What's new

2-year-old boy killed by alligator at Disney Resort

davidm

Strata Poster
To be fair, if you can see the alligator wandering along the beach you are unlikely to shuffle your 2-year within striking distance of the thing. The problem with them in the water is that they aren't quite so visible!

Hardly surprising that the family felt safe there though; they are essentially in the hotel (not wandering the backwaters of the Florida swamplands).

Horrible story all round obviously. :(

Robbie

Hyper Poster
That fence is exactly what I imagined when I wrote my post the other day. It's enough to say "don't go in the water" without being too intrusive.

lachlan

Mega Poster
^Yes hopefully now people will have more time to retreat if they spot a gator.

But still, Disney built a beach beside a lake they knew had gators in so it was an accident waiting to happen.

djmcbell

Roller Poster
The fence looks hideous. Well, okay, it doesn't look hideous but the scene is pap compared to how it was before. I do feel Disney may have gone overkill, but what do you expect? The Grand Floridian, and basically all hotels offering lakeside accomodation in the Orlando area, will probably be hit very hard by this, unfortunately, and my be a long time recovering.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Wow, are we actually saying that fence looks bad? It's there for safety, and certainly isn't obtrusive. Because massive signs that say "Don't go in the water" are more attractive than a fence that's basically invisible unless up close. I just can't believe an innocent, little child dies, and people actually complain about the safety precautions taken by the park. I could understand if the safety precautions were unnecessary, or because the incident is the fault of the victim, but it's not. I just......I just find it unbelievable that a two year old dies, and people actually complain that 'the fence looks hideous'.

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
Having never been outside of Europe I'd never really considered there being gators at Disneyland.. Do they also face issues with them making their way into the water rides? Would certainly add a thrill to any downtime that you happen to get stuck on!

djmcbell

Roller Poster
TommyAlex said:
Wow, are we actually saying that fence looks bad? It's there for safety, and certainly isn't obtrusive. Because massive signs that say "Don't go in the water" are more attractive than a fence that's basically invisible unless up close. I just can't believe an innocent, little child dies, and people actually complain about the safety precautions taken by the park. I could understand if the safety precautions were unnecessary, or because the incident is the fault of the victim, but it's not. I just......I just find it unbelievable that a two year old dies, and people actually complain that 'the fence looks hideous'.

Oh, I definitely understand the need for the fences, don't get me wrong. I guess it just appears a bit jarring to me to see them up, and it makes the beach look worse.

Of course the death of a two-year-old is much, much worse. I have a two-year-old myself and would quite happily have let him wade in the water (whilst holding his hand, though I've let him wade in the sea with me being a couple of metres from him, keeping an eye on him). I very easily could have been the father in this situation, and the boy being my son, and have every sympathy for them.

As I've said before, whilst it doesn't surprise me to learn of gators in the Disney World resort, I wouldn't have expected them at all - it wouldn't have crossed my mind.

EDIT - if I were asked "what should Disney do now?" my answer would probably still be to put up fences, at least in the short term. I guess they can't get rid of all the gators (from reports it sounds like they do a very good job as it is).

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
"Ya not keeping me outta Disney World"
980x.gif

mouse

Giga Poster
So as we already know according to the Daily Mail Alton Towers is a death trap containing badly maintained, unsafe rides which will kill you.

Well now they are presenting Disney World as a death trap full of hungry alligators which will eat you.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ntain.html

A video of an alligator being fended off next to splash mountain is being shared around a lot, although not sure when it was taken.

nealbie

CF Legend
Wow, that IS scandalous! Are there warnings of gators when you ride on Splash Mountain and near the lagoon? Because the last thing I would expect to happen whilst wandering around the Magic Kingdom is to be Gatorade!

Robbie

Hyper Poster
mouse said:
A video of an alligator being fended off next to splash mountain is being shared around a lot, although not sure when it was taken.

If only Shanghai had access like that they could have saved themselves a lot of money on their water ride.