What's new

Which city/region needs a theme park?

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Pretty self-explanatory. Which major city or broader region of the world needs a major theme park? If you want to get really creative, who should own it?

I'll start:

*Lake Placid, NY- It's close to Great Escape but Great Escape is pretty small and I feel like a bigger park building on the rustic ambiance and mountainous landscape could do well there. I actually did a Herschend park set there in RCT3 and I had a ton of good ideas. There was a launched Eurofighter themed to ore mining, a terrain B&M flyer, typical Herschend S&S Screamin' Swing in a barn, and it never made it into the park but a new gen B&M standup themed to skiing called Double Black or Black Diamond. Cedar Fair could also do a KBF-esque park there.
*Arizona/New Mexico- The area is pretty arid but I still think it could have a successful park with the right infrastructure. Plenty of shade and readily available water could be all they need to combat the desert climate. And I'm sure there's room for a large-scale park somewhere in these two states.
*Las Vegas- I went to Vegas back in May and I honestly think that they should be able to do better than Adventuredome. It seemed really dated and run down and with the amount of traffic in the area I'm surprised it doesn't have a bigger amusement industry. Driving out of town to SFMM with my cousin and her husband we actually drove past some desert and were discussing what kind of rides would be cool there. There are mountains around town that might allow for some unique terrain action without having the challenges of building a park on uneven terrain. On this note, I think Reno could use one too. The Reno/Tahoe area gets a lot of traffic and people already drive into Reno from Tahoe to gamble, might as well throw a park in to cater to families too.
*Qatar- Qatar already has the 2020 World Cup, is bidding for the 2024 Olympics, and is the richest nation in the world. I see no reason why this country can't have a theme park, especially with it being on the world stage like it is. They obviously have the money to pull off something special, I'd love to see them add something to the Middle East's growing industry.
*Charleston, South Carolina- Charleston is a gorgeous city filled with old southern architecture and quite a few surrounding beach communities. There are a few uninhabited barrier islands around town that could possibly be home to a coastal park. A B&M invert that goes over one of their signature salt marshes would be great.
*Mackinaw City-St. Ignace, Michigan- The Mackinac Strait area is a relatively small tourist area but I think with Cedar Point's success they could pull off a good regional park. There is an uninhabited island near the Mackinaw Bridge that I noticed on Google Maps, maybe it could go there?
*Dayton, Ohio- Hey, I can dream, can't I? :p

So yeah, post away. I'd love to hear about other areas that could host good parks. :)

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
The American North West. I don't care if it's Denver Colorado or Missoula Montana, this NEEDS a good park. I actually am building one in RCT3, including an Arrow 4-inverter, an Arrow Mine Train, and a PTC woodie. I don't care if it's a CF or SF park, this area NEEDS. A. BIG. PARK!!!!!1!!!!!!1!1!one

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Denver technically has two, Elitch is **** though.

Houston needs one desperately. One of fastest growing cities for past decade, and yeah they are allegedly getting the Grand Texas thing or whatever it's called, but they need something massive.

Seattle/Vancouver area could use one as well. Put it near border and bam!

Pheonix would be good, but 120 degrees in summer outside is unbearable, so it'd probably need to be indoor, or at least all queues indoor.

BBH

Giga Poster
Chicago needs something like Riverview Park again. Something big with a huge amount and variety of coasters in the heart of the city that will attract tons of visitors. Sure, there's Great America, but that's halfway up to Milwaukee, and it's out of the price range for a lot of people. Barring traffic and tolls it isn't expensive to travel to Chicago from the suburbs, and a well done theme park could flourish. After all, look at how well Navy Pier has done for itself.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Or just expand Navy Pier. I've been there numerous times, and I think they could extend the pier and pull off a Boardwalk park, with lots of coasters that go over the water. Then again, they have waay too many boat tours... I guess they could make another one. :lol:

I think a good spot is on the way to MSI. The place is phenomenal, making science actually fun. I mean, who does'nt want to go somewhere with a Boeing 727, a U-505 Submarine, the Pioneer Zephyr, and an entire toy factory under one roof? It's a major tourist hotspot. And if I'm not mistaken, one of the beaches on Lake Michigan was named one of the best, right? So a boardwalk park there could bring in tons of crowds.

BBH

Giga Poster
GuyWithAStick said:
Or just expand Navy Pier. I've been there numerous times, and I think they could extend the pier and pull off a Boardwalk park, with lots of coasters that go over the water. Then again, they have waay too many boat tours... I guess they could make another one. :lol:

I think a good spot is on the way to MSI. The place is phenomenal, making science actually fun. I mean, who does'nt want to go somewhere with a Boeing 727, a U-505 Submarine, the Pioneer Zephyr, and an entire toy factory under one roof? It's a major tourist hotspot. And if I'm not mistaken, one of the beaches on Lake Michigan was named one of the best, right? So a boardwalk park there could bring in tons of crowds.

