What's new

What parks could Six Flags acquire in the future?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Sorry if there's already a thread like this, but I seem to remember that when Six Flags purchased Waterworld Concord last year and then Darien Lake and co this year, they said that it was part of a strategy to acquire more parks. So; what parks do you guys reckon Six Flags could potentially acquire in the near future?

I could personally see Six Flags reaqcuiring some of their lost properties from the 2000s and some of the other properties operated by the firm who operated Darien Lake, such as Elitch Gardens, Magic Springs & Crystal Falls (I think?) and Wild Waves.

Also, I could potentially even see Six Flags delve into Europe again, as both the company and the European theme park industry have changed quite a bit since Six Flags last operated parks in Europe. I can easily see them purchasing places like Movie Park Germany, Parque Warner Madrid, Bobbejaanland, Mirabilandia (so essentially most of Parques Reunidos' European properties.), Terra Mitica or maybe even a UK park. I could personally see Thorpe Park fitting in to Six Flags' crop of theme parks quite well if Merlin would be willing to sell.

Furthermore, I'm quite surprised that Six Flags does not operate a theme park in Central Florida. A Six Flags in Florida could easily be one of the company's flagships in terms of visitor numbers; right up there with SFMM, SFGAdv and SFGAm. Even though Six Flags may not be Disney or Universal, I can easily see them being a very popular and an arguably more budget conscious option for Florida theme park goers. As such, I could potentially see them acquiring Busch Gardens Tampa. Six Flags does operate animal parks, and I believe that Six Flags even tried to buy the SeaWorld company around 5 years ago, so I'd personally say it's plausible.

So, where could you guys potentially see Six Flags acquiring over the next few years?

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Actually reminds me that Six Flags used to own parks in France, which is weird to think.

Not really answering your question, but honestly I wonder if expanding would be that much of a good strategy for Six Flags. I'm not very educated on the subject, but does SF have the funds to carry such agressive buy-out expansion and then investing in new parks?

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
I don’t think they will expand into Europe anytime soon, but the other parks you mentioned possibly in a few years.
I know they tried to open a park in Florida, you can find concept art somewhere but I don’t have a link. I don’t remember why it failed, maybe they couldn’t purchase enough land? Someone back me up here.

Edward M

Strata Poster
I know they tried to open a park in Florida, you can find concept art somewhere but I don’t have a link. I don’t remember why it failed, maybe they couldn’t purchase enough land? Someone back me up here.

I looked it up, and I can't find anything about a theme park in Florida. However, there was a water park in Southern Florida called Six Flags Atlantis that was open from 1982 to 1992. *shrugs*

As for the question, there's really no way to know. It all depends on if the parks they just bought do well or improve attendance. With Six Flags' aversion to investing large in its smaller park (SFStL, La Ronde, Great Escape), it may be a while until that happens. I dunno

tomahawk

Strata Poster
It's going to be expansion East...China and Dubai. Parks that are just using the Six Flags brand name and financed by local companies. That's what's going to occur.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

YUNG_CHOPPA

Mega Poster
They could buy Silverwood Theme Park or do a deal like they did with Frontier City. Silverwood's the biggest park in the northwest US, people already go there from long distance & it's only about 1 hour away from Spokane, WA & literally down the street from the RMC headquarters. It'd be a better investment than Frontier City was...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I looked it up, and I can't find anything about a theme park in Florida. However, there was a water park in Southern Florida called Six Flags Atlantis that was open from 1982 to 1992. *shrugs*

Six Flags Florida is the rumour that will never die. From what i remember there was many years ago someone in Jacksonville I think who offered SF land and they turned it down.

However the problem with an SF in central Florida is it probably wouldn't work. to compete with Disney and Universal you would need one hell of a coaster park. Say SFoG or SFoT level if not SFMM level. and parks like that don't open from scratch they take years to build. especially on the kind of budgets we are talking about with SF.
IOA cost somewhere around a billion dollars right? that's a lot of money and when IOA opened people complained it didn't have enough rides.

The Florida thrill park concept was a project similar to what an SF Florida would have to be. And that went just as well haha.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Honestly, I hope they don't acquire any more parks. They have enough on their plate already and judging by lthe investments they have been doing on their properties across America, they are not in a position to really spend a lot of money, let alone fund a new park and fill it with substantial new rides.

Europe seemed the right choice at one point, yet they didn't take into account the way Europeans like their parks: it's not so much about the biggest and baddest coasters all the time, but a good balance of rides and shows and to include some nice landscaping.

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
PLease don't take Busch Gardens Tampa, they will drive the place into the ground
Montu - Batman the Ride
Kumba - Bizarro
Cheetah Hunt - Maxx Force
Sheikra - Goliath
Cobra's Curse - Pandemonium
Sand Serpent - Wild Mouse
Scorpion - Scrapped