What's new

When the queue is better than the ride...

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Sometimes, if you're lucky, theme parks go all out and create beautifully themed queue lines. But is it just a good way to polish a turd coaster?

Here a few culprits of this:

Express: Platform 13 at Walibi Holland. The long queue line begins fairly bright, but gradually gets darker and creepier as you approach the ride. It really does feel like you are descending into a derelict train station - rubble, holes in the walls, general debris everywhere. In the ride station, you wait in a dark room behind train doors before boarding. It's such a great touch.
The coaster is just a crappy Vekoma launch - full of headbashing and mediocrity. But I re-rode it just to walk through the fab queue for a second time.

Wodan at Europa Park. There's fire on the water!! Giant statues of Norse mythological Gods! Stunning indoor sections, all blue and icy - perfect for the theme of the ride. My fave bit is where you are waiting in the underground indoor queue and a train passes above, so the stones in the walls around you do shaking effect - genius! The coaster though? A very average, slightly rough GCI. Nothing to write home about at all.

Sky Scream at Holiday Park. The horror-themed queue for this could be a stand alone attraction in itself. It has perfectly timed jump scares, really gory animatronics and a well-fitting soundtrack. Ceiling, floor, and all along the walls - the scares come from every direction, they left no space untouched! Walking through this queue was way more exhilarating than riding the vile Sky Rocket coaster itself - it was the exact opposite of the queue: boring and bland.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Probably The Dark Knight Coaster. It has a decent preshow, it has a thing where it turns your face into a clown mask, there's terminals that were vandalized by Joker, and the pre-ride announcements make the slightest effort to sound like a subway announcement. Alright queue for a coaster near the bottom of my list.

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
GuyWithAStick said:
Probably The Dark Knight Coaster. It has a decent preshow, it has a thing where it turns your face into a clown mask, there's terminals that were vandalized by Joker, and the pre-ride announcements make the slightest effort to sound like a subway announcement. Alright queue for a coaster near the bottom of my list.
Yep. What he said.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Other than the pre show, which I didn't really care for, I don't remember a thing from the queue of the Dark Knight coaster (which meant there probably wasn't anything interesting therefore it was forgettable).

Based on what I've ridden, I can't really think of any queue that was better than the ride. Maybe Saw comes close? Some decent/amusing death theming and environments around the queue, but I wouldn't say it's exactly better than the ride itself (which is quite average imo).

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Gotta give this to Jaguar at KBF. You walk through a dark, dank Aztec temple complete with decorations and statues and outdoor theming. And what's at the end? A somewhat rattle family coaster that goes on way longer than it needs to.

Batman clones are serious offenders here as well. Cool theming leading up to the ride, pretty average and generic B&Ms that don't do much at the end.

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Jarrett said:
Batman clones are serious offenders here as well. Cool theming leading up to the ride, pretty average and generic B&Ms that don't do much at the end.
I have to respectably disagree with you on this one. BTR clones are fab! But to each their own.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I'm tempted to put Expedition Everest on here. Yes, the coaster is good too, but the queue is a work of art. My aunt, who doesn't like thrill rides, was curious enough about it to go through the queue with the rest of us just to see what it was all about. There's even a full-fledged museum in there. Easily the best queue I've ever experienced.

Lucy

Hyper Poster
Serena said:
Sometimes, if you're lucky, theme parks go all out and create beautifully themed queue lines. But is it just a good way to polish a turd coaster?

Wodan at Europa Park. There's fire on the water!! Giant statues of Norse mythological Gods! Stunning indoor sections, all blue and icy - perfect for the theme of the ride. My fave bit is where you are waiting in the underground indoor queue and a train passes above, so the stones in the walls around you do shaking effect - genius! The coaster though? A very average, slightly rough GCI. Nothing to write home about at all.

Personally, I love both Wodan and its queue but it's all down to preferences :D

Not exactly all of the queue, but the interior parts of Saw at Thorpe Park is really nicely themed but the ride itself as many of us know, is pretty rough (shame as when it first opened, it was lovely and smooth :) )

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I thought Efteling's Flying Dutchman had the most wonderful exterior, an interesting queue and a gorgeous station. Don't get me wrong, I thought the indoor part was great but short and it all goes down hill once you hit the lift hill with a sudden jolt.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
"and it all goes down hill once you hit the lift hill with a sudden jolt."

Actually - it goes up hill a bit first..... ;)

have to admit though - the rest of the ride is totally turd!

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
The absolute worst offender for me was Sea Odyssey at Port Aventura.

It's in such a well-themed part of the park, and the queue takes you down all these atmospheric corridors giving the impression that you're about to embark on some amazing dark ride.

Then it ends up just being a really crap simulator - literally the worst, most unconvincing simulator-type ride I've ever been on.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I can think of a number of great queues, but rarely one where the queue is better than the ride. Favorite queue in general would probably be Dinosaur, Tower of Terror, and Star Wars.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
GuyWithAStick said:

I agree. Its a decent line but was really not worth it for this kind of ride.

KingOfI305

Roller Poster
Jarrett said:
Gotta give this to Jaguar at KBF. You walk through a dark, dank Aztec temple complete with decorations and statues and outdoor theming. And what's at the end? A somewhat rattle family coaster that goes on way longer than it needs to.

I've enjoyed the batman clones to be honest - it's a personal preference. I LOVED the reverse batmans.

Imagineer Josh

Mega Poster
GuyWithAStick said:

I really do agree with this.

Dar

Hyper Poster
Battle Galleons at Alton Towers has a great, well themed, extensive queue for a ride that barely gets a queue

Hutch

Strata Poster
Oh I got one! What about Hex at Alton Towers? I loved the theming/queue/preshow but the ride was meh (concept was interesting though).