What's new

2011 UK Census : Jedi

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Doesn't bovver me mate, I'm a Muslim innit...

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Just wanted to say that I'm a +1 in the apparently limited crowd of people people who care.

I signed the pledge and donated to the cause. Signing as something you're really not actually negatively affects people.

After the 2001 Census, the figures collected were used to justify the following policies:

Increase in the number of faith schools
The continuation of collective worship in schools
The public funding and support of ‘interfaith’ and faith-based organisations above the support offered to secular organisations
Suggestions of an increase in the role of faith in Britain under the coalition government
The appointments of government advisors on faith
Contracting out public services to religious organisations
Keeping the 26 Bishops in the House of Lords as of right
Continued high number of hours dedicated to religious broadcasting
Specific consultation at government and local level with ‘faith communities’ over and above other groups within society
Continued privileges for religious groups in equality law and other legislation

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Oh, I'm on the list for pro-"No Religion" option. It was a joke. ;)

When we finally get round to doing our census, that's what I'm putting. I'd be stupid not to...

Nic

Strata Poster
Yeah, I agree with this. I always thought it was just a bit of a joke to put Jedi or whatever (not that I would ever do it myself) until I recently heard all the arguments for not doing so. If people still want to do it then that's fair enough, its up to them, but they should do so knowing the impact that it might have.

Dave

CF Legend
I always thought putting bi-winning down would be better.

But I think I am going to put down 'non-religious', that's if my housemate hasn't already done it...

kir

Hyper Poster
Why would anyone even bother lying about something like that on a census? The mind boggles. It's not like writing a hilarious answer on a test in class when you're 15 or so, and then when you get it back passing it to your mates so you can all giggle at the angry red biro marks your teacher scribbled next to it.

Your census is going straight in an envelope and then straight to an official who will read it, sigh, and move onto the next moronic troglodyte who decides to make such a statement, and nobody makes any kind of gain. You're not achieving anything and do not look cool in doing so. If you're really that overwhelmingly desperate to "fight the power", find a useful way of doing so.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I see very little point in the census as it is. Like all research, it is outdated the moment after it is published. It shows one day in the history of the UK which will then be used for the next 10 years as a more or less accurate representation of Britain as a whole. Not only that, it costs a ridiculous amount of money to do which really isn't good in the current economic climate.

I'm not a fan of censuses, so if I were to be doing it for myself, i would probably put that I was a Jedi - why not. However, my guardian will probably end up putting me as a Christian...which I am most definitely not.

kir

Hyper Poster
^ I'll agree, for trying to figure out in real-time exactly what's happening to us as a nation the census is almost pointless, but over time it is useful to see how things have changed every decade. I see it as more of a time capsule, which I know isn't the reason why it's conducted, but it's quite a clever way of mapping out our history accurately.

In 100 years historians will be able to look back on the decades that people actually found it constructive and useful to mark themselves as Jedi. We will look pathetic. Is that really one of the ways we wish our generations to be remembered? No wonder things are going to pot.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
You raise a good point Kir, and I agree. Therefore, if historians want a really accurate picture of today's society in 100 years, let people put down Jedi or whatever - that way they'll be able to look back and see how society became less and less government led and more socially free and able.

Dave

CF Legend
ciallkennett said:
You raise a good point Kir, and I agree. Therefore, if historians want a really accurate picture of today's society in 100 years, let people put down Jedi or whatever - that way they'll be able to look back and see how society became less and less government led and more socially free and able.

Well I would've thought it would've shown the power of new social media that developed over 10 year period, culimating in a mass 'protest' by putting Jedi down. I've put 'no religion'.

But I do enjoy Question 17.

kir

Hyper Poster
^^ Sure, that does make sense. But in a time of pretty widespread political revolution and backlash against government (which will obviously appear in every decent history book) I think that point has already been made without us being idiots. It's going to look like "this country and this country and this country were struggling to fight for freedom and finally taking a stand against their bleak political history, and at exactly the same time the best the people in the United Kingdom could do was facetiously label themselves as Jedis." It doesn't look good on our part.

If twenty years down the line other countries are flourishing and we're sinking deeper and deeper into the ground you can just see them marking little things such as this LET'S ALL TICK JEDI LOLZ way of thinking as a "they had it coming" sort of thing.

But as you say, I guess it may well be an accurate representation of UK society today, and that needs to be documented as well as any other changes. It's just a shame that we'll look like tossers.

Ultimately, as I said, history isn't really the point of conducting censuses anyway, so I guess nobody really thinks about the future in that sense.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^It'd not. Dumbass. :p

There is an 'other' box, which people are filling in as Jedi. If they were actually going to include 'all' the religions we'd be here forever. :)

Ben

CF Legend
Oh it's nice to know that no matter what a stupid state England gets in, we'll always be better than Canada.

Nic

Strata Poster
Dave said:
hahaha! I submitted mine online, so had no idea what you were on about. Then I looked at the paper form. Yes, it is awesome.

Lain

Giga Poster
Nic said:
Dave said:
hahaha! I submitted mine online, so had no idea what you were on about. Then I looked at the paper form. Yes, it is awesome.

Is that the blank one?

IIRC it's in Welsh and for the Welshies, so only the Welshies get it, and everyone else gets a blank one.

Partay.