What's new

Accident at Alton Towers

Pierre

Strata Poster
scw55 said:
If this happened on Oblivion or the rivers of blood Nemesis then I would be in agreement of really awkward themeing.

Especially with the bloke in the queueline repeatedly saying "this ride is perfectly safe" :roll:

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I'm not sure how the branding will go but I don't think I've seen any media outlet actually pick up on the theme of the coaster.
I agree with you.

I don't understand the obsession everyone on here is having with a rebrand. Not a single media outlet has used that to capitalise on drama. We get "50 MILES AN HOUR!!!!!!111" and the like, but nothing relating to the brand at all.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
People still think the 11 minutes between incident and contacting 999 was poor form? I've already stated though that it's pretty much the average time such a place would take (especially given that, in regards to having to contact the emergency services, you need to have a good idea what the injuries are, since that helps the ambulance service no end, rather than turning up blind, especially when such injuries are beyond that of a basic first aider)...

To get to the scene, work out what's happened and get relevant information on the rider's injuries, will take time... It's just something the media jumped on even though 10 minutes is probably the standard timeframe for any tourist destination...

Gavin is correct about the court cases... Merlin will settle out of court, some of the lawyers will push them with further legal action to get more money out of them, since that's their job, hence why one has already mentioned that... Merlin are pretty much used to settling out of court for incidents anyway, the amount that are unreported...

I enjoyed the news mentioning the 30 incidents in 3 years thing... That made me giggle, especially given that they listed the 'serious' ones... I'm sure I could get HSE to dish out the news on any park in the UK and get a similar number, hell I bet Thorpe have 30 incidents a day during Fright Nights...

Doubt this'll affect SW8, apart from maybe them pushing it a lot quicker into the public eye this year (like they were planning to anyway with Blade closing), just to take the view away from Smiler...

Unsurprising that they remove all the branding and associated bits... I reckon Oblivion and Enterprise will reopen when HSE have finished their investigation on the ride, as it won't be TOO bad having people looking down at the ride from Blivvy at that point...

Would Merlin want to re-brand their biggest internal brand in years? It's way too early to say one way or the other, especially when such a claim isn't common within the industry... I can only think of Hydro (which took years after the incident to be changed, when Aspro took over), and are Terra Mitica doing anything with Inferno? Perhaps it's the British cynic side of things, but bigger brands have taken bigger hits over the years and still survived... It's more likely that they'll edit aspects of the current theme...

But the branding will take place after they've sorted out the settlements, PR, and of course the track... Perhaps they'll look at re-jigging that entire knot part... Hopefully they keep it because it is rather iconic, to be fair it's needed a re-track since the Cobra Roll exit is HIDEOUS... Sure they're on the phone with Gerst about looking at it...

WelcomeToOblivion said:
The thing that plays in my mind is that they queued for the front row. I really hope it's not constantly going through their heads, especially Leah. Poor people, that one decision has affected them so badly :( just makes me think. Just horrible.

There isn't a front row queue for Smiler, so it is just more the luck of the draw in that regard, rather than them choosing and regretting that decision for life...

mcg0ughchris

Mega Poster
Joey said:
I'm not sure how the branding will go but I don't think I've seen any media outlet actually pick up on the theme of the coaster.
I agree with you.

I don't understand the obsession everyone on here is having with a rebrand. Not a single media outlet has used that to capitalise on drama. We get "50 MILES AN HOUR!!!!!!111" and the like, but nothing relating to the brand at all.

The problem will come when they reopen it with the same theme, especially if they choose to advertise it on TV or around the park. There's no way the media won't pick up on the concept of the ride if the theme stays the same and they'll just see it as a huge park not being sensitive to past incidents.

Let's say it opens in 12 months time with the same 'join the smiler' get 'marmalised' to the point where you have changes to 'mind and body' and join the 'ministry of joy' cult. Makes no sense anymore.

And if they change all the terminology it'll just be stupid, it'll have all that sinister laughing in the queue, ride staff dressed in those costumes that signify they've already undergone the changes. The park will never risk it. The media will use it after ride reopening to cause a storm and again bring negative publicity.

