What's new

Your 'magnum opus' of theme park trips

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
What is the craziest or most memorable thing you have done for roller coasters?

Here are some examples...
-bouncing back to a park one week after getting spited by a coaster there?
-talking a family park into allowing you, an enthusiast, into their park in a special exemption to their rule?
-day tripping an entirely different country with only public transport?
-doing a six week trip across the world for a +120?
-or something else?

So far, mine is:

-Conquering Skegness by public transport from the outskirts of London
-Doing a 4 day road trip to finish off the 5 parks in the Great Yarmouth region
-Travelling four hours both ways for a +2 down in the south

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
What is the craziest or most memorable thing you have done for roller coasters?

Did you bounce back to a park one week after getting spited by a coaster there?
Did you talk a family park into allowing you, an enthusiast, into their park in a special exemption to their rule?
Did you day-trip an entirely different country with only public transport?
Did you do a six week trip across the world for a +120?

So far, mine is conquering the two Skegness parks by public transport. My East Coast Adventure finishing off the five parks around the Great Yarmouth area was pretty awesome too. Let's also not forget me travelling four hours both ways for two entirely unremarkable coasters for my count. I plan on doing more trips on the sillier side of things, I haven't met my limit with how far I'll go for literally one roller coaster and if two hours isn't enough, I don't know what is!
I went back to Walibi Holland a week after watching it test to ride Untamed.

Never begged my way onto a kiddie cred or into a kiddie park. Not yet anyway.

I’ve day tripped Walibi Holland and Plopsaland, but not by public transport.

I drove through the night from Europa Park to Walibi Holland just so my kids could get their first RMC.

In fact I regularly drive long drives between European parks at night, just so I can do a park each day, love a road trip.

Last edited:

SimonProD

Mega Poster
I was on a round-trip in the Dollywood area and I then saw that Fury 325 has opened. I then took a day trip to Carowinds via that curvy Smoky Mountains Interstate: Drove 5 hours to Carowinds, spent 5 hours at the park and then drove back 5 hours. At the park it rained 4 out of 5 hours. At the last hour sun came out and the park spun up all rides for the few dozen visitors - got in all major coasters including 4 rides on Fury. What a day!

Will

Strata Poster
I have also done Skegness by public transport (aside from a lift between FI and Bottons) - but getting a train all the way to Narberth for Oakwood was probably the daftest.

I've also driven all the way to South Shields for a closed kiddie cred on one occasion. It was irksome.

My first trip to Japan I tweaked my connecting flight so I arrived from Manchester to Abu Dhabi early in the morning with a long layover. I kept my bags checked through to Tokyo and got a taxi from the airport to ferrari World and had a great time riding formula rossa. I spent most of the day at the park and then got a taxi back to the airport that same evening, continuing on my way to Tokyo and finding it a bit easier to sleep on the plane! .

TilenB

Strata Poster
My first trip to Japan I tweaked my connecting flight so I arrived from Manchester to Abu Dhabi early in the morning with a long layover. I kept my bags checked through to Tokyo and got a taxi from the airport to ferrari World and had a great time riding formula rossa. I spent most of the day at the park and then got a taxi back to the airport that same evening, continuing on my way to Tokyo and finding it a bit easier to sleep on the plane! .
We did something similar on our way to Australia with my dad. Arrived to Abu Dhabi airport at 7:30 am, took a bus to the city (taking a few photographs of the Grand Mosque en route) and then tried taking a bus to the Yas Island.
That didn't go as planned, as we apparently took the wrong bus that only stopped somewhere in the middle of the desert a couple of kilometers away from Ferrari World. So we crossed the highway, took the same bus back to the city and grabbed a cab that did end up taking us to our target destination.
We spent about seven hours in the park, grabbed some dinner at Chili's, ticked off the +1 hidden in the mall and grabbed a cab back to the airport to catch our 9pm flight to Sydney. 'twas a fun day.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Surely you’ve done multiple days at a single park before? Or do you mean between different parks?
I exaggerated a little. I've made two trips to Orlando and visited all the Disney parks. On the first trip we also went to the Universal parks (and spent a pitiful amount of time in Islands of Adventure, since the park closed three hours earlier than we had expected), on the second we went to Typhoon Lagoon and also Tampa Zoo (after hours, for a wedding). But I don't think I've done multiple days at one park, no.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I exaggerated a little. I've made two trips to Orlando and visited all the Disney parks. On the first trip we also went to the Universal parks (and spent a pitiful amount of time in Islands of Adventure, since the park closed three hours earlier than we had expected), on the second we went to Typhoon Lagoon and also Tampa Zoo (after hours, for a wedding). But I don't think I've done multiple days at one park, no.
Wow, I can't imagine doing one day in parks like Europa... You must have the patience of a saint, knowing you'll go back 'one day.' Kudos to you.

