What's new

Zamperla Volare Restraints?

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I was playing with a few ideas I had had in RCT3 and was thinking of doing an updated Zamperla flyer with a layout similar to Thunderbolt's that would utilize their Volare trains.

This got me thinking; exactly HOW do the restraints work? I've heard nothing but negative things about them, but I'm not entirely sure I fully understand how they work. From pictures I've seen it's a little platform that folds up with S&S-esque restraints holding you in from the front, and your feet on a small stairstep assembly holding you in from the back. Every GP review I've read has said that you nearly fall out of it but every enthusiast says you can't and I'm REALLY confused because if it's just those two things holding you in, I don't see how you can't lose your footing and slip out the back. Is there something that goes between your legs to keep this from happening or something? Not trying to be dumb, but I was REALLY curious and I'd like to know how this (seemingly very strange) restraining system works.

That, and how do they compare to Vekoma flying dutchmen? I personally hate them and I've ridden two (Firehawk and Nighthawk) and I understand that on those, you DO feel like you'll fall out. I wish you could have your harness tighten down a bit more in the station because I always have enough to dangle away from the seat on Firehawk's lie-to-fly and I feel my legs slipping out of the lap bar and it's terrifying as ****. How does it compare to this feeling?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Although I never really feel like I could fall out, I know what you mean about getting that feeling on a Flying Dutchman. But Volares don't feel anything like a Flying Dutchman and you never even really come close to feeling like you're going to fall out of the restraints. Volares are very claustrophobic because your entire body feels pinned in and the cage around your face only heightens that sensation.
As far as how they work, this video shows that pretty well:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Foh1dL8othM[/youtube]

Jarrett

ECG said:
Although I never really feel like I could fall out, I know what you mean about getting that feeling on a Flying Dutchman. But Volares don't feel anything like a Flying Dutchman and you never even really come close to feeling like you're going to fall out of the restraints. Volares are very claustrophobic because your entire body feels pinned in and the cage around your face only heightens that sensation.
As far as how they work, this video shows that pretty well:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Foh1dL8othM[/youtube]
I didn't really feel like I would fall out, but it gave me a falling sensation I wasn't comfortable with.

Volares sound like death on a stick to me, though. I'm prone to having panic attacks on planes because I don't like enclosed spaces or heights, and it's a combination of both fears. Are there any up-close pictures of these cages?

I guess my real question is; what keeps you from falling out the back? And front, for that matter?

Intricks

Strata Poster
If its anything like the flyer type flatrides, there may be a cushoined pole that rests near your crotch...or something similar.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm pretty sure they have this kind of functionality.

saw_ver3_xlg.jpg

lauren

Roller Poster
I haven't been on Time Warp (the Zamperla Volare at Wonderland, my home park) in a while, but I can try to explain from what I remember.

In my opinion, the only time it feels like you're going to fall out is during the loops, because there's a lot of space between the back cage and you, especially as a smaller person (not to mention the grips get really sweaty and slippery on warm days). Now for the restraint itself, I think you've got the general idea. You step up on the ladder and choose the rung which is right for your height - now this is where people might feel that theyre slipping, because when the car goes horizontal, there's normally a bit more extra room than you thought when you were standing. I don't really notice it though once the ride gets going. Nothing goes between your legs to keep you in.

I hope that answered you questions/didn't confuse you more

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
2012Jarrett said:
Are there any up-close pictures of these cages?
From the CoasterForce park guide gallery...

hero_flamingoland_06.JPG

hero_flamingoland_03.JPG

trombi_sarkanniemi_9.JPG

I'm pretty sure I've got one of Jordan's arse as she was climbing into the cage in the station. I can't find it anywhere. it might be in my "special" folder on my laptop. I'll check later.

Jarrett

^Thanks, Ian! I'm sure it's safe, I just don't see what's there to keep you from slipping out the back if you lose your footing. I'm sure it's safe, I just wonder why.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I do recall the cages pressing around my bum when I rode three of them in summer last year. I have no arse nowadays so I'm not sure if that would make any difference.