What's new

What park do you think has the best theming/decoration?

TLARides

Hyper Poster
Alton Towers seems to do a great job with ride theming. I like the theming on The Smiler, Rita, and Th13teen. In terms of decoration, I can't really tell. Kings Island does well with leaving lots of trees in the area. But then again, they've still got tons of land to use. Either they haven't realized that yet or they've been making a huge plan for something to fill in space.

How about you guys?

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Yeah. Purely focussing on man-made theming, Phantasialand wins this one from the parks I've visited. I can imagine Tokyo DisneySea being up there too.

mouse

Giga Poster
Yeah definitely Phantasialand. Although parks such as Alton do have some good quality theming, its the density and immersion of Phantasialand's that make it world class.

Lofty

CF Legend
I feel that Universal and Disney are sort of in a league of their own - so, Ignoring both of those... Phantasialand. Easily.

Every single area (minus the entrance) has absolutely stunning theming.

Jake

Strata Poster
All the good stuff at Alton is really old, back in the days when they used the real rocks etc. I find all the new stuff quite tacky and cheap, especially Dark Forest eugh.

Personal fave is Phantasialand, but Lotte World also deserves a mention (on the rides themselves). Obviously Disney and Universal too.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Disney Sea probably has the one best example of theming in its volcano area. I was physically speechless on walking in there, photos just don't do it justice. The rocks and the sounds just surround you on all sides. Amazing. And the rest of the park is excellent too - the liner, splash mountain, the Arabian area, the fab little town hall/church area. But the exception that lets it down for me is the Toy Story midway area. I hate Toy Story anyway but, why is it there?! In this otherwise beautiful non-ip park *grumble, grumble*. Plus the whole generic American town area by the entrance is just boring.

So my award goes to Phantasialand because there isn't one part of the park that isn't themed. No drainpipe, nor stone, nor bush has been planted without thought and care. It's odd because I usually prefer 'magical' or 'gothic' themes to just 'countries' but it is so well done that I just can't help but be absorbed. And it's all so cheery and upbeat. No one comes off Chiapas without a big smile on their face - the rave in a cave is just so fun. And as for the new Klugheim area - it's just beautiful. Like jaw-droppingly beautiful. Aww I can't wait to get back there.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Another vote here for Phantasialand - so immersive and inventive! I went there and to PortAventura this year and both parks showed me just how **** the theming is at Alton Towers and any other UK park...

From what I've seen on videos the Florida Universal and Disney parks are in a different league though.

The theming in the Disney parks is obviously amazing but Disney Sea is in a league by itself. There's not an inch in that park where you don't feel like you're immersed in whatever atmosphere they're trying to convey. The volcano area stands out the most for me, as Sue said. I do have to disagree with Universal having the best theming though; obviously the rides are immaculately done but I don't find a lot of areas in the park to be spectacular. Don't get me wrong, some parts are beautiful but then there are some areas that don't blow me away.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Disney Sea probably has the one best example of theming in its volcano area. I was physically speechless on walking in there, photos just don't do it justice. The rocks and the sounds just surround you on all sides. Amazing. And the rest of the park is excellent too - the liner, splash mountain, the Arabian area, the fab little town hall/church area. But the exception that lets it down for me is the Toy Story midway area. I hate Toy Story anyway but, why is it there?! In this otherwise beautiful non-ip park *grumble, grumble*.

Apart from a whole land themed to The Little Mermaid, a whole land themed to Aladdin and the Indiana Jones ride...

But yh I'd agree, Tokyo DisneySea is second to none. Pictures don't do it justice you have to just go and stand in it and soak it all in!

Also Phantasialand, yh this is fab. And I love Efteling but I'm similar to Sue in that I enjoy gothic/fairytale style themes so that makes sense!

Also shout outs to a few more: Tripsdrill is just insanely photogenic and rustically beautiful. It's never over exaggerated but it's always just right, quaint and cute!

Disneyland Paris which is arguably the most photographable park in the world. It's a pastel wonderland and everything is designed to have a beautiful European flare that sets it apart from its American and Asian counterparts.

Finally Silver Dollar City. I've always been taken with the idea of the old west and SDC really embodies that, from the use of the location in the mountains right down to the staff uniforms. Again, it's not over the top fantasy but it's still a beautiful environment to enjoy a day in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben

CF Legend
Also Sinbad and the whole Jules Verne centrepiece that are also IPs...

DisneySea is the best themed park on the Planet hands down but it's mostly IPs - the whole park is basically IPs bar Tower and Raging Spirits!

Also, what generic American area by the entrance? The area by the entrance is Mediterranean and the American area has a ****ing, steamship in it...?

Also when did they move Splash Mountain there?! Which would be another IP ride if it was in DisneySea!

Phantasialand is the only place that comes close and we all know why. Although if I see one more person say it's based solely on 'countries'. Excuse me whilst I book my flights to the real World locations of Klugheim, Wuze Town and the Mystery area...

Last edited:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Silver Dollar City is a personal favorite. The authenticity is fantastic, especially in their hiring of retired craftsmen for much of the frontier/smithing/woodworking demonstrations throughout the park.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Surely someone's got to mention Europa? I know some of their areas and animatronics are a bit 80's but the attention to detail is amazing. The new(ish) Arthur area is lovely and so well considered. I can't comment on the Ireland area though as I've not been since it's been built.

Having only ever been to UK parks before I visited Europa I couldn't believe how good theming CAN be. I was blown away by the fact that they properly theme everything, down to man hole covers and the toilets.

chrisgeorgiou46

Roller Poster
Thorpe Park needs a mention for its exposition of cattle farms and factory farming. By packing in all the guests into neatly aligned cages and metal wire fences they really do make guests feel empathy for the food they are eating.

fright2015sawalivequeue.jpg

It's just genius, really. #Thorpe4Change #GoFreeRange4Thorpe #NowYouKnowWhatItFeelsLike #ThisIsRealTheming

gadv1000

Roller Poster
I feel that Universal and Disney are sort of in a league of their own - so, Ignoring both of those... Phantasialand. Easily.

Every single area (minus the entrance) has absolutely stunning theming.
I 100% agree with you on Disney and Universal being in a league of their own. With that being said, for me, out of all the parks I've been to, Busch Gardens Williamsburg takes the cake. That is why I have BGW as my favorite park. I would put all the Disney and Universal Parks as my favorite, but it's simply not fair since they are good on a whole different level.

Phantasialand looks out of this world, and I hope to visit there one day as it's up at the top of my theme park to do list.