What's new

Zamperla Disk-O not a coaster?

Someone explain to be why this isn't classified as a roller coaster! It's basically the same design as an Intamin Half-Pipe, and that counts as a roller coaster. Just wondering.
 

jolash

Member
It's also literally the same design as a Rockin Tug, but extended, and that's nowhere near a coaster.

I guess you could say it's a matter of perspective, but I'm not sure that's the phrase I'm looking for. Half-pipes and Disk'Os are pretty much the borderline of coaster/flat-ride, with half-pipes barely considered a coaster, and Disk'Os barely considered a flat ride.
 

gavin

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Social Media Team
They're really not the same as half pipes at all.

Half pipes are launched from the bottom and then actually coast up and down the spikes. They're pretty similar to impulse coasters really.

Discos are powered, slowly, all along the course.

If you count impulse coasters and those reverse freefall things as coasters (they clearly are), then you have to really include half pipes.

Discos on the other hand? Just no.
 

Gazza

Active Member
The difference with diskos is that they use a tyre on the underside of the car to propell itself along the whole time, but halfpipes use LSMs and actually coast under their own momentum.
 

Hyde

I Lied About My Age!
Staff member
Moderator
Social Media Team
Cannot be a roller coaster if it doesn't coast.
 

BenSullivan

New Member
gavin said:
They're really not the same as half pipes at all.

Half pipes are launched from the bottom and then actually coast up and down the spikes. They're pretty similar to impulse coasters really.

Discos are powered, slowly, all along the course.

If you count impulse coasters and those reverse freefall things as coasters (they clearly are), then you have to really include half pipes.

Discos on the other hand? Just no.

Even if they're powered, they can still be consdiered coasters e.g. flying fish at Thorpe Park, and nonetheless if you go on the Zamperla website they are classified under roller coasters.
 

BBH

Active Member
BenSullivan said:
gavin said:
They're really not the same as half pipes at all.

Half pipes are launched from the bottom and then actually coast up and down the spikes. They're pretty similar to impulse coasters really.

Discos are powered, slowly, all along the course.

If you count impulse coasters and those reverse freefall things as coasters (they clearly are), then you have to really include half pipes.

Discos on the other hand? Just no.

Even if they're powered, they can still be consdiered coasters e.g. flying fish at Thorpe Park, and nonetheless if you go on the Zamperla website they are classified under roller coasters.

Yes, but Rockin' Tugs and Discoveries are very similar rides that are also powered along the entire course. If you count the Disk'O as a roller coaster, then you have to count those, which no one does.
 

ATTACKHAMMER

Social Media Team
Staff member
Social Media Team
insanecoastervids said:
No it is not because it is way too small and the vehicles are weird.
Size and vehicle type are both irrelevant (unless it is fairly obvious that it isn't a coaster. e.g. a KMG Afterburner) when deciding whether something is a cred or not.

1: Does it coaster? If it does then there is a high chance it's a cred, I count the snails at Joy Land as a cred because they totally coaster.

2: What does the manufacture say? No that isn't a parody of The Fox song, if it is listed as a coaster then there is a high chance it is one.
3: It appears on RCDB/Coastercounter

If the case of these they are listed as coasters on the website (http://www.zamperla.com/en/zamperla-det ... ko_coaster) but I don't know anyone who counts them as one. I'm not convinced that they coast and they don't appear on the sites listed in point 3.
Thats how I decided anyway.
 

BBH

Active Member
insanecoastervids said:
No it is not because it is way too small and the vehicles are weird.
So then Zamperla Gravity Coasters (13 feet tall) and B&M Dive Machines (some of the weirdest vehicles I've ever seen) don't count as coasters because of those reasons?

No, it's just the matter of it doesn't coast and is powered by a drive tire on the underside of the train.
 

Darren B

Active Member
If they were to appear on Coaster-Count or RCDB I would happily count them, people have counted a lot worse as creds.
 
Top