What's new

Windseeker openings?

I know all the Windseeker rides were due to open in early May, but now that it is almost June and I am due to go to some of these parks soon, I was wondering if anyone knew the new proposed opening day? I know it doesn't look like a great ride but I'd be bummed if I went and didn't get to at least try it!

Snoo

The Legend
Saw WS at CP today.. and that bad boy isn't even close to being done. I suspect it will be mid June before that boy is taking on visitors.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
KBF just broke ground this week I think, or they started construction one of the two, that one is probably going to be up around July, I think KI's is done and no clue about CW.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Knotts' just went vertical, so that won't be done until mid summer. Cedar Point's is currently being rewired due to electrical and computer issues. Canada's Wonderland's was testing, but I'm not sure if riders have gone on it yet. King's Island seemed to be the one most ahead of schedule, but once again, I haven't heard anything.

Is it just me, or has it been a strange year for ride construction? It seems like a lot of rides besides the WindSeekers have been delayed or just haven't been started on time. After reading a Cedar Point opening day report, it doesn't seem like they have their **** together.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Weather.

In the case of Kings Island, Cincinnati was hit by a solid 3 weeks of non-stop rain (which has now turned into flooding for states along the Mississippi River), which hampered construction for both WindSeeker and the Dinosaurs Alive! walkthrough. KI is slowly testing WindSeeker right now, which a hopeful opening date of next weekend for Memorial Day.

As for CP, I'd guess another cold winter prevented construction, just the same as we saw with Maverick.

Another variable is the manufacturer. If they didn't have the parts ready to ship on time, it will naturally push back everyone's time tables for construction.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
KBF also moved the location of theirs from the sky cabin to fiesta village, which is just making that area even MORE of a cluster ****.

Wow, some of them just went vertical? That sucks! I know Wonderland's had some testing so I don't understand what is holding it up. Either way if I don't get on it, I won't be massively disappointed as I will get to ride it at some point this season, I was just curious to know when they were scheduled to open but I suppose there's no definitive date.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I was at Cedar Point yesterday and it looked like they were testing clearances with the tower. When we arrived at the park, the carriage was about 60 feet off the ground and throughout the day, they slowly lifted it higher until it was just under the top. I did notice that they had all the seats tethered together to prevent excessive swinging. They also had about five extension cords tied together dangling down from the maintenance platform on the carriage. It's progressing, looking great, and I can't wait to ride it:

305805220.jpg

For anyone wondering, I found out that Wonderland's Windseeker was the first one to open about four or five days ago. Hopefully the other ones follow suit fairly quickly.

^ Fail, but I'll be at Wonderland and Cedar Point next week so hopefully one of the two decides to open :p . I had a feeling they'd have some problems so I can't say I'm surprised!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Well CP's WindSeeker is looking pretty close to opening, so hopefully you'll be in luck!

WindSeekerCam_800.jpg

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Well..isn't that a bright eye sore. How long til someone who lives far away claims to see a UFO?

^ If they think a large, lighted tower with a lighted gondola on it is a UFO, especially amidst all the other rides that are lit up, they need to have their intelligence checked haha!

And good, I should be heading there either Thursday or Friday and I know my dad thinks it looks cool as well, but sadly for him it isn't a "cred." His favourite thing to ask is if things are "creds" and even today when we were on a boat ride he's like YAAAA CRED FOR MY COUNT! It's embarrassing!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Look at you, teaching your father coaster geek terms. :wink:

Windseeker testing (verb)- Cedar Point's ride, Windseeker, was running but without passengers on it. The carriage was spinning and going up and down the tower.