What's new

rides that enthusiasts hate but the public love aka flying theatres etc.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
I'm using flying theatres aka 'soarin' attractions as an example - and from what I read these attractions get mostly negative reviews from enthusiasts in reviews etc. But it begs the answer 'why are they so popular' - and why there is sometimes a huge difference in what the general public like Via what an enthusiast likes!

A similar case is vekoma SLCS' or boomerangs - I think they are vile and don't see the point in them - and with coaster enthusiasts they are mostly disliked/ just about tolerated - but why do so many places have them? (apart from budget I assume).

Do you think its a case of expectations? and an enthusiast has much higher expectations than your average park attendee? Or do you thing that enthusiast go on so many rides..... they get jaded by experiences - BUT then a good experience would still be a good experience if you personally enjoyed something.

Or do you think with things like soarin - being a non-coaster based attraction - obviously COASTER enthusiasts aren't going to be that fussed with such things?

thoughts?

Gazza

Giga Poster
Yeah, to be honest I've never understood the hate for Flying Theaters, but granted I haven't been exposed to any potential poor versions outside of Disney.

Many people seem to pan Flying Coasters and Wing Riders, despite being consistently popular with the public.

I've noticed too a lot of enthusiasts don't care at all for water park attractions.

I think some people just sort of only stick to rides that simultaneously push all their buttons at once, and have a hard time enjoying anything else?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I actually like wing coasters! I'd say Vekoma SLCs for sure, I know a lot of my GP friends love Infusion at BPB! I don't really mind them my self tbh.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Dive coasters. We see them as one-trick ponies with lackluster layouts. However, the GP flocks to them because they're intimidating, scary, and big.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

IG9887

Roller Poster
This just seems weird to me at least but on ANY given day Laff Trakk at Hershey always has long wait times, sometimes having the longest wait time for any ride at the park. Sure I get that its indoors and has some decent theaming, meanwhile theyre 2 versions of the exact same ride within 6 hours driving distance...

balrog

Mega Poster
Sure I get that its indoors and has some decent theaming, meanwhile theyre 2 versions of the exact same ride within 6 hours driving distance...
Doesn't matter, most people won't drive 6 hours for a theme park.

Dive coasters. We see them as one-trick ponies with lackluster layouts. However, the GP flocks to them because they're intimidating, scary, and big.
I'm not sure they qualify as "hated".

TilenB

Strata Poster
This just seems weird to me at least but on ANY given day Laff Trakk at Hershey always has long wait times, sometimes having the longest wait time for any ride at the park. Sure I get that its indoors and has some decent theaming, meanwhile theyre 2 versions of the exact same ride within 6 hours driving distance...
It probably has a lot to do with spinners having a rather poor capacity, at least compared to the other rides in Hersheypark, rather than the ride being 'more popular' than the big coasters in there...

Superman: Ultimate Flight always gets consistently long lines in parks despite being nowhere near new and nowhere near good. Even on dead days in parks, I have never seen the line get shorter than about 45 minutes.