What's new

Who is your favourite manufacturer of hyper coasters?

Which manufacturer builds the strongest hyper coasters?

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. With airtime becoming the new “in thing” within the last 10-15 years or so, many parks have opted for hyper coasters as a means of providing airtime. Many manufacturers build or have built hyper coasters, so my question to you today is; which manufacturer builds the strongest hyper coasters, in your opinion?

As for my answer; I can’t answer, as I wouldn’t say I’ve done a wide enough range of manufacturers or hyper coasters to conclude. In terms of “traditional” hyper coasters, I’ve done 2; 1 of them (Mako) is a B&M, and the other one (Big One at BPB) is an Arrow. For what it’s worth, I like Mako vastly, vastly more than I like the Big One, so out of B&M and Arrow, my vote currently goes to B&M, but as I say, I can’t conclude, as I haven’t done a very wide range of hyper coasters.

But which hyper coaster manufacturer is your favourite? Or should I say, which manufacturer builds the strongest hyper coasters, in your view?

Niles

Giga Poster
So it depends for me, if it’s for the strongest as in force for coasters between 200-299ft I’ll go for RMC, I’ve only done Steel Vengeance which is amazing but the the other two hypers look great to.

If it includes all “hyper style coasters” with that out and back layout with loads of airtime, if coasters like Kondaa and Expedition GeForce can be in the running then it would be Intamin for me.

If it’s coasters between 200-299ft only and “traditional” layout then I think It would be B&M.

So it depends on the constraints but I’ll go with RMC for now, sorry to be a pain.

Matt N

CF Legend
So it depends for me, if it’s for the strongest as in force for coasters between 200-299ft I’ll go for RMC, I’ve only done Steel Vengeance which is amazing but the the other two hypers look great to.

If it includes all “hyper style coasters” with that out and back layout with loads of airtime, if coasters like Kondaa and Expedition GeForce can be in the running then it would be Intamin for me.

If it’s coasters between 200-299ft only and “traditional” layout then I think It would be B&M.

So it depends on the constraints but I’ll go with RMC for now, sorry to be a pain.
No, that’s fine! In terms of the options you’ve listed, I myself was thinking of the second/middle option (“hyper style coasters”; I’ve bolded it in your post), hence why I didn’t include RMC in the initial choices as they haven’t really done anything of that ilk, but RMC is a fine choice!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Let's start by not being silly - let's remove Arrow, Giovanola, Morgan and Togo from the list. They'll never win this game. Also going to remove any non-lift-hill based coasters from this too, never really see those as "hypers" in the same way.

The answer is obviously Intamin. Just list them, and you'll see why. They're all pretty unique, intense (some more so than others) and overall great rides. Thunder Dolphin, Hyperion, Coaster Through the Clouds, Ride of Steel, Superman the Ride, Flying Aces, Skyrush. Man, what a lineup!

B&M are a close second, their hypers are fantastic, but they're also all relatively similar and none of them hugely stand out against Intamin's offering above.

Mack have built two - DC Rivals and Flash (of which they've made two clones). They look great, for sure, but nothing compared to either of the above.

Matt N

CF Legend
Let's start by not being silly - let's remove Arrow, Giovanola, Morgan and Togo from the list. They'll never win this game. Also going to remove any non-lift-hill based coasters from this too, never really see those as "hypers" in the same way.

The answer is obviously Intamin. Just list them, and you'll see why. They're all pretty unique, intense (some more so than others) and overall great rides. Thunder Dolphin, Hyperion, Coaster Through the Clouds, Ride of Steel, Superman the Ride, Flying Aces, Skyrush. Man, what a lineup!

B&M are a close second, their hypers are fantastic, but they're also all relatively similar and none of them hugely stand out against Intamin's offering above.

Mack have built two - DC Rivals and Flash (of which they've made two clones). They look great, for sure, but nothing compared to either of the above.
Of Intamin’s offering; are the likes of Thunder Dolphin, Coaster through the Clouds and Ride of Steel any good? I only ask because I’ve never heard a huge amount about CttC, and Thunder Dolphin and the two Ride of Steels seem to have drifted into obscurity a bit. I was under the impression that Intamin hypers were initially a bit more hit and miss than B&M hypers, but the company has hit their stride a bit more now, and all of their recent products have been hits.

