What's new

Which Director Would You Love to Design a Ride

nadroJ

CF Legend
I just finished watching Crimson Peak by Guillermo del Toro and can't stop thinking how amazing a haunted house designed by this guy would be. And it got me thinking about if other directors were to design rides. what would they be. Go!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Anyone at Pixar would make rides so good, they'd make everyone cry.

If anyone in the movie industry could help in ride projects, John Williams would be the IMAScore of music. Now that I think about it, a John Williams-IMAScore collab would be the best thing ever.

peep

CF Legend
nadroJ said:
I just finished watching Crimson Peak by Guillermo del Toro and can't stop thinking how amazing a haunted house designed by this guy would be. And it got me thinking about if other directors were to design rides. what would they be. Go!
Well he was involved with the design of the Crimson Peak maze at Universal Hollywood for Horror Nights. It's why it looked exactly like the film. Attention to detail was incredible.

Peter Jackson was involved with Kong 360 and I'm sure Speilberg was involved in the Jurassic Park ride. Oh and obviously James Cameron was involved with Terminator 2:3D (still best 3D I've seen) and the new Avatar land.

As for a new thing, hmm, I'd love to see Tim Burton create something really gothic and cool, like a whole land to explore.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

BigBad

Mega Poster
peep said:
As for a new thing, hmm, I'd love to see Tim Burton create something really gothic and cool, like a whole land to explore.
Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice!

He's definitely a weirdo and would make an awesome set for a ride, and I would want that ride to be themed to Beetlejuice!

I don't see a big roller coaster working for this, but maybe a smaller ride like a log flume could work. In fact, a river is quite important in that movie.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
JJ Abrams to do a Star Trek, Cloverfield, Mission Impossible, Star Trek, Lost crossover.

Lofty

CF Legend
peep said:
nadroJ said:
Well he was involved with the design of the Crimson Peak maze at Universal Hollywood for Horror Nights. It's why it looked exactly like the film. Attention to detail was incredible.
I know someone who worked on that attraction in the design field and Guillermo didn't have as much input as you'd think - he had creative sway when it come to certain bits and bobs, but not a lot.

Tim Burton or Guillermo Del Toro. They're my favourite directors without a shadow of a doubt. I suppose some smart arse will comment saying "But they do the Haunted Mansion Holiday at Disneyland", but, I'm referring to a ride dedicated to just one of his IP's.

Ben

CF Legend
David Lynch should do an Accelerator themed to Lost Highway.

Or a Twin Peaks woodie <3

Or a Del Toro dark ride would be great.

Shirofukurou

Mega Poster
Wes Anderson, full stop.

His recent movies, like Grand Budapest Hotel and Fantastic Mr Fox, have shown that his visual and production style can build beautiful, whimsical worlds with great characters. He would be perfectly suited to designing an original dark ride if he wanted.

A year or so ago he said he wanted to design an entire theme park with the singer of Devo:
http://time.com/3556593/wes-anderson-mark-mothersbaugh-theme-park/

Am I dreaming right now???

spicy

Giga Poster
Pretty sure E.T. was Spielberg's work.

Agreed about Terminator 2:3D, I'd say that's the best Director designed as it's almost the "real" Terminator 3 as Cameron hasn't been involved since T:2, which is why they have never been no where near as good..

Other than that, I'd imagine a Quentin Tarantino dark ride would be pretty intense and very gory. Would be very interesting to see what he would do.

My ultimate would be a Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings area and ride though. It's almost a crime that Middle Earth hasn't made it's way into a theme park somewhere. It could be so amazing, if only the Tolkien family weren't so damned protective of the IP :lol:

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Guilermo is a great choice, but I would go for a Sam Rami ghost train style attraction. His comedic horror stylings would make for something quite unique and it would be really enjoyable. Wouldn't be appropriate for a younger audience though.

Dave

CF Legend
Edgar Wright to do a dark ride shoot em up ride. It would be a lot of fun! Imagine a Hot Fuzz or Shaun of the Dead style one? Be full of references.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Stanley Kubrick (if he was alive) would of made a fantastic dark ride. Probably a blend of crazy set designs, brilliant lighting and soundtrack with a traditional touch.

