What's new

Your favourite rides to take a first time rider on?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. As enthusiasts, many of us have ridden certain rides an awful lot of times. We know these rides like the back of our hand, and that means that it is sometimes all too easy to forget that many, many people haven’t ridden these rides before. Every single day, many people experience these rides for the very first time. With that in mind, I’d be keen to know; what are some of your favourite rides to take a first time rider on? What ride do you particularly love to see people’s first time reaction to?

I’ll get the ball rolling with my suggestion.

For me, one of my favourite rides to take a first time rider on is Thirteen at Alton Towers. The ride may be 13 years old now, but plenty of people still have absolutely no idea that that drop track and backwards section are coming! I have distinct memories of taking my Nan on there for the first time in 2019, and I remember turning to her on the second lift hill and saying “Did you enjoy the first bit, Nan?”… her face when I said “first bit” was an absolute picture! She genuinely thought we were about to get off, and was very surprised when the track dropped and we launched backwards… even excluding my Nan, everyone who I’ve ever been on the ride with for the first time seems to have had a similar reaction to the one every news anchor seemingly had when the ride first opened:

I’m taking my Grandad on it for the first time in 8 days’ time, and I can’t wait to see how he reacts to it!

But what are some of your favourite rides to take a first time rider on?

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
Damn, really wish I had more answers to this, seems like a great thread, but I managed to convince my mum that Dragon at Legoland was nothing but a dark ride, so it came to a pleasant surprise to her when the coaster section happened. Tame, but it's something!

I know what will be great rides to take first timers on though, and that's a looooong list. Though that does remind me that my brother had done the Skycoaster at South Pier in Blackpool and beat me to doing one as a result, so he got to see mine and my dad's first time reactions to Vertigo at Oakwood. Our screams could've been heard halfway across the park I reckon!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Big Grizzly Mountain at Hong Kong Disneyland is a good one. With friends who haven't been before, I tend to distract them for a few seconds and walk quickly enough that they don't really see the backwards drop or launch, depending on which way we go into that area.

If you don't know it's coming, that backward drop really takes you off guard as it comes so suddenly. The launch is always a surprise as well.

Even if you see one of the surprises, as long as you go straight into the queue, you're not going to see the other one

Trax

Hyper Poster
Taron.
Also I am (maybe a Little bit too) vocal about it being overhyped, when I am there with someone who is not that much into Rollercoasters, they are usually simply blown away from the sense of speed. Of course I tend to take them into the front row when possible.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I absolutely loved taking two non-enthusiasts on the big two at Energylandia. Their faces when they saw Hyperion for the first time! So I guess the answer is… anything super top tier.

… and it’s only partially on topic but I can’t be alone in wishing I was there to observe the on ride reactions of @Matt N when he gets on VelociCoaster and Iron Gwazi this summer - those trip reports have got to be the most anticipated CoasterForce event of the year! Which coaster will come out on top?! 😱

zoeycuten

Roller Poster
Depends. Honestly my best bet would be Comet at Waldameer since it doesn't look too intimidating to a first time rider.
But then again, it is hilarious taking someone on Ravine Flyer II for the first time- especially if you get back row. My friend's reaction was really something.

Inverting_Thrills

Mega Poster
While I was in Orlando with some family we all decided to ride Hagrid's. I was the only one of us that knew anything about the ride, in particular the drop track and spike. It was very fun hearing everyone's reactions!

Bowser

Mega Poster
Hi guys. As enthusiasts, many of us have ridden certain rides an awful lot of times. We know these rides like the back of our hand, and that means that it is sometimes all too easy to forget that many, many people haven’t ridden these rides before. Every single day, many people experience these rides for the very first time. With that in mind, I’d be keen to know; what are some of your favourite rides to take a first time rider on? What ride do you particularly love to see people’s first time reaction to?

I’ll get the ball rolling with my suggestion.

For me, one of my favourite rides to take a first time rider on is Thirteen at Alton Towers. The ride may be 13 years old now, but plenty of people still have absolutely no idea that that drop track and backwards section are coming! I have distinct memories of taking my Nan on there for the first time in 2019, and I remember turning to her on the second lift hill and saying “Did you enjoy the first bit, Nan?”… her face when I said “first bit” was an absolute picture! She genuinely thought we were about to get off, and was very surprised when the track dropped and we launched backwards… even excluding my Nan, everyone who I’ve ever been on the ride with for the first time seems to have had a similar reaction to the one every news anchor seemingly had when the ride first opened:

I’m taking my Grandad on it for the first time in 8 days’ time, and I can’t wait to see how he reacts to it!

But what are some of your favourite rides to take a first time rider on?

Taking my family to Alton Towers for the first time next month, they don't know any of the rides so very excited for this (i've not been on it either but know what it is).

Get to do this a lot with my son which is fun. The best ones are the Dark rides where he has absolutely no idea what to expect so hopefully The Curse will be good too.

Seeing his mind blow when the gondolas turned round on Sky Lion at Legoland was amazing :D