What's new

What was the coaster that helped you brave your fears, and what were they?

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Hey CoasterFORCE, I was wondering what that "first big step into coasters" for you all was. That one ride which helped you brave your fears and begin to truly enjoy other daunting roller coasters, one that you will forever remain at least somewhat sentimental and nostalgic towards.

I'll start: Mine was Kumba at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay. On a typically sunny Florida day in February 2015, I braved my fear of inversions and I felt extremely brave once I got off of it. I had a new zest to learn about and ride more roller coasters, which is why I'd visit Six Flags Over Georgia for the first time the very next month.

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
For me it was Furius Baco.
I was about 9 and i was determined to ride all the big rides at Portaventura. If you've been to PA you'll know that Furius Baco from off-ride looks pretty tame due to it not being very tall and it glides pretty gracefully over the last turn, holy crap are looks deceiving..

At the time i was unaware it launched at 80 miles per hour and after riding it i was pretty confident on any other coaster because not many rides are as brutal or intense as Baco. Every other ride (even Nemesis) felt completely easy after that, kinda glad in a way i just went on Baco without really knowing what i was signing myself up to.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Those of us of a certain <cough> 'vintage' will probably tell you, once you conquered your fear of Oblivion, everything after that has been a piece of piss. The only 2 coasters since then where I genuinely felt scared rather than excited were X2 and Kingda Ka, but neither were as completely terrifying as those first few rides on Oblivion.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Because they are not my cup of tea old chap.

You mis-read. That is why you need to do one. You say you miss being scared of rides, and yet you refuse to do starflyers cos they're scary.
Do it, bruv, you'll thank me. Honest. ;)

DelPiero

Strata Poster
You mis-read. That is why you need to do one. You say you miss being scared of rides, and yet you refuse to do starflyers cos they're scary.
Do it, bruv, you'll thank me. Honest. ;)
Not because it's scary dawg, because there's nothing thrilling about a roundabout swing ?
Screaming Swings are badass, make a starflyer do that and I'll be on it like a shot ?

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
I'm more scared I won't get any sleep because @Howie snores like a tranquilized hog.
I have experienced this. And it is more terrifying than any coaster :D

I rode Wild Mouse at BPB when I was 7 and Corkscrew at Alton not long after, so I've never really been scared of coasters. I did have a bit of a wobble the first time I rode Shambhala due to the clamshells being the only thing between me and a 250ft plummet, but I soon got over it. The scariest ride I've done is probably Falcon's Fury.

.Ac.

Mega Poster
Not a coaster but similar experience.

Falcon fury at BGT is about only ride i have questioned before getting on.

Shouldnt of worried as it is ace.

Alex B

Mega Poster
Not a notable one but admittedly steel force @dorney was my first real thrill ride when I was 8 now I’m 13 and an official enthusiast

Peet

Giga Poster
Corkscrew helped me on my way in 2001/2, but it was Oblivion in 2003 that was my big moment of overcoming fear of big rides.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Not a coaster but similar experience.

Falcon fury at BGT is about only ride i have questioned before getting on.

Shouldnt of worried as it is ace.
I have yet to brave Falcon's Fury! Drop towers have always scared me more than roller coasters ever have, with my first drop tower (Tower of Terror) scaring me very much after I took that initial ride. Drop Zone at Carowinds came next, followed by Drop Line at Dollywood and most recently Slingshot at Family Kingdom. I rode all 3 of these in 2017, and to be honest Drop Line was the scariest. It's not their height, but rather not knowing when you're going to fall is truly what makes me fear drop towers as a whole.