I don't think I could handle it, I'd be worried about getting around everything. I even tend to multi day parks that others usually single day.

emoo

Hyper Poster
Multiple parks in a day is fun and surprisingly memorable even with limited time to ride. Made up combo achievement unlocked forever, my favs are:

Idlewild (Altons Mouse) + Lakemont (Worlds Oldest) + Delgrosso's (Pasta day)
Galveston Pier + Kemah Boardwalk + ZDT *
Kentucky Kingdom + Holiday World *
Chessington & Thorpe by public transport from home

* Got to be a part of an American road trip in a friends car where the silly route got my feet in the Gulf of Mexico & lake Erie, saw some faces from trips gone by, 100+ honourable coasters inc. my first RMC then 6 more (not Lightning Rod of course), 3 mania venues, lots of Waffle House & a freshly cooked Dunkin' Donut. Somehow started stuck in the same airport as his parents before we met up due to rain.

My solo Opus was going round Japan while TDR changed from Halloween to Christmas. Space World was closing & they had the decency to give a years notice so made a special trip. Full of great rides, listening to HHGTTG in the long queues. Thanks to a well timed redundancy it ended with 3 Disney resorts in a week. I remember the transport details fondly including the doily on the taxi head rest & still have my facemask from the overnight bus.

Then there was the time I had sight of Liesberg at dawn, Oodles of rides on Wildfire at Kolmården, then sight of Gröna Lund after dark on the same day. That is a long string of train, bus and hiking so it counts to me dam it.

Never expected to leave the UK for my first couple of decades so doing anything is a joy & combos are the best.

SimonProD

Mega Poster
Another amazing day comes to mind:

I spent a weekend in Düsseldorf on the Rheinkirmes where they had Olympia Looping and Alpina-Bahn both beautifully overlooking the river Rhine. I rode both on the sunday I was leaving. I took the Intercity Express - ICE-train - to Hamburg where at the same time was the Hamburger DOM were Teststrecke was running. I put my luggage into a locker at the trainstation and did all three travelling Schwarzkopf Looping-/Speed-Racer on one day. As a plus they also has the Rock'n'Roller coaster at the DOM as family coaster - which of course is one of the two travelling Schwarzkopf Wildcat in Germany. I was rather giddy after that accomplishment 😂

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Reminds me of when I was going to schwaben park, and spotted a fair near bad canstatt, called in later and got Teststreke, Hohlenblitz, several ghost trains and funhouses, as well as that odd tower thing, with the segways on!

Another one is starting in new york city, going to Playlands castaway cove, Gillians wonderland and Moreys piers , ending in philadelphia in one day,- on public transport!

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
After our lovely Seychelles honeymoon we decided, during the 3 hour layover at Dubai we decided (on very little sleep) to go to Park Asterix.

We rushed home from Stansted Airport (to our home near Cambridge), dropped out stuff off and had to be back on the road within 40 minutes, including the time it took to pop to Halfords to get the car stuff you need for driving in France, then drove to Park Asterix. Had a little nap in the tunnel.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
After our lovely Seychelles honeymoon we decided, during the 3 hour layover at Dubai we decided (on very little sleep) to go to Park Asterix.

We rushed home from Stansted Airport (to our home near Cambridge), dropped out stuff off and had to be back on the road within 40 minutes, including the time it took to pop to Halfords to get the car stuff you need for driving in France, then drove to Park Asterix. Had a little nap in the tunnel.

For a Moment, I thought you where visiting PA during the 3 hour layover!

The 3 week trip I did in 2015 was ****ing exhausting but so much fun, and we packed in so many parks. One of the most ridiculous things we did on that trip was go to Six Flags Over Texas in a tropical storm thinking ANYTHING was going to be open (to be fair we got the indoor family ride). We then ended up scrapping our plan to go to New Orleans a few days later and drove 11 hours round trip back to the park to make sure we could get on New Texas Giant. We only had a few hours there but we packed in as much as we could.