What's new

Your Favourite Film?

nadroJ

CF Legend
What is/are your favourite film(s) and why?

Mine always seem to change but the way I define my favourites is by how rewatchable I find them. The Blair Witch Project has always been up there, because I will never forget how I felt after the first time I watched it, and how rewatching it still managed to leave me disturbed after so many viewings.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Stupidly hard question to answer :lol:

It was always an easy one, Alien, followed by Blade Runner and then probably The Lost Boys on a whim. Films I could watch over and over and love every time.

Sadly, the world of cinema has left them far behind and they just don't quite stack up these days across the board (though to be honest, both films have outstanding moments/scenes/sets/environments that put most modern films to shame). Obviously The Lost Boys is just cheesy fun :)

I think what I've found is that I just can't say. I could probably give you a top ten or top twenty, but I would find it exceptionally difficult to order them. I guess that after watching good/adult films over and over for 20+ years, they all lose their impact. Yet to immediately add a new film in is impossible because it has to stack against everything else you've seen. The thing just becomes an impossible task.

I'll probably agree with most people's choices in here and class them as great, brilliant or in some other way superb films, but I don't think I could put any of them as my favourite.

The exception is The Blair Witch Project which was complete bollocks. Actually, it's mediocre to middling, but was so over hyped and so over affecting on people it was stupid.

I watched it on release at the cinema and can find little good to say about the film other than "the annoying **** brats all get killed in the end, thank **** for putting them out of my misery!"

Sorry, SPOILER, the brats are **** annoying, if you've not seen the film don't bother :p

Actually, the tent scene was fantastic, properly "good as The Haunting bedroom scene" brilliant. The teeth outside polished it off superbly.

Other than that, annoying brats are annoying and don't get killed off quickly enough.

Brilliant bit of marketing and superb hyping of the film though to make it such a success.

nadroJ

CF Legend
^I think I love it so much because I didn't see it amongst the 'media hype'. I was too young to see it when it came out, and waited years to finally watch it. And I love psychological horror <3

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I can understand that, but... THOSE **** ANNOYING BRATS!!!! :lol:

Ben

CF Legend
Jesus, Blair Witch Project is one of the worst films ever made. It makes me literally want to kill myself. Even stuff like Paranormal Activity was better. Which I refuse to watch again cause it shat me up at the cinema but I bet it's gash at home.

Um, my favourite film of all time is easy, the Rocky Horror Picture Show. It's just, perfect. I used to watch it on VHS every Sunday morning at my dad's house, creep down at 7 and watch it before anyone else got up. When I was like, 5. And then they're surprised when I turn out raging...

It's just, yeah. No other film will ever have the sort of memories or significance as that does for me. I love it <3

Then Pulp Fiction is what I'd call the "best" film ever. So good.

nealbie

CF Legend
Ben raises an interesting point, because best and favourite are two completely different things.

The best film to me is Terminator 2. Judgement Day is just awesome and has aged spectacularly well, unlike the original (that music haha <3). In my opinion it's the pinnacle blockbuster and nothing has ever come close. Other than a couple of paradoxical plot holes (mainly caused by the ever worsening sequels - in fact, let's pretend Salvation doesn't exist), it's perfect film.

My favourite on the other hand is The Lion King. Anyone who's ever witnessed any of my couple-of-hundred viewings of that film will testify just how much I adore it. Such a furry..... :roll: :p

nadroJ

CF Legend
Very true, favourite is all about what you personally enjoy the most. Doesn't mean it has to be a 'good' film exactly.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
nealbie said:
ther than a couple of paradoxical plot holes (mainly caused by the ever worsening sequels - in fact, let's pretend Salvation doesn't exist), it's perfect film.

We've discussed this at length Neal, and the paradoxical plot holes are introduced in T2 and can't be patched up... EVER :p

Plus, it's not that good a film, but it's a great "leave most of your brains at the door" action blockbuster :)

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Billy Madison is probably the most watched movie I own. Every year on the first day of school, my best friend and I watch it. I watch it constantly, and yeah, it's not a "great" movie by any sense, but it is absolutely perfect for me.

