What's new

Which Jack Rabbit is older?

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
So I'm doing a research paper about the 10 oldest operating coasters in the world. According to RCDB The Jack Rabbit at Kennywood opened first but that contradicts all of the other information I've seen or heard saying it was the Jack Rabbit at Seabreeze that opened first. I need accurate information so if someone could let me know and provide a link with the opening date for the Seabreeze version or both that could really help me out.

Thanks

Intricks

Strata Poster
What does Wikipedia say? Id always thought it was Kennywoods, but that could be false...

Edit: Kennywoods opened on June 18th, 1920;however, according to Wikipedia, the seabreeze one is the oldest continuous operating coaster. I dont believe Kennywoods Jack Rabbit closed at any point during its operation.

Take it for what you will.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Rcdb also says of the Seabreeze coaster:

The Jack Rabbit was part of an August 1923 fire that destroyed the Old Mill, Hilarity Hall and a dance hall, called Dreamland. The Jack Rabbit and the Old Mill were rebuilt.

If it was rebuilt after 1923, then it hasn't been continuously operating for as long as Kennywood's.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
gavin said:
^Rcdb also says of the Seabreeze coaster:

The Jack Rabbit was part of an August 1923 fire that destroyed the Old Mill, Hilarity Hall and a dance hall, called Dreamland. The Jack Rabbit and the Old Mill were rebuilt.

If it was rebuilt after 1923, then it hasn't been continuously operating for as long as Kennywood's.

Actually it has. it burned down at the end of the 1923 season and was rebuilt and opened normallyat the start of the 1924 season. thtats continuously operating

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yes, since 1924 then, while Kennywood's has been continuously operating since 1920.

It can't be "continuously" operating very well if it was burnt down and rebuilt.

BBH

Giga Poster
It's still not continuously operating because I doubt they could build something in the dead of winter that lasted this long back in the mid-20s.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
But if it was essentially replaced in the winter of 1923, surely it's not been operating 'continuously' for as long?

It's a bit like those old churches you find in Europe, they often say things like "there has been a church on this site for past 900 years" followed by "the current church was finished in 1801". The church is really only ~200 years old, because the previous one burnt down and was rebuilt.

Surely it's the same here?

Intricks

Strata Poster
Does anyone know if it were the entire ride, or just a major portion?

I can see them getting away with continuous operation if a portion of the original was left. It wasnt like they waited years to rebuild ot, but just over the off season.