On the other hand, an Alfred Hitchcock scare attraction would be second to none.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Howie said:
Ridley Scott to do an Alien themed dark ride.
Nuff said.

This got me really thinking about this topic, and the below clinched it for me...

Sandman said:
On the other hand, an Alfred Hitchcock scare attraction would be second to none.

The problem is that I think so few directors actually have that much input into what happens.

Let's take Alien for example. It's my favourite film and a blinding piece of suspense horror. However, the entire look of the film is down to H.R. Giger. Scott's brilliant pacing, gorgeous camera pans, etc. wouldn't translate into a ride without the assistance of a H.R. Giger there.

Hitchcock is another prime example. Psycho was absolutely panned on first viewing. It needed heavy editing to make it work. It was a dismal mess and the success of the film was all down to the final edit - which was a desperate stab (haha) at trying to get anything resembling even a mediocre film out of the footage.

What I'm saying is that there is so much more to a film's creation than the director. They tend to rely on so many other people to actually create their vision. There are definitely exceptions - and Del Toro and Burton are very heavily involved in the nitty gritty creation of the actual worlds they want to go on screen - they're not overly common though.

It's kind of like saying that because John Wardley produced a couple of amazing ghost trains and Nemesis, he should be put in charge of directing a film. The disciplines are similar, but in reality far apart.

Anyone remember Nightbreed? The film directed by the fantastic author Clive Barker and starring the brilliant director David Cronenberg? No? That's because it was **** - don't mix disciplines ;)

Sandman

Giga Poster
furie said:
Howie said:
Ridley Scott to do an Alien themed dark ride.
Nuff said.

This got me really thinking about this topic, and the below clinched it for me...

Sandman said:

The problem is that I think so few directors actually have that much input into what happens.

Let's take Alien for example. It's my favourite film and a blinding piece of suspense horror. However, the entire look of the film is down to H.R. Giger. Scott's brilliant pacing, gorgeous camera pans, etc. wouldn't translate into a ride without the assistance of a H.R. Giger there.

Hitchcock is another prime example. Psycho was absolutely panned on first viewing. It needed heavy editing to make it work. It was a dismal mess and the success of the film was all down to the final edit - which was a desperate stab (haha) at trying to get anything resembling even a mediocre film out of the footage.

What I'm saying is that there is so much more to a film's creation than the director. They tend to rely on so many other people to actually create their vision. There are definitely exceptions - and Del Toro and Burton are very heavily involved in the nitty gritty creation of the actual worlds they want to go on screen - they're not overly common though.

It's kind of like saying that because John Wardley produced a couple of amazing ghost trains and Nemesis, he should be put in charge of directing a film. The disciplines are similar, but in reality far apart.

Anyone remember Nightbreed? The film directed by the fantastic author Clive Barker and starring the brilliant director David Cronenberg? No? That's because it was **** - don't mix disciplines ;)

I just assumed it was more a hypothetical situation over the technicalities of the scenario :p

That said, the director is the driving force behind many film productions (I named Kubrick and Hitchcock because they were auteurs, and had a lot of creative control over their projects) so I think they symbolise a creative team behind such works of art. That said, a lot of directors are merely puppets on the string of the big producers!

Sandman

Giga Poster
CanobieFan said:
Sandman said:

Alfred Hitchcock had an attraction at Universal Studios Florida in the 90's (was removed for Sherk) it was a 3D movie / live actor show.. thing. A quick Google search pulled up this - http://www.moviemassacre.com/blog/the-e ... ida-part-1 we went as a family back in 1995 and I remember it being there... but not much else.

But he never had any creative influence over the attraction, which is why I'd be pretty intruiged by an Alfred Hitchcock created ride experience :p

DelPiero

Strata Poster
CanobieFan said:
Sandman said:

Alfred Hitchcock had an attraction at Universal Studios Florida in the 90's (was removed for Sherk) it was a 3D movie / live actor show.. thing. A quick Google search pulled up this - http://www.moviemassacre.com/blog/the-e ... ida-part-1 we went as a family back in 1995 and I remember it being there... but not much else.
I did that back in '94, it was similar to disaster, in that they grabbed the public to be involved. My friends dad ended up being Norman Bates.