What's new

X goes forward

Beans

Hyper Poster
Taken from Thorpe Park Ofiicial

Are you ready to ride on a wave of light and sound as you experience the evolution of X:\ No Way Out?

X has been renamed and is heading in a new direction in 2013 as it challenges adrenaline seekers to face a rollercoaster experience like no other at Thorpe Park. Thrill your senses with a race through light and sound that will plunge you into a mix of intense colour and music.

Redesigned and reprogrammed around light and sound, the X trains will now speed forwards into tunnels of changing coloured light. And with a new coaster experience, new fans can enjoy the ride when, for the first time, thrill seekers in the making will be able to face the challenge of X.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
I'd thought Merlin would've had more sense than to name a coaster X, considering X at SFMM, is famous and popular (even if it is called X2 now).

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Why? It's always been known as X and it's unlikely that anybody will be confused.

"Joyce, there's a ride here called X. Are you sure we're in Surrey and not California?" :p

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Is it still gunna have all the rubbish stops? I can't see this being any better if they haven't gotten rid of those.

marc

CF Legend
It will stop people being sick and it now has theming so it's an improvement that's for sure.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
elephant58 said:
I'd thought Merlin would've had more sense than to name a coaster X, considering X at SFMM, is famous and popular (even if it is called X2 now).
It's called X because at the time it opened, The X-Files was popular and cool and they were trying to ride that show's "spooky" coat-tails.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I wonder what they'll do with the old name sign? I'd love to get my hands on X's colon.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Yes, Erol, we did and thank you! I think several people owe you an apology, myself included. Sorry for doubting you. However, it's always good to get official word.

Nic

Strata Poster
I really hope that the effects are going to be as brilliantly bonkers as (R)Evolution at BobbieJobbieLand. I swear there were hallucinogens involved when that was put together.

In reality, it'll be some **** dance track played through an ipod dock and a couple of strings of fairy lights.

I also don't like the idea of it being called X, as X/X2 is my favourite coaster. However, the majority of the general public won't have ever heard of that, and actually, it doesn't matter even if they have. It will make me die a little inside every time I see it though :(

nadroJ

CF Legend
Why did they have to change the name? Apart from the backslash did anything else indicate it going backwards? I don't think so. Maybe they're trying to get rid of the X:\WTF stigma haha XD

Jools

Giga Poster
I like this coaster, think it's a good laugh, me and my bffl always wondered what it would be like forward, might even be better! Looking forward to riding it again though, just out of pure curiosity, funnily enough I enjoyed it backwards more when the lights were switched on too... strange. :lol:

Martyn B

CF Legend
It's odd that they're not pluggin it as new either. On the map, the only "new for 2013" thing is the hotel.

I would have thought they'd make a bigger deal about this and Mraws.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Was it open on the annual pass day? Has anyone ridden it yet? Would be interested to see a pov although might not be much to see!