What's new

X-Punk as themeing in theme parks.

kimahri

CF Legend
So yeah, this was my idea from the Concept art thread.

I was thinking that a lot of rides seem to be steampunk or have those influences but, I don't really see much of the other rediculous amount of other "punk" themes. There never seems to be any Cyberpunk or Biopunk theme or influences around. Could these be applied to rides? Clock and Diesel punk could work I suppose.

Actually, could a park get away with having some Biopunk ride with Biological **** replacing everything and not get called out for being too grizzly or unsettling or what ever?

Uh, Discuss I guess?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think Steampunk is easy because it's essentially just over the top Victoriana. There's nothing threatening about it, but it "looks cool" - it's also quite "light" in that it uses lots of brass, gold and light greys/silvers.

I guess Nemesis is Biopunk to a degree? Batman sits in Gothicpunk somewhere (so stuff like The Dark Knight), but generally it's a little too dark and miserable. Atmosphere is fine, but if it spreads too far, you've got a chance of muting the mood of your visitors, and unhappy visitors spend less :)

Lofty

CF Legend
I love Steampunk. I just think it's a fantastic theme to explore for a park. It's got so many outcomes for a rather expansive themed ride. It really is a strong theme. Dieselpunk could work too.

nadroJ

CF Legend
For parks with lower budgets though, the whole -punk theme calls for too much attention to detail to work properly? When it's done right, it looks **** cool (TokyoDisneySea) whereas if done on a half arsed budget the specificity of the theme can be lost (Shock at RainbowMagicLand).

I do like it, but I don't like it when it's done badly.