Why is everyone so keen on keeping the theme anyway? In light of recent events it'd be a stupid business decision and the park know it, hence why they've ripped all the signage and merch out. I wouldn't fancy walking around in a smiler t shirt after recent circumstances

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I think it would be stupid to retheme it. You'd just add more fuel to the fire. The media have said nothing about the fact the ride is themed to brainwashing, so why change it? It'll just make it seem like Alton are trying to hide the crash, and not very well.

No, the smart thing to do would be to maintain the rides theme, name and everything, but reopen it with all the necessary changes in a few months, to little or no fanfare other than a statement from the park "New implimented safety features... Will ensure an accident of this type will never happen again... Etc" sure, the media may post a story on the day, but it'll have lost the public interest.

I do think there may be some redesigning going on though, with regards to the Staffordshire knot. I think reprofiling is in order to be honest, and kill two birds with one stone. Lessen the height of the problem area that causes the stall, and sort out the latter half of the cobra roll's kink. That way alton can add in "redesigned to ensure no further issues happen" into their statement.

mcg0ughchris

Mega Poster
We'll see over the course of the next few weeks I guess. Has anyone heard if Alton have actually given any hints of themselves delivering an announcement on the rides future?

Personally if I was there PR team I'd be wanting to draw a line under this ASAP

Ethan

Strata Poster
I really don't see the problem with the theme. The theme is about smiling and that's pretty much all most people get out of it! Like someone said earlier if it had Nemesis' theme then it would be more inappropriate.

I can see how the idea of coming off the ride a different person would be awkward, but again does anyone pay attention to that? I think if they ditch the "corrected part then it should be fine.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
The theme isn't really "Smiling", the theme is brainwashing. Creating "happiness" via a series of drugs, hallucinogens, hypnotism, tickling etc.

As for the rides future, Alton Towers can't do anything with it until the H&S investigation has been completed, Nick Varney has said that the independent inquiry team have taken over the site, so until they hand back over access and exactly what happened is found out, planning a future for the ride is impossible.

mcg0ughchris

Mega Poster
Ethan said:
I really don't see the problem with the theme. The theme is about smiling and that's pretty much all most people get out of it! Like someone said earlier if it had Nemesis' theme then it would be more inappropriate.

I can see how the idea of coming off the ride a different person would be awkward, but again does anyone pay attention to that? I think if they ditch the "corrected part then it should be fine.

For me it's more brand recognition. The logo, theme, concept is quite prominent and unique and from an advertising point of view its now tainted. The theme is poor for sensitivity reasons obviously, but more importantly Alton Towers can't use the brand anymore.

No one is gonna want that logo on their cereal boxes. They can't run the adverts for obvious reasons and people are gonna think twice about buying any merch. Now if they can't do any of that with what you're saying I'd their most unique franchise then what's the point in keeping it and risking negative publicity? If someone can explain to me where the positives are from a business standpoint then ill happily be wrong but I can't see any.

By all means keep the ride and make the necessary alterations but it'd be in the parks best interests to move away from the incident.

Think about it, would you invest your savings on a brand you know has a very slim chance of creating you any revenue? Or would you rather invest in 'something new' which a retheme/track alterations would at least create the illusion of.

Think about other businesses and brands. Example, Virgin Media, huge company, prominent adverts featuring Usain Bolt. Do you think they'd keep him if he had doping allegations sorrounding him? Of course they wouldn't. It's too risky. It works the same for any brand, big or small. Ian made the point of FIFA, obviously a much bigger incident world wide than this but which companies are gonna want to touch them now.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
^ But why would Alton Towers need to put the smiler logo on anything like a cereal box? Or run adverts featuring the smiler?

Alton have been running adverts featuring the enchanted cabins this year, focus has been on that rather than the smiler, and next year SW8 will be the prominent selling point.

Like I said before, a retheme will only make it seem like Alton is trying to hide the fact that there has been an accident on the ride. Alton and Merlin have been very open and honest about the whole situation, and I think they will stick with that. The Smiler will reopen without advertising and the whole situation will eventually be forgotten about. Sure they ride will have a bit of an imfamous reputation, but it won't stop people riding it.

How many times have you heard a member of the GP say "I heard someone flew out of this ride once" while in a queue for the ride.

mcg0ughchris

Mega Poster
It's just my opinion.

In terms of intricate theme and branding, smiler is arguably the one that stands out in the park as being the most unique and prominent.

