What's new

Why is Six Flags called Six Flags?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I could Google it but I thought I'd make a topic out of it, just in case anybody else has ever wondered and never bothered to Google it. And to see if somebody can Google it for me.

So, why is Six Flags called Six Flags?

jj23w

Hyper Poster
I thought it was to with at first they had a certain amount of parks in 1 country because in america they first started off with 6 hence it being called six flags. Thats what I think anyway.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
No, the chain started in Texas with over Texas, Astroworld, and Fiesta Texas. It is named after the six flags that have flown over Texas.

Fun fact, the Texas flag is only state flag that can fly at same height as American flag since they were a republic.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
^^No the correct answer was already posted.

^Right and then wrong. The first Six Flags was over Texas and then when Wayne sold the new company expanded to other markets. They shoe horned the "Six Flags over" brand in to parks like Georgia and Mid-America (St. Louis).

Every other park in the chain was acquired, not built by Six Flags. Astroworld didn't become a Six Flags park until 3 years after St. Louis was built and 6 years after Georgia.

Fiesta Texas was built by Gaylord, the same people who built Opryland in Nashville, and opened in 1992, or 31 years after over Texas did.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
rtotheizzo17 said:
Fiesta Texas was built by Gaylord
*snigger*

Anyway, thank you very much for the answer. My original thought was the six board directors were from different states or something, but now I know.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I recall a snippet on CoasterGallery bringing it up once. The name of the first park, Six Flags Over Texas was originally meant to be "Texas under six flags", with an area themed to each of the six nations who have been in control of the state. But the owner purportedly changed his mind, figuring out that Texas shouldn't really be "under" anything. So the perspective was changed, so to say, to Six Flags over Texas, which invokes the image of flags flying gloriously in the breeze, instead of Texas being thrown between rulers like a trade commodity.