Also, I included Arrow, Giovanola, Morgan and Togo because I’ve actually heard people say that Arrow is the strongest hyper coaster manufacturer, in their opinion (Magnum XL-200 in particular gets hyped up a lot, and many call it “the world’s best hyper coaster”), and I know many do go crazy for the grey outs and raw, relentless force of the Giovanolas. I know the Morgan hypers certainly have their fans, as well, and I’ve heard people say that Togo’s Fujiyama is “better than any B&M hyper”.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I mean, maybe I wasn't clear enough that these are my opinions. :p

Yeah, to be fair Ride of Steel (Darien Lake) is a bit turd, and I've never heard stunning things about Thunder Dolphin (other than it's location). Superman (SFNE) is great though, and I've generally heard good things about CttC from those that have ridden it. Frankly, Hyperion and Skyrush are all you'd really need to make the case for Intamin coming out on top of this list.

Magnum is great, but it doesn't hold a candle to Intamin or B&M, and the rest of the Arrow/Morgan hypers (whilst being pretty decent coasters in their own right) simply aren't in the big leagues like... at all. In 1990 maybe, but not in 2021.

Not done Fujiyama, but have a hard time believing it's actually better than the best of the B&M hypers when you take off the bonus points it gets for being a bit less basic - people will always add an extra bit of hype for a ride being a bit rarer.

Matt N

CF Legend

Yeah, to be fair Ride of Steel (Darien Lake) is a bit turd, and I've never heard stunning things about Thunder Dolphin (other than it's location). Superman (SFNE) is great though, and I've generally heard good things about CttC from those that have ridden it. Frankly, Hyperion and Skyrush are all you'd really need to make the case for Intamin coming out on top of this list.

Magnum is great, but it doesn't hold a candle to Intamin or B&M, and the rest of the Arrow/Morgan hypers (whilst being pretty decent coasters in their own right) simply aren't in the big leagues like... at all. In 1990 maybe, but not in 2021.

Not done Fujiyama, but have a hard time believing it's actually better than the best of the B&M hypers when you take off the bonus points it gets for being a bit less basic - people will always add an extra bit of hype for a ride being a bit rarer.
Of course; I’m not saying you’re not entitled to an opinion or anything, I was merely curious about those particular rides as I’ve never heard too much about them!

Besides, I don’t really think I have enough hyper coaster experience to go questioning people… given I’ve only done Big One and Mako, both of which are commonly seen as subpar airtime machines that lack airtime in comparison to many of the modern heavyweights that everyone loves, it’s safe to say I haven’t experienced “proper” airtime yet.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Lol Matt, I presume these quotes are from vlogs where the aim of the game is to come up with controversial 'unpopular' opinions to generate clicks and discussion. Don't read much into it.

In terms of hypers I've been on Shambhala, Silver Star, Dutch Goliath, Geforce, Hyperion and Flying Aces. Intamin win this hands down due to the variety and strength of ejector airtime. Geforce in particular is incredible and my favourite non RMC coaster.

Looking to coasters I haven't ridden Intamin again takes the crown. The likes of Kondaa and Skyrush are way higher on my hit list than say Mako and Behemoth.

Last edited:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. And B&M is certainly not the first to throw between Intimidator and Diamondback. All hyper manufacturers have duds, but few have as many bangers as Intamin. (which gets my vote)

Gazza

Giga Poster
Thunder Dolphin, Hyperion, Coaster Through the Clouds, Ride of Steel, Superman the Ride, Flying Aces, Skyrush. Man, what a lineup!

DC Rivals is better than all of those.

I havent ridden Flying Aces or Hyperion, but to be honest it probably is more interesting than Hyperion.
Skyrush is on another level due to the insane airtime, but on balance DCR has the better layout....Very hard to separate those two!

And its definitely better than any B&M Hyper.

Re Fujiyama, its definitley better than any arrow hyper. It's actually quite a lively ride, like it can be rough in parts, but the pacing and layout is great fun.
Id rank it above certain crap B&M hypers like Intimidator.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Tough question to answer.

I wanna go Mack because they're the clear winner on consistency (of only 2, granted). Both are amazing, primarily for me by not being very hyper-like in the first place.
Yet we're excluding RMC because they also aren't hyper-like.
Throw Intamin wing coasters into the mix alone and it's no contest. Superman and such just drag them way down for me, but to be fair they've been making them for over 20 years, not 5.

I feel like Kondaa will answer the question for me, one more snapshot of where Intamin are currently at, no more flukes.
Until that day comes, Mack.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Based off of what I've ridden, I said B&M.

In fact, besides RMCs, B&M hypers are actually my favorite coaster model, due to how consistently good they are. I think with the exception of Intimidator, everything hyper I've ridden from them are in my Top 30.

Maybe if I've done more Intamins, I'd say that, but right now I've only done Skyrush, Superman the Ride, and Superman Ride of Steel. Skyrush is obviously my favorite hyper coaster, so that's obviously a big deal. Superman SFNE is great, but I still prefer most of my B&M hypers over that. and Ride of Steel just isn't good.