Now why would a huge company like Merlin keep that in place when they know there's not a chance they can make any money off it. Even worse is that they could actually risk people hating it.

Now I don't have exact figures on how much money they've already lost not only on park revenue but also in stock on the stock market and not to mention the negative opinions they'll have created in the eyes of the GP but I'd imagine the directors would be having various meetings, they'd have already moved past the incident and be thinking of ways to make their money back. Now I couldn't imagine them sitting saying we'll leave the smiler until 2016 and then reopen it exactly the same... its easy to sit here and run in your minds about potential risks and how you think it'd by fine but when there's millions and millions of pounds on the line and the reputation of a long standing company at risk. I think they'd rather invest in changing it, I might be wrong, but coming from a business stand point that'd be my knee jerk reaction to clearing it up. I wouldn't want that logo or merch attached to my park potentially setting my self up for more negativity

They've accepted full liability
Removed the merch
Closed all of x sector and the sorrounding areas
Cut the competition
Removed the hotel room
Even removed the parking spaces and signage

It's damage limitation time and they know it

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I wouldn't say that the Smiler sticks out any more than the other major themes. The only reason it may seem more prominent is because it was part of the recent sales pitch. It's their newest large ride, so it did feature heavily around the park and in adverts. But then the same could be said about Thirteen the year before Smiler, and you would have said that Thirteens theme is the most prominent.

Yes, Merlin have taken a hit on the stock exchange, but they haven't necessarily lost money on it yet, stocks rise and fall every day, and once the accident is forgotten about, the stocks will rise up. Now would probably be a very good time to invest in Merlin Stock tbh.

mcg0ughchris

Mega Poster
I just think enough has went on this week for then to take the sensible route and drop the brand 'just in case' but I can understand where you're coming from.

I just think the negatives of keeping the brand outweigh the positives but we'll see. I guess it depends on how quickly this blows over. Merlin could do with some sort of confidentiality clause in place which prohibits any of the guests receiving compensation to discuss their experience on the ride that day. You know there's more to come when they all recover.

As far Alton I'm pleased they've accepted full liability. I hope they offer the best medical care, hopefully Leah Washington Is mentally strong enough to move forward after her rehabilitation and still achieve some great things and Alton would gain alot of respect if they offered continued support throughout what I imagine is gonna be a long road back. Gutted for these guys more than I would be if the ride got completely demolished anyway. Smiler Is trivial in comparison

WelcomeToOblivion

Giga Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:
WelcomeToOblivion said:
The thing that plays in my mind is that they queued for the front row. I really hope it's not constantly going through their heads, especially Leah. Poor people, that one decision has affected them so badly :( just makes me think. Just horrible.

There isn't a front row queue for Smiler, so it is just more the luck of the draw in that regard, rather than them choosing and regretting that decision for life...

Yeah I remembered that afterwards, I thought it was separate but it was single riders that I'm thinking of. It's just a cattle pen up there.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Ian said:
In other news, apparently the people involved have been sent a letter where the park has formally admitted liability. Those involved are recommended to instruct a lawyer to begin proceedings. With the exceptions of the actual accident occurrence and taking 11mins to call 999, Merlin has handled the incident very well.
The victims have hired this guy to represent them:
http://www.stewartslaw.com/people/paul-paxton.aspx

Expect a hefty payout from Merlin.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
If the ride stays, what is the likelihood of major train modifications? It would involve changing the station and cost a bit of money but perhaps it could go floorless? This may sound less safe then it was but it could be more safe if done right.

Martyn B

CF Legend
It's quite good how quiet this has all gone on the media front. Up until the news yesterday, I hadn't heard or seen anything for a few days, and even yesterday's news hasn't been the storm that I was expecting it to be.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I've read through 98% of this, but one thing that has been made very clear to me is how quick reacting Brits are. There's an accident with some injuries and the immediate thought is tear down or rebrand or nothing else. People keep bringing up other rides and saying it's not the same. But it is.

You have the biggest ride at the most iconic theme park on the planet derail and kill someone and cause 27 injuries and it still operates why can't a ride in the UK reopen? I mean, the fear of wooden coasters is still baffling to me that an entire country is so terrified of modern technology they refuse to invest in a wooden coaster.

Between this and the NTG trains, gerstlauer has some issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk