What's new

Will Disney always remain the top dog of the theme park industry?

Matt N

CF Legend
Disclaimer: This post ended up far longer than I originally anticipated; I apologise for that in advance! If you struggle with long posts, scroll to the bottom for a TL;DR.
Hi guys. Whatever you think of Disney theme parks, it is hard to deny that in terms of popularity, fan following, and general influence within the industry, they are at the absolute zenith of theme parks on the world stage. Even if Disney theme parks are not your personal favourite, it is hard to argue against them being the most well known and popular theme parks on Earth by quite some distance. I’d wager that there are very few people in the developed world who haven’t heard of “Disneyland” in some capacity, and millions upon millions of people flock to Disney theme parks each year; of the top 10 most visited theme parks in the world in the 2019 TEA report, 8 of them were operated by Disney. The parks also have a huge fan following and captive audience; whereas most theme parks only have a few fan communities, Disney has umpteen of them, and travel tips, theme park vlogs and general Disney discussion around even the smallest of elements within the parks is plentiful across the internet.

There are plenty of good reasons why they have developed such influence and reputation over the years. Disney were one of the key trailblazers in developing the theme park in its contemporary form, many of their attractions are/were truly innovative and boundary-pushing for their time, and the parks have arguably curated a very unique sense of Disney “magic” that transcends their physical ride hardware, through things such as parades, fireworks shows, and character meet and greets that have become pretty iconic over the years.

However… some of the chain’s recent decision making has come under heavy criticism, and Disney has been criticised as being increasingly out of touch with modern theme park goers. In recent years, there has been a substantially increased emphasis upon planning in advance, which some have argued makes the parks more stressful to visit. The parks have scrapped their free FastPass in favour of a paid option. The parks’ investments are growing less plentiful and arguably less revered to some extent; many were disappointed with the recent D23 Expo for its lack of announcements aside from a delayed TRON opening and some “blue sky” ideas for the end of the decade, and some of the company’s recent investments (e.g. Avengers Campus) have come under fair criticism. The lack of anything non-IP based is also coming under fire from some. Not to mention, the parks are becoming very expensive; day tickets for the parks are approaching $200, and some of the new experiences are getting incredibly pricey… the new Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser hotel experience, with a price starting at $5,000 for two people, is a prime example of this. With all this happening, it does seem as though a not insignificant group within enthusiast circles are becoming somewhat disillusioned with the Disney parks.

However, in spite of this resentment from some… the parks remain phenomenally popular. The visitor figures remain high across the board, and still grow each year. Millions of families still visit Disney theme parks each year and come out blown away by the experience. The parks still have their reputation and prestige just as much as they ever did; millions of people are still drawn in to a first time visit by it, and millions of people still return for their umpteenth visit because of it.

Before I get too carried away, my basic question is; will Disney ever be beaten as the theme park champions of the world? Will the resentment of a minority eventually build up towards becoming the resentment of a majority and stop people from wanting to visit Disney parks? Will the hefty efforts of competitors eventually lure people away from Disney for good? Will they ever lose their status as top dog of the theme park industry, in your opinion?

Personally, I’m honestly not sure they ever will; I genuinely think that Disney are a somewhat invincible name within the theme park industry. I reckon that no matter what Disney does and what the competition does, there will still be a rather considerable captive audience who will visit the parks because of that Disney name and the brand they’ve concocted over the years.

I think this because I’d argue that Disney have been very clever in how they’ve marketed and positioned the parks over the years. They’ve developed a phenomenally strong brand image, and they’ve worked on emphasising the whole product as something so truly magical and beyond words that it transcends any investments or physical ride hardware. Obviously this won’t be the case for everyone, but most who visit Disney parks or aspire to visit them don’t really care about the latest cutting edge rides or investment. For instance, my aunt dreams of visiting Disney World. My dad said to her “I wouldn't recommend Magic Kingdom unless you have young children. It’s rammed full of little kids, the rides are mostly a bit rubbish, and bits of it look really quite tired”. My aunt said back “I don’t care about the rides. I want to be a princess, and see Mickey and Goofy, and watch the fireworks and the parade!”. If my aunt is anything to go by, then Disney’s appeal is curated on the general sense of magic, as well as a bit of nostalgia thrown in for good measure, rather than anything to do with its physical ride hardware or investments, and I think that is a very hard thing to replicate.

I’m genuinely convinced that Disney could build nothing new for 10 years and still have their attendance figures stay relatively stable or possibly even grow, and I think that’s a rather unique situation that no other theme park could replicate.

Case in point; Disneyland Park in France has not changed a whole lot since it opened. The last new ride built there was Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast back in 2006. Before that, it was Space Mountain in 1995. You could probably count the number of new attractions built in that park since its opening in 1992 on one or two hands… yet over the course of the 2010s (between 2010 and 2019), park attendance only declined by 755,000, or 7.2%, in spite of the park adding no new attractions during that period.

DLP might not even be the best case study of this given that park’s well established inherent issues that have existed from the get go. Let’s instead look at the Magic Kingdom in Florida. The Florida resort went through somewhat of a dry spell of large CAPEX investments during the late 2000s and early 2010s (I don’t believe there were any between Expedition Everest in 2006 and New Fantasyland in 2014, but correct me if I’m wrong there), and this dry spell aligned pretty perfectly with when Universal Orlando blew the theme park industry wide open with WWOHP. You’d think that Disney might face a decline in guest figures due to this and the relatively minimal investment into MK during that timeframe, but in the 5 years between 2009 and 2014, park attendance actually grew by 2,099,000, or 12.2%; even with Universal making a very ballsy attempt to take visitors away from Disney in the form of the two WWOHP areas during that time, the House of Mouse emerged completely unscathed.

Even going away from Disney’s ability to stabilise or grow their business without making huge investments; I’d also argue that some enthusiasts’ perceived negatives within the current Disney operation actually lean toward the demands of the modern guest. For instance, I would make the argument that Disney’s incredibly IP-driven approach within their parks as of late has come about due to guests going to the parks seeking out their favourite characters and film franchises. If people couldn’t do that in this day and age, I’d argue that they would be disappointed. As much as enthusiasts might bemoan additions like Avengers Campus and the rethemes of Disney icons to IPs, I’d argue that IPs are exactly what the modern guest wants from Disney parks. With Avengers Campus, for example; I’d imagine that your average guest would say “They’ve got an Avengers land? Awesome!” and be more compelled to go for this reason rather than bemoaning the perceived unoriginality and blandness of the land like most enthusiasts appear to be doing. As much as we enthusiasts may have found a non-branded land more interesting, I think the appeal among your average guest would have been far lower.

My point is; no matter what the competition does, I reckon Disney will always remain top dog. They’ve curated a very unique brand image and perceived experience that far transcends any physical ride hardware or flash new investments, and I think that will always work in their favour. And I also think that some of their current strategies, while bemoaned by enthusiasts, lean into what the contemporary guest seeks from their parks.

But what are your thoughts? Do you think Disney will always remain top dog? Or do you think resentment will build, or the competition will get too intense, and someone else will eventually take Disney’s crown? I’d be keen to know your thoughts!

TL;DR: Disney have sat at the zenith of the theme park industry for decades now. But with some of their recent decision making proving quite unpopular among enthusiasts, the question I ask today is; will Disney always remain top dog within the theme park industry, in your opinion? I personally feel that they will for two reasons. The first is that their brand has been very cleverly curated so that the hook of the parks far transcends any physical ride hardware or flash new investments, and the second is that I feel some of their current strategies, although loathed by a majority of enthusiasts, lean into the contemporary guest’s demands from the Disney parks.

Last edited:

Graeme

Roller Poster
I agree with you, Matt, that it's really all about the IP. As long as Disney is a big enough company to own the most popular entertainment of the time (Marvel, Star Wars), that'll be enough to get people to the parks.

They're also a very shrewd/ruthless company, willing to make as much or as little effort as the situation demands. The classics from the heyday are outstanding, like Big Thunder Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean etc, but they're not above putting in much more modest and low capacity rides. On the flip side, Rise of the Resistance looks amazing (I haven't ridden it), putting you "into" Star Wars in a way that other companies might not have been able to do.

From the people I know who love Disney, they really love Disney, and it just seems to be an immovable thing.

Christian

Hyper Poster
Incredibly well written post! I fully agree with you. Disney is the synonymous brand when it comes to theme parks and children's entertainment experiences. It's the first choice for most people, might not be that way for the next generation, but right now it's future as the top dog is secured.

It all comes down to what our generation will do with our future kids. Will we still go to Disney? Or choose something else?

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
To answer the title's question, yes, Disney parks will almost certainly remain top for a long time in terms of attendance and popularity.

But the company has clearly changed its approach to the way the parks are designed.

I think it could be summed up as:

Disney parks used to be made more for people who enjoy theme parks, but now they’re made for people who enjoy Disney movies.

And that's why those of us whose interests leant strongly towards the theme park side of the company, and not so much the movie side, now find everything they build today so uninteresting.

Disco Lumberjack

Roller Poster
With IPs it's entirely about a person's relationship with the IP as well as the strength of the park's execution. Even though I don't really like the sequel trilogy of Star Wars movies, I am a huge fan of Star Wars and Galaxy's Edge gets enough right that I loved it. Rise of the Resistance is phenomenal and is in my view the best dark ride in the world by a large margin. I very much enjoyed Pandora, but I don't really have any great attachment to the Avatar IP so it was just cool theming to me. Angry Birds Land is using an IP for a mobile game that I played a few times many years ago and it doesn't feel substantial enough to warrant a themed land, what makes it worse is that the quality of the theming itself isn't very good and the attractions are D-tier. Avengers Campus in Paris looks like a substantial step back from the quality of Galaxy's Edge and I'm not that excited to get back over there to experience it, even though I have a good relationship with the Marvel IP.

Disney has a huge advantage over other companies in that they own the rights to so many beloved IPs, previously their execution has been excellent, but if they continue to phone it in, eventually their halo will start to fade. If that happens I'd expect Universal to eat their lunch in the US, it might take a decade, maybe two, but I think it's a certainty unless they up their game. In Europe they have a much easier time of it because they don't have much competition in the movie franchise IPs space, they could probably continue to deprive DLP of high quality investment with few consequences.

Christian

Hyper Poster
In Europe they have a much easier time of it because they don't have much competition in the movie franchise IPs space, they could probably continue to deprive DLP of high quality investment with few consequences.

I beg to differ for two reasons. Firstly DLP is by no means as developed as DW is. At DW they have their own enormous city with many theme parks, massive hotels and water parks easily creating a definitive one stop shop for a one week family holiday without ever leaving Disney property. In Paris that is not the case.

Secondly, Disney and Universal are essentially the only two players in the theme park business in America. The rest offer mostly unthemed amusement parks or sparsely themed amusement parks with animals. In Europe theme parks are a lot more common and even your closest park might have theming that massively exceeds the American standards. In Europe, Disney compete with parks like Europa Park, Phantasialand, PortAventura, Efteling, etc, who offer a themed experience of similar or better quality. I think families care less about movie IPs and more about a good holiday for a good value. If I were Disney I would start being careful of further neglecting DLP. It might one day backfire on them.

Disco Lumberjack

Roller Poster
I beg to differ for two reasons. Firstly DLP is by no means as developed as DW is. At DW they have their own enormous city with many theme parks, massive hotels and water parks easily creating a definitive one stop shop for a one week family holiday without ever leaving Disney property. In Paris that is not the case.

Secondly, Disney and Universal are essentially the only two players in the theme park business in America. The rest offer mostly unthemed amusement parks or sparsely themed amusement parks with animals. In Europe theme parks are a lot more common and even your closest park might have theming that massively exceeds the American standards. In Europe, Disney compete with parks like Europa Park, Phantasialand, PortAventura, Efteling, etc, who offer a themed experience of similar or better quality. I think families care less about movie IPs and more about a good holiday for a good value. If I were Disney I would start being careful of further neglecting DLP. It might one day backfire on them.
You make a good point about the quality of European theme parks, I visited Efteling earlier this year and was blown away by how beautiful it was. Before I was an enthusiast I had no idea that Europa Park, Efteling or Phantasialand even existed, but I definitely knew about DLP. I don't know how much brand awareness these parks have across Europe, but they're certainly not reaching the UK to the extent that they could. I think for them to actually compete with Disney they need to spend more on advertising. The other piece of the puzzle is that Disney's IPs are a substantial draw, not the only draw, but a substantial one. Often meaning that some people wouldn't even consider going to another park/resort. Disney does lack substantial competition when it comes to IP themed lands within Europe, there's nothing on the level of WWOHP to compete with them.

cookie

Giga Poster

I disagree with the second assesment. I know a lot of people who’d never go to the likes of Europa, Phantasia, or Efteling, but would flock to DLP if given the opportunity. Those same people would also go to Orlando before any of those parks. There’s a reason why a stagnated DLP still outclasses every other European park in attendance by a wide margin. The brand does sell.

Christian

Hyper Poster
You make a good point about the quality of European theme parks, I visited Efteling earlier this year and was blown away by how beautiful it was. Before I was an enthusiast I had no idea that Europa Park, Efteling or Phantasialand even existed, but I definitely knew about DLP. I don't know how much brand awareness these parks have across Europe, but they're certainly not reaching the UK to the extent that they could. I think for them to actually compete with Disney they need to spend more on advertising. The other piece of the puzzle is that Disney's IPs are a substantial draw, not the only draw, but a substantial one. Often meaning that some people wouldn't even consider going to another park/resort. Disney does lack substantial competition when it comes to IP themed lands within Europe, there's nothing on the level of WWOHP to compete with them.
I disagree with the second assesment. I know a lot of people who’d never go to the likes of Europa, Phantasia, or Efteling, but would flock to DLP if given the opportunity. Those same people would also go to Orlando before any of those parks. There’s a reason why a stagnated DLP still outclasses every other European park in attendance by a wide margin. The brand does sell.

I agree with both of you. DLP has the IP and brand that no one else can compete with on a European level. My point was that DLP will be more vulnerable to lack of quality than DW is. For every European family DLP is their first idea when it comes to theme parks. Same was the case for my family when I was a kid. But, in order to get repeat visits Disney need to keep up their game. Otherwise, DLP will be a ones in a lifetime thing for most families. While more local parks like EP, PHL, Efteling, Legoland, etc could get the repeat visits. More parks are slowly entering into competition with Disney. Parks such as Liseberg that are building a big family hotel and waterpark might in the future be competing for the yearly resort visit in the eyes of the local population. A Swedish family might instead get a weekend holiday at Liseberg instead of DLP. With a hotel, EL could do the same for the Polish market. EP and PHL for the German. Efteling for the Benelux. My point is not that Europe has one definitive Disney competitor but rather plenty of local parks that offer similar enjoyment and high quality for a better value.

In that sense, the sheer reach of the Disney brand does not matter. Liseberg is a stronger brand for the Swedish market than DLP is. In a similar way I presume EL is for Poland, EP for Germany, Efteling for the Netherlands and PortAventura for Spain. Liseberg's new hotel has about 450 family rooms. These are 450 families that potential choose Liseberg over Disney. When Disney opened 30 years ago none of these parks were even close to the standard of Disney. In those 30 years all of them have completely reinvented themselves while DLP has stayed mostly the same.

In a way one can say DLP also competes with DW. With tickets only a couple hundred euros it's hard justifying the budget Disneyland when DW is not too far away. DW might instead become the ones in a lifetime experience for Europeans.

The US simply doesn't have the theme park quality to even remotely justify anyone else than Universal competing with Disney for that multiple days theme park family holiday.

Matt N

CF Legend
I agree with both of you. DLP has the IP and brand that no one else can compete with on a European level. My point was that DLP will be more vulnerable to lack of quality than DW is. For every European family DLP is their first idea when it comes to theme parks. Same was the case for my family when I was a kid. But, in order to get repeat visits Disney need to keep up their game. Otherwise, DLP will be a ones in a lifetime thing for most families. While more local parks like EP, PHL, Efteling, Legoland, etc could get the repeat visits. More parks are slowly entering into competition with Disney. Parks such as Liseberg that are building a big family hotel and waterpark might in the future be competing for the yearly resort visit in the eyes of the local population. A Swedish family might instead get a weekend holiday at Liseberg instead of DLP. With a hotel, EL could do the same for the Polish market. EP and PHL for the German. Efteling for the Benelux. My point is not that Europe has one definitive Disney competitor but rather plenty of local parks that offer similar enjoyment and high quality for a better value.

