What's new

Best One-Trick ponies?

Favourite one-trick pony?

• Dive Coaster

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Powerful launches (S&S or Intamin Accelerator)

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • Tilt Coaster

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Drop track

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Coaster that mostly rely on one single gimmick/spectacular element aren't generally viewed as the best ride experiences overall. But do you think there are exceptions? Are there short, but very memorable and fun coasters with one big outstanding moment?

I'm a fan of snappy launches - think Xcelerator or TTD. They're not my absolute favourites, but the thrill of the acceleration really provides some of the best emotions I felt on a ride. Dive Coaster drops are hit and miss to me, it depends a lot on the actual size of the drop, if there is a tunnel, and also the restraints. Good Dives (Krake and Griffon imo) do provide a great sudden free fall feel :)

Pear

Strata Poster
The only coasters with a drop track I've ridden (Verbolten and Wonder Mountain's Guardian) are not just one trick ponies. They provide more than just the drop track and are overall really fun rides. I love Verbolten so much and it's one of my favorite rides at the park.

I really love a good forceful launch and TTD fills that so well. The launch isn't as intense as Xcelerator but boy does it feel like it goes on forever and it just keeps getting more intense as you go on. TTD is a perfect adrenaline rush and I honestly don't care that it's so short. I waited almost 90 mins for it back in September and didn't regret it at all!

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
not just one trick ponies
Same with the 'S&S powerful launches' really, they do so much better stuff than just launch (except maybe Son of Dodonpa). Not keen on comparing them to something like Xcelerator which bores me to tears.

Of the options, as a singular sensation, I'd go drop track. I really like the one on Thirteen, it still gets me quite well. Billund's one is good too.
Dives seem to be hit and miss whether they eject or not.
Tilt didn't do much for me.
Launches on their own, eh.

Peet

Giga Poster
Well Thirteen is absolutely a one-trick pony and I don't really rate it. I love a good vertical drop on a dive coaster though, so that gets my vote.
As a side note, in my opinion Formula Rossa's downfall is the designer's noble attempt to make it *not* a one-trick pony by making it actually quite a long ride. However I don't find the rest of the ride very enjoyable, but would ride again and again just for that incredible launch.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Saw the title, immediately thought Xcelerstor over TTD, but yeah. It does it well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Thirteen is a bit **** IMO, I'd say that ride is very gimmick based (drop track and backwards) but is overall slightly boring. I'd like to argue that the likes of Valkyria and Yukon Striker are not one trick ponies and look like solid rides overall. I've never done a tilt coaster, so I'd have to go with the launch coaster. I like Stealth and Rita, the Dives didn't do as much for me, so for me it is the best choice.

Snoo

The Legend
Saw the title, immediately thought Xcelerstor over TTD, but yeah. It does it well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
giphy.gif

Launchers clearly but TTD being the best.. obvs.

TilenB

Strata Poster
As a side note, in my opinion Formula Rossa's downfall is the designer's noble attempt to make it *not* a one-trick pony by making it actually quite a long ride. However I don't find the rest of the ride very enjoyable, but would ride again and again just for that incredible launch.
I've always thought Formula Rossa is supposed to mimick a Formula 1 car/racetrack. I mean, it wouldn't make that much sense for it to just be a tall out-and-back ride (like Ka or TTD)...

As for me, I'm going to go with powerful launches as well. Dive coasters have never made much of an impact on me (done Sheikra, Oblivion, Baron), as they just feel a bit too controlled in comparision to some drop towers, that are going for a similar thing. Drop tracks have hardly ever felt like one trick ponies to me, as they usually aren't the only focus of the ride and I haven't done a tilt track ride yet (hopefully doing the original in Summer).

Trooper

Roller Poster
I'm basing this on relatively limited experience but, having done a skydive, dive machines are out of the running. It's the same feeling but much less intense. I would never queue more than 10-15 mins for Oblivion, and I'm only waiting that long because I'll have already walked the whole line by the time I see there's a queue at all. Thirteen and Rita are equally not really worth waiting long to ride, but I would love to see an immersive, crawling dark ride with an unexpected drop-track section and speedier second half.

That leaves tilt coasters. The slower the tilt, the better. I reckon the clicking and clunking as the track attaches would put me on edge, too.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Of the rides mentioned, Intamin Accelerators are easily my favorite. The launches themselves are far more exciting than the B&M vertical drops or drop track sections. I haven't done any tilt coasters but I imagine they're similar to a dive machine or even something like Falcon's Fury.

I actually really like the drop sections on Verbolten and Thirteen. They're exciting, unexpected pops of ejector air. I especially loved the one on Verbolten because I had no prior knowledge that an element like that was even a thing. It was the best part of the ride, but Verbolten is not a one trick pony. It offers some other solid elements like the launches, river drop, and other indoor elements. Thirteen, on the other hand, I would consider as a one trick pony. That ride is all about the drop track, and the backwards portion just makes it even more gimmicky. The outdoor portion is just kind of there, not really trying to do anything.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Two coasters spring immediately to mind: Oblivion and Top Thrill Dragster. I didn't vote for a ride type, because if there's more than one example of a ride that's a one trick pony, then all subsequent examples of that ride type are null and void. If you're gonna have a one trick pony, first of all it's gotta be a bloody good trick (the world's first vertical drop, or a massive launch into a 420ft top hat, for example) and secondly it's gotta be the first of its kind. Otherwise it's just not relevant, right?

jayjay

Giga Poster
Oblivion is the best crafted one-trick-pony. Everything about the theme, the layout of the area, the queue, the gradual crawl up the lift hill and the pause is there to say "look how ****ing scary this drop is." But in terms of a tiny ride which wins me over cheaply, Stealth. Strong launch = happy jayjay.