Other films that I just absolutely love: Lion King, Superbad, Wedding Crashers, and Saving Private Ryan.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Jurassic Park is my favorite of all time. It is the only movie that has actually made me tear up in sheer beauty and awesomeness. Watching it to this day (in blu-ray now :3) makes me get tingles in the spine and makes my day better.

Other faves are Blindness, Inception, Anatomie and Lola Rennt.

Switching between the hideouts'...

I've always loved Labyrinth and could definitely recite it word for word because I've watched it so many times. It's such a creative and fun movie that I don't really understand how anybody could dislike it, apart from Brad maybe who wanted to hang himself after I made him watch it. But what do guys know about taste! Wizard of Oz is another fantasy movie and classic that I've loved since childhood. It has such a timeless quality about it and the characters in it are so lovable.

Green Mile comes in third place for me. Such GREAT character development, very touching, and it reflects the ills of society in a really interesting way. It's a very emotional film and not one I try to watch too often, but it's amazing nonetheless.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Pinchcliffe Grand Prix. Cultural icon. Childhood memories. And... well, I guess you'll understand if you decide to watch it once.

Other than that... well, I don't keep any top list. I enjoy most of the films I watch (either by telling my brain to shut up and just ignore the bad stuff, or by bashing said bad stuff loudly), and the rest... well, leaving the room is always an option.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
My all time favourite is Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?. It's over-the-top, camp nonsense really, but I love the fact that Bette Davis and Joan Crawford are in it together. They're two of my favourite actresses, and they hated each other in real life, which I think really helped their performances in the film (Bette Davis is MINDBLOWING in it). They only agreed to do it because they were both basically washed up at the time it was made and needed the work.

Anyway, that's all besides the point as I never knew all that when I first saw it; it just adds to it now that I know the whole backstory behind it. There was a French and Saunders pisstake of it one night when I was about 15. I had no idea what they were referencing, but they showed the original film right after and I've loved it, and Davis and Crawford, ever since.

I also kind of love it because it gave them both new careers as horror movie actresses, and spawned a whole new genre of film: Psycho biddy!

In terms of "best" film though? I'd give that to either Citizen Kane, All About Eve or Sunset Boulevard.

Oh I forgot to mention that I have to agree with Jordan about Blair Witch. It has lost its impact a little bit because I've watched it so much, but that along with Paranormal Activity (the original one) are two movies that scared the crap out of me when I first seen them!

Anyway now that I'm done my essay I have more time for a list:

Labyrinth
Wizard of Oz
Green Mile
Requiem for a Dream
Schindler's List
Dead Man Walking
Sweeney Todd
The Illusionist
Home Alone 1 and 2
Willy Wonka
When Harry Met Sally

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Intricks said:
Jurassic Park is my favorite of all time. It is the only movie that has actually made me tear up in sheer beauty and awesomeness. Watching it to this day (in blu-ray now :3) makes me get tingles in the spine and makes my day better.

I saw it three times at the cinema on initial release and I think it's a brilliant "blockbuster". It's one of those films that if I catch it on TV, I'll sit and watch it (even though I own it on DVD).

It's not a very worthy film though. There's no superb direction, no spark of brilliance in the way the film is made, but it's such a superbly watch-able action romp. So something was done right, but looking at it critically, it's not good :lol: Love it anyway :)

gavin said:
My all time favourite is Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?. It's over-the-top, camp nonsense really, but I love the fact that Bette Davis and Joan Crawford are in it together. They're two of my favourite actresses, and they hated each other in real life, which I think really helped their performances in the film (Bette Davis is MINDBLOWING in it). They only agreed to do it because they were both basically washed up at the time it was made and needed the work.

It's a great film, I can understand why you love it Gavin :)

Gavin said:
In terms of "best" film though? I'd give that to either Citizen Kane, All About Eve or Sunset Boulevard.

All about Eve stands out for me oddly. Citizen Kane was a normal life story affair made all arty (it's a brilliant film, don't get me wrong), so it's a bit pretentious now. Sunset Boulevard is also great, but it's a little "bitty" and obvious today, I think it's that the production was a little hit and miss. All about Eve though was just superb. Quality all the way through with a great story, great performances and some superb direction. There's very little to pick between them really, but they're "best" not favourites :)