Europe is definitely more desirable when it comes to Intamin hypers/megas. Stuff like Hyperion, Flying Aces, GeForce, and even Goliath and Kondaa all look real good.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
1. Intamin. Even the ones that don't rate highly are still decent rides. Stronger airtime and more variety than B&M.

2. B&M. You know what you're getting which, apart from a couple of turkeys, are excellent coasters.

I mean, that's it really isn't it?

I adore a couple of Morgan's coasters (Steel Dragon 2000 & Superman Mexico), like another couple (Steel Eel and Wild Thing) and was massively disappointed by another 2 (Mamba and Steel Force).

Arrow have one decent hyper out of the 4.

Mack have potential (Hyper Coaster and Flash are amazing), but it's too early to call and they haven't attempted a "pure" airtime-filled hyper.

Fujiyama is soooooooooo much fun and one of my favourite hypers, but it's not without its faults and Togo really can't be called a "hyper" manufacturer.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I wonder what the "Other" category is for? As far as I can tell, the options represent literally every manufacturer to have built a coaster we'd normally fit into the "hypercoaster" category. I.e. a steel coaster with a lift hill and no inversions. If there is no criterion for materials, I guess Son of Beast after its loop was removed might fit the definition, but I doubt anybody would choose Gerstlauer/RCCA as their favourite based on that one.

Oh, wait, it could be for futureproofing?

Matt N

CF Legend
I wonder what the "Other" category is for? As far as I can tell, the options represent literally every manufacturer to have built a coaster we'd normally fit into the "hypercoaster" category. I.e. a steel coaster with a lift hill and no inversions. If there is no criterion for materials, I guess Son of Beast after its loop was removed might fit the definition, but I doubt anybody would choose Gerstlauer/RCCA as their favourite based on that one.

Oh, wait, it could be for futureproofing?
To be honest, I mainly put it in as I didn’t want to get criticised for forgetting one; I wanted to take everyone’s opinions into account, so the “Other” option gives people the option to vote for a manufacturer they like that might not be there!

And yes, it is also quite helpful for future proofing; who knows what manufacturers will get into hyper coasters in the future? Vekoma? Gerstlauer? Zamperla? RMC? (I know they’ve done hyper hybrids, but I’m talking a steel hyper coaster here)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
And yes, it is also quite helpful for future proofing; who knows what manufacturers will get into hyper coasters in the future? Vekoma? Gerstlauer? Zamperla? RMC? (I know they’ve done hyper hybrids, but I’m talking a steel hyper coaster here)
Kärnan is approximately one heartline roll away from meeting the general criteria, so I wouldn't put it entirely past Gerstlauer. Vekoma also threw their hat into that ring by submitting a bid for Hyperion, but I haven't seen them participating in other Hypercoaster projects. RMC might do it too, possibly in the form of a hybrid without inversions. Zamperla would need a very large change of direction to go for a Hypercoaster.

Honestly, I think Golden Horse will be next.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Mack have potential (Hyper Coaster and Flash are amazing), but it's too early to call and they haven't attempted a "pure" airtime-filled hyper.
What about DC Rivals?
Has no inversions, big hill at the start, smaller ones at the end, plus 3 twisted hills.
I think Intamin took some of the style of this one and amped it up for Kondaa.

SkyrushSimp

Mega Poster
Hi guys. With airtime becoming the new “in thing” within the last 10-15 years or so, many parks have opted for hyper coasters as a means of providing airtime. Many manufacturers build or have built hyper coasters, so my question to you today is; which manufacturer builds the strongest hyper coasters, in your opinion?

As for my answer; I can’t answer, as I wouldn’t say I’ve done a wide enough range of manufacturers or hyper coasters to conclude. In terms of “traditional” hyper coasters, I’ve done 2; 1 of them (Mako) is a B&M, and the other one (Big One at BPB) is an Arrow. For what it’s worth, I like Mako vastly, vastly more than I like the Big One, so out of B&M and Arrow, my vote currently goes to B&M, but as I say, I can’t conclude, as I haven’t done a very wide range of hyper coasters.

But which hyper coaster manufacturer is your favourite? Or should I say, which manufacturer builds the strongest hyper coasters, in your view?
I gotta go with Intamin.

Their quality is good and each coaster focuses on something different.

Skyrush, Kondaa, Superman, Ride of Steel, each one is different. B&M just seems like the same thing every time. Outside of Superman El Utimo Escape, Morgan is underwhelming. I haven't ridden a Mack Hyper yet, nor have I ridden a Togo. Arrow is just ok, and I don't consider RMC Hyper-Hybrids as true hypers.