What's new

Weight of Gerstlauer Eurofighter train?

ashcoaster3

Roller Poster
Does anyone know the mass of a Gerstlauer Eurofighter train? If you have any sources or references that would be greatly appreciated

Heavy enough to make you swear if you drop one on your foot...

I think they are around the 3 tonne mark although I've never had to lift one nor have I seen the drawings for one.
I base my guess on the fact they are a little larger than S&S El Loco cars and they weigh exactly 2 tonne.

ashcoaster3

Roller Poster
Heavy enough to make you swear if you drop one on your foot...

I think they are around the 3 tonne mark although I've never had to lift one nor have I seen the drawings for one.
I base my guess on the fact they are a little larger than S&S El Loco cars and they weigh exactly 2 tonne.
Do you have any sources/references for the S&S El Loco car weight?

I can't share S&S documentation without their permission but I can tell you that we need to know how heavy they are in order to lift them safely with a crane.
The crane we usually use has the ability to measure how much weight is on the hook too. This always comes in at 2200Kg which is the weight of the car plus the frame used to lift it.
Once the car is on the track, the scales show the empty frame as 200Kg.

ashcoaster3

Roller Poster
I can't share S&S documentation without their permission but I can tell you that we need to know how heavy they are in order to lift them safely with a crane.
The crane we usually use has the ability to measure how much weight is on the hook too. This always comes in at 2200Kg which is the weight of the car plus the frame used to lift it.
Once the car is on the track, the scales show the empty frame as 200Kg.
The reason I ask is because I am writing a thesis in which I am modelling a roller coaster train, therefore any citations on a single car train type is required in order to make a valid assumption (one with evidence). If there are any that contain useable sources (unless I can cite your passed on information in some way), then that would be awesome. Thank you for the useful info!

Archie

Mega Poster
The reason I ask is because I am writing a thesis in which I am modelling a roller coaster train, therefore any citations on a single car train type is required in order to make a valid assumption (one with evidence). If there are any that contain useable sources (unless I can cite your passed on information in some way), then that would be awesome. Thank you for the useful info!
not sure if this is any help but i found the brochure for the euro-fighter on gerstlauers website, its got some information on it in there
https://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/fil...odukt-Broschueren/Gerstlauer_Euro-Fighter.pdf

JoshC.

Strata Poster

This may be a stupid idea, but have you tried contacting Gerstlauer (/ any other manufacturer) directly?

Depending on the exact purpose of your thesis, where/how it will be shared, etc, they might be able to provide the information for you, and that then provides a meaningful source too.
Equally, couldn't you just write the source for the S&S El Loco car as "Official S&S El Loco documentation" and blag it from there? :p

ashcoaster3

Roller Poster
This may be a stupid idea, but have you tried contacting Gerstlauer (/ any other manufacturer) directly?

Depending on the exact purpose of your thesis, where/how it will be shared, etc, they might be able to provide the information for you, and that then provides a meaningful source too.
Equally, couldn't you just write the source for the S&S El Loco car as "Official S&S El Loco documentation" and blag it from there? :p
I have contacted Gerstlauer so am hoping for a response soon. Although yes I could do that, I would rather not risk the explanation of some of my sources in my thesis defense.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I remember somebody else in here was also doing a thesis on Eurofighter trains some years back (something about putting spring-loaded wheels on Speed at Oakwood), but I can't recall whom it was. Lofty, perhaps? I don't think they are active anymore, but there could be an old thread out there with information, or possibly a thesis in the national thesis database if Britain has such a thing.