In that sense, the sheer reach of the Disney brand does not matter. Liseberg is a stronger brand for the Swedish market than DLP is. In a similar way I presume EL is for Poland, EP for Germany, Efteling for the Netherlands and PortAventura for Spain. Liseberg's new hotel has about 450 family rooms. These are 450 families that potential choose Liseberg over Disney. When Disney opened 30 years ago none of these parks were even close to the standard of Disney. In those 30 years all of them have completely reinvented themselves while DLP has stayed mostly the same.

In a way one can say DLP also competes with DW. With tickets only a couple hundred euros it's hard justifying the budget Disneyland when DW is not too far away. DW might instead become the ones in a lifetime experience for Europeans.

The US simply doesn't have the theme park quality to even remotely justify anyone else than Universal competing with Disney for that multiple days theme park family holiday.
That’s an interesting point, but I do feel that Disney could still pull people from all over Europe in a unique way that none of the others do. Your case study of, say, a Polish family holidaying at EL or a German family holidaying at EP would very much be a domestic theme park break, while DLP would be a foreign one. I’d think of a German family holidaying at EP, for instance, as not really being any different to a British family holidaying at Alton Towers.

Alton Towers, while perhaps not quite as prestigious as some in Europe, is a fairly sizeable resort with 3 hotels, a lodge complex and glamping pods, as well as a large indoor waterpark and a crazy golf course. I’ve never spent more than 1 night/2 days there, but if you wanted to, I’m sure you could spend a few days there; if you dedicated some time to the waterpark and Extraordinary Golf, then that would certainly fill a few days along with the park itself.

In spite of this, however, it has never been in direct competition with Disneyland Paris. I’d say that DLP is probably the most visited European theme park among Brits by a considerable margin, and I’m sure that plenty of those who go wouldn’t consider the product vaguely comparable to Alton Towers. And I think that is in large part due to that all-powerful Disney brand.

By my observation, I’d say that DLP still has far more pull within a wide range of countries across Europe than any other European theme park resort. While I’m admittedly not sure what things are like on the continent, it’s the only European theme park resort that really seems to gain much of a foothold in terms of attracting British tourists en masse. From what I know, PortAventura gets some British visitors, but I’d wager that a lot of that is to do with it being within a large scale seaside resort that caters heavily to Brits rather than because of the park itself. Even somewhere like Europa Park has a very limited reach within Britain; I remember reading somewhere that only 1% of EP’s visitors come from Britain, and I can certainly believe that based on my visit in April, where I did not encounter a single British person during my entire time over there.

Also, when talking to people in Britain about European theme parks, most people have only heard of DLP, and when other theme parks are brought up, they often seem to be shunned compared to DLP. For instance, when I first talked to my mum about European theme parks, she said about DLP, and I told her about Europa. Her first response was “Yeah, I’m sure it’s really good and all… but it’s not Disney, is it?”. Rightly or wrongly, I think that name will always have more pull than any super-duper investment at a non-Disney park.

Last edited:

Changa

Mega Poster
I would say it is absolutely within their control. They are easily at the top of the theme park world with a brand reputation so strong that they can ride off of it for years without ever needing to intervene and consider "sustaining" themselves. Though, at the moment they seem to be cashing in on as much of their reputation as they can with ludicrously expensive prices for sub-par experiences, which will only diminish the good-will they have with people that perpetuate their high standards. Eventually that could wear down to the point that their household-name status goes with it, but I reckon that it'd take quite a while before that happens.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Prior to Galaxy's Edge I'd have said Universal has already started to take over in the Orlando area, they really raised the bar with the WWOHP developments and whilst I personally mourn the loss of DD, Hagrid's is a world class addition to an already world class park.

Then Disney responded by building Galaxy's Edge.

Want to fly the Millennium Falcon? Go for it.

Want a fancy cocktail in the Moss Eisley Cantina*? Let's do it.

Want to give us $100 to build a droid? Sure thing.

Want to give us double that again to build your own Light Sabre? Step right up!

They nailed it.

*Yes I know it's not on Tatooine.