What's new

Universal considering UK theme park in Bedford

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
To be clear... they're already planning 4200 parking spaces, enough for 10-20k guests per day. And that's with level parking. Islands of Adventure sees an average of 30k daily guests.

On top of this, they've already considered a contingency for additional parking if it proves to be needed, as is made clear by this statement: "We have no current plans to build structured parking, but if that were needed in the future, the height would be further limited to 40m."

I don't think 35% - 40% by train is unrealistic... However, 25% - 30% by bus and taxi might be reaching a little. (Unless of course they already plan to use Bedford town centre, Milton Keynes town centre, Luton Airport and/or park and ride sites as transport hubs to get people onto some sort of resort bus service.)

davidm

Strata Poster
Thanks for the video Mark, bit of a windy start but the presentation from the senior Americans most interesting.

All sounding very positive at the moment. :)

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
Thanks for the video Mark, bit of a windy start but the presentation from the senior Americans most interesting.

All sounding very positive at the moment. :)
I realised that when I got back and edited it. Didn't realise how blowy it was!

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Having seen a few IP / Theme predictions floating around I wanted to put my thoughts into a post. Potentially controversial, but I think the over utilisation of British themes would be a mistake. (Potter excluded). I worry about how us Brits would receive something that could be considered a lesser version of the big budget multinational brands, and how this would filter through to world wide audiences. I’m not sure there are that many British themes that would really resonate world wide like, for example, the Simpsons or Jurassic Park. I think we are much more likely to see a British area within the park, surrounded by the more traditional tried and tested universal themes. I think the closest themes we have for a ‘British’ area are;

Bond - I, personally, can’t see it but I think it’s about as close as we get. I just don’t see how it will translate or be enough for a land or theme though? Maybe an individual ride within a London area?
Paddington - weirdly I think this could work relatively well. Unsure if there are any future films planned tho. Again a ride in a London area could work
Dr who - stand-alone ride at best.
LOTR - would be amazing but unsure on longevity of brand. More suited to a land but can’t see enough appeal for a land (despite loving it myself)
Top gear? - nah
Roald dahl - can’t see it
Wind in the willows - not a chance
Sherlock Holmes - a slightly older brand but the recent Robert Downey jr films were popular
Monopoly - at first I thought nah, but on second thought maybe?
Kingsman - nah
Peaky blinders - god no

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Agree that it would be a mistake to make it ‘British’. I don’t really think the US parks are particularly ‘Murican….

Harry Potter is pretty much inevitable. Otherwise, I’d be hoping for an ‘Islands of Adventure’ / ‘Epic Universe’ style park rather than a ‘movies’ / ‘studios’ park.

Matt N

CF Legend
Harry Potter is pretty much inevitable. Otherwise, I’d be hoping for an ‘Islands of Adventure’ / ‘Epic Universe’ style park rather than a ‘movies’ / ‘studios’ park.
I think it probably will be; the new Universal Studios parks are growing to be a bit more like this.

I haven’t been to either, but from what I’ve seen and heard, the likes of Universal Studios Singapore and Universal Studios Beijing look far less inherently “studio” themed than the likes of Universal Studios Florida.

Geeky Pastimes

Mega Poster
The Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz/Worlds End films are owned by Universal. Could make for a fun scare maze at least or weird three-act dark ride

TjChapperz

Mega Poster
Is the Harry Potter IP restricted by the Warner Bros Studio thingy nearby?
Yes I'm sure this has been discussed many times in the past when previous rumours of Universal coming to the uk. I am pretty sure Warner Bros own all rights to Harry potter theme parks/ attractions etc in the UK so would rule that out instantly for the new park unless they pay a gigantic fee to warner bros.

Last edited:

Will

Strata Poster
The pulling power would arguably be worth that gigantic fee if that is the case.
Loving the idea of a Dr Who ride too.

Oh, ****'s sake, you've got me talking like this is actually going to happen 🤣

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I am pretty sure Warner Bros own all rights to Harry potter theme parks/ attractions etc in the UK so would rule that out instantly for the new park unless they pay a gigantic fee to warner

If I was Warner Bros though, I think I'd be saying a big fat yes to that, wouldn't you? Surely a huge influx of international Harry Potter fans coming to within an hour away of your Studio Tour would be a good thing, right? I can't imagine any Potterphile coming to the UK to visit Universal and not tagging on the Studio Tour as well.
Plus, y'know, gigantic fees do tend to have a habit of winning people over, especially fat cats in suits.
It also might stimulate the WB bosses to expand the offering at the Studio Tour a wee bit cos when I went I found it rather lacking in interactivity and was done within a couple of hours. I don't mean turn into a 'theme park' as such, I just mean expand the offering of 'things to do', rather than just 'things to look at'.