What's new

Watches - Which Arm?

And...?

• Will is correct; left

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • Will is incorrect; right

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I am a silly person and I do not know what time it is.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Will

Strata Poster
Seems a while since I've done one of these, but basically, I need you to all settle a debate I was having with someone at work today. In short, she thinks I'm broken because I wear my watch on my left wrist, I think she's backward, because she wears hers on the right. I'm pretty sure we're both right handed, so that's not an issue...
So yeah, which arm is YOUR watch on?
Silly people who dislike watches for whatever reason, or those insufferable people who tell the time with their phones need not apply...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I was always under the impression that watches were designed to be worn on the left wrist and operated by the right hand.

Almost all watches have the nobs on the right hand edge, meaning wearing it on your right wrist would make it really tricky to change the settings.

Wrist-Watch.jpg

So yeah, Will you're right.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'd never thought of that Hixee :lol:

I assume it's because most people are right handed, and wearing a watch with your lead hand while working on anything just gets in the way.

Anyone who comfortably wears a watch on their right arm and is right handed has never done a day's worth of manual labour in their lives. Or used a mouse or anything really that a watch would intrude into.

Though Hixee's response is the killer one :)

thx

Mega Poster
Yeah thanks for pointing that out Hixee, never thought about that :). I wear my watch on my left hand, always have, always will. I've believed and still sort of think that if you're left-handed you'd usually wear a watch on your right hand instead. If I see people wearing a watch on their right hand I also assume that they're left-handed. Fascinatingly enough, the few times I've asked those people they've actually been right-handed, which makes it all more confusing, oh well :lol:

nadroJ

CF Legend
Yeah, on the left, the same as bracelets. Trying to wear a bracelet on the right wrist is SO frustrating.

kimahri

CF Legend
I stopped wearing a watch...

I wasn't a fan of the colours it made left wrist go when it dug into it from carrying ****.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
I'm right handed and wear my watch on my right wrist. It doesn't seem to get in the way at all, and it just seems more natural to raise my right arm when I want to check what time it is.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
nadroJ said:
Yeah, on the left, the same as bracelets. Trying to wear a bracelet on the right wrist is SO frustrating.

Nah, I wear my bracelet on my right wrist and it's generally fine. However, it does get uncomfortable "mousing" for long periods without a soft gel pad under my wrist.

It's a very flat and unobtrusive bracelet though.

MouseAT said:
I'm right handed and wear my watch on my right wrist. It doesn't seem to get in the way at all, and it just seems more natural to raise my right arm when I want to check what time it is.

I'm ambidextrous, so it's never been something I was too concerned with, but I did notice most people wear it on their left so assumed it was a handedness thing generally.

I suspect those who wear it on the right wrist and are right handed are the freaks like me who eat with a fork in their right hand and knife in their left ;)

Martyn

Giga Poster
I'm left handed and wear a watch on my left hand.

I think Hixee's argument is probably right, but I'm in the market for a new watch at the moment and have seen quite a few with the dial on the left side of the face. Certainly fewer are like that though.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Obviously on the left.

Anyone who wears it on their right hand is clearly suffering from a form of mild retardation, or it could be mancinism which, let's face it, is basically the same thing.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
I usually get the time off my phone but when I do ocasinally wear a watch, it's usually on the left. Not that I care which side it's on.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Don't wear watches anymore. When I was younger my watch was always on my left wrist. Now I just use my phone to tell the time.

Snoo

The Legend
While I don't wear watches, I used to wear running watches and ALWAYS on my right wrist.

Brett7710

Mega Poster
I write and use scissors with my left hand but do pretty much everything else with my right, I always used to wear my watch on my right arm, not sure why it just happened naturally.
My partner reckons men should wear a watch on their left arm whereas women should wear one on their right, although i'm not sure what gives her that opinion.
I've swapped to wearing my watch on my left arm now but it really doesn't make much of a difference, if anything I seem to catch it against things more than I used to.

Mark

Strata Poster
I was always under the impression that you should wear your watch on the opposite to which you write with? Don't ask me where the heck that came from though....

I wear mine on my left.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Martyn said:
I'm in the market for a new watch at the moment
Go to Poundland, they've got a big selection in there.

I don't wear a watch. It's rare that I need to know the time IMMEDIATELY. I can easily check my phone or a public clock.

Plus I don't like wearing jewellery at all.

I'll do a survey at work tomorrow Will. I'll look at the watch wearers and see what wrist they're wearing it on.