What's new

Wisconsin Dells

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'll be heading to Wisconsin Dells in the summer. I'm trying to roughly plan things out, but am at a bit of a loss when it comes to this place as to how long to give myself there. I've noticed a coupkle of people mention the place in that new "favourite type of vacation" topic, so figured a few people would have more of an idea.

Obviously, I'll do Mount Olympus and that other place with the woodie, probably in the same day, but otherwise I'm kind of unsure how long I should stay there. I'm not really interested in water parks and crazy golf and other random s**te like that, but what else is there to actually do there?

Cheers!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Some places have arcades with a few rides, but most require a stay at the hotel. Other things to do there are Duck Tours(amphibious trucks). I highly recommend those. Very fun, and has gorgeous scenery. There are a few zipline tours, as well. There is one of those SCAD freefall towers(and something else too that involves a large tower). For food, I highly recommend going to Buffalo Phil's. They serve you via mini train(certain tables), and they also have a cred there too(and a maybe-maybe not cred thing). Have fun!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
The SCAD Tower has been closed for a couple of years now, ever since they released a girl without putting the net in place.
I don't have much to add Gavin, as I always get the hell out of there as soon as I'm done with Mt. Olympus and Timber Falls.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Yeah, it's a place I didn't think I'd get to for a while, if ever, but it's actually surprisingly well-connected by train between Milwaukee and Minneapolis, much better than flying at least since the train station is much better located than the nearest airport. I've always had a bit of strange fascination with Mount Olympus; it looks like a total dump, but I've always kind of wanted to go.

I'm thinking I'll just do a couple of days: one for the parks and one to just hang out and see what else is around. One of those boat tours sounds ok.

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
I have brought it up before when Wisconsin Dells is being discussed and I am going to do it again- House on the Rock. It's so weird and unlike anything I have ever seen, I don't how to describe it or what to call it. It's about an hour out from the Dells but it is worth it. Highly recommended.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^House on the Rock is definitely something I'll be checking out next time I'm heading up that way, but not someplace that Gavin can easily get to using public transportation.

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
ECG said:
^House on the Rock is definitely something I'll be checking out next time I'm heading up that way, but not someplace that Gavin can easily get to using public transportation.
Oops, did not realize he would be using public transportation.

davidm

Strata Poster
I am already looking forward to the "Gavin-view" of the Dells!

--

Been through a couple of times - few comments and pics here from not that long ago (some of the other places (MAdv/Minnesota) that you are planning on are in here as well);

viewtopic.php?p=902485#p902485

And an older (less detailed) TR : viewtopic.php?p=601831#p601831

I don't think the Dells will hold much interest for you outside an hour or two in the park - some of the local scenery is pretty nice (rivers, forests) and I did boat trip up to see Stand Rock the first time I was there and that was pleasant enough (but very tourist-y). Second time I was there I also just got the hell out of there as soon as I could.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Cheers for the replies. I've booked two nights there, the first one because I'll be arriving around 6pm and won't be able to do a lot. I'll have a full day/night the next day, and all day the day after before getting a train out around 5pm.

I debated getting a train out a day earlier, as in arriving in the evening, staying one night, getting the parks done the next day and leaving that same day. I've got plenty of time though, so decided not to rush it.