What's new

Walt Disney World

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Aren't they supposed to making a BTMR film at some point? If that's the case, then adding this "enhance storyline" now is probably an attempt to connect it more with the film. It's probably a good idea to be honest. If there's a clearer ride narrative, it could get a few people more interested when the film comes out.

I can't see it being another Pirates of the Caribbean in terms of film success, not even close, but they're probably trying to do anything they can to avoid another Haunted Mansion at least.

Lofty

CF Legend
I heard the movie was meant to be under the "Double Dare You" (Guillermo Del Toro/Disney) banner which has gone under?

Also. TONY BAXTER <3

Robbie

Hyper Poster
gavin said:
Aren't they supposed to making a BTMR film at some point? If that's the case, then adding this "enhance storyline" now is probably an attempt to connect it more with the film. It's probably a good idea to be honest. If there's a clearer ride narrative, it could get a few people more interested when the film comes out.

I can't see it being another Pirates of the Caribbean in terms of film success, not even close, but they're probably trying to do anything they can to avoid another Haunted Mansion at least.
They're making a TV series, described as a wild west version of "Lost"

nadroJ

CF Legend
Sorry, going back to the bowling alley, that is the blandest piece of **** I think I've ever seen come out of Orