted just for arguing. THANKS ALOT!

jayjay

Giga Poster
kimahri said:
THANKS ALOT!

The Alot accepts your thanks.

ALOT.png

(Go HERE if you don't get the joke)

Ahem... wildly off topic there sorry, carry on.

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster
To settle this and finally end the arguing I ( a certified smart person ) shall deliver to you via logic the correct answer of 288.

The equation is simple if rewritten as a fraction, like so...
48/2 x (9+3)
48/2=24
9+3=12
24(12)=288

A

Anonymous

Re: Re: 48÷2(9+3)=

kimahri said:
Me and my Alot are just going to leave this one here

6÷2(1+2)= ?
9 obviously...

Posting on the go...

weedjam

Roller Poster
Can't believe people got lured into an argument over this. Everyone knows that it simply varies depending on what method you use and therefore there is no universal answer.

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
Haha. And btw, PLEASE EXCUSE MY DEAR AUNT SALLY if anyone would ever actually be confused on how to solve something like that. Remember that one or anything like that? Least that's what we were taught at a school I went to. Something like - order of operations?