There were plans a few years back to expand Navy Pier's amusement boardwalk section to include a roller coaster, a new Ferris wheel, and a monorail, among other things, but the plan was abandoned for the new college arena and to keep Navy Pier as a cultural landmark destination, not an amusement park.

I do think that somewhere between the Museum Campus and MSI would be a great place for a boardwalk park. Obviously Lake Shore Drive doesn't need more traffic because it's basically the only way to get to anything outside of the Loop, but the city could finally invest in some alternate routes.

Jarrett

tomahawk said:
Put it ON the border, build a ferry to connect the two halves! Call it Passport Park! Featuring Border Patrol: The Ride! :p

Actually, a Canada-themed park similar to the way Ocean Kingdom is done would be great. Ever since the Vancouver Olympics I've been obsessed with everything Canadian. They could build a coaster like Pony Express themed to the Mounties, a drop tower made to look like a totem pole, a lot of possibilities with this one!

Nashville needs one too. I was 3 at max when I went to Opryland and I'm crushed it closed. Maybe Hard Rock Cafe could have gotten into the business early, bought Opryland and save it? It's Music City we're talking about here, even if it's more country than rock.

TilenB

Strata Poster
*Eastern part of Central Europe (Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Slovenia, also Austria) - after Vidampark's closure (which wasn't really a major park by any means) there is practically nothing to speak of in that part of Europe.

*Whole of the Southeastern Europe - apart from some random city and coastal parks with a Wacky Worm and occasional Cyclone there is also a blank space theme park wise. There were some talks of a semi-major park in Romania with 3 Fabbri coasters, but those rumours have apparently disappeared with the wind.

*Baltic states - there's a small park in Lithuania that operates a Schwarzkopf Jet Star (which, I believe has already been SBNO for over a year), but if discount that, there is also a complete blank space.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Ireland - they're working on it.

Also, I agree with TilySlo on Eastern Europe. Budapest could really do with something else now. Or the Czech Republic near Prauge or northern/central Croatia. There's lots of potential in that area.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
2012Jarrett said:
tomahawk said:
Put it ON the border, build a ferry to connect the two halves! Call it Passport Park! Featuring Border Patrol: The Ride! :p

Actually, a Canada-themed park similar to the way Ocean Kingdom is done would be great. Ever since the Vancouver Olympics I've been obsessed with everything Canadian. They could build a coaster like Pony Express themed to the Mounties, a drop tower made to look like a totem pole, a lot of possibilities with this one!

- Timmy Horton's is only food option
- no drinks, just maple syrup
- Everything has gravy
- Instead of saying hello, staff is required to say Sawry
- Transportation is Moose

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
And a Dark Shooter where you must shoot all of the Crack Rob Ford has! :lol:

And a coaster themed to Maple Leaves!

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
ATTACKHAMMER said:
It would be awesome if somewhere close to Cambridge got one as I live there!

I'll second that! Living on the Cambridge Essex border, it's over an hour's drive to reach Thorpe, which is loosely my 'home park'. I spied a Go-gator on Parker's Piece once, but that's quite literally the extent of Cambridgeshire's coasters. Essex only really has Adventure Island, which is doubtful as a 'theme park'....I shall just have to pray to the coaster gods in vain.

tribar

Mega Poster
GuyWithAStick said:

And a riot themed ride!

Jarrett

tribar said:
GuyWithAStick said:

And a riot themed ride!
Gah, I was ABOUT to post about my idea for a dark shooter where you ride in a little cop car and stun rioters in hockey jerseys armed with hockey sticks! Beat me to it!

And a Herschend-esque bakery that makes donut holes fresh. And no soft drinks, just milk in a bag. And an out-and-back woodie called Border Dash that runs thrown a narrow clearing in a wooded area with little stone markers dotting the layout. And the deadmau5-themed Maurer X-Coaster I made in NoLimits all those years back. And another coaster with a train themed to a school bus themed to that town where you have to cross international borders twice to get to the school. And a musical on ice rendition of the US-Canada game from the 2014 Olympics called Loser Keeps Bieber! And an on-site Molson brewery!

The fact that I'm doing Canada's Wonderland in a few weeks just made this thread even more amazing. :p

Back on topic;
*Hawaii- It gets a lot of tourism and the beautiful landscape could allow for something special.
*Cancun- It seemed to be absolutely booming and Isla Mujeres is growing like crazy, I could see this being the home of Mexico's newest major park.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
CoasterCrazy said:
ATTACKHAMMER said:
It would be awesome if somewhere close to Cambridge got one as I live there!

I'll second that! Living on the Cambridge Essex border, it's over an hour's drive to reach Thorpe, which is loosely my 'home park'. I spied a Go-gator on Parker's Piece once, but that's quite literally the extent of Cambridgeshire's coasters. Essex only really has Adventure Island, which is doubtful as a 'theme park'....I shall just have to pray to the coaster gods in vain.

Exactly! I have that Go-gator! I think one could be built around the Cambridgeshire area even if it was on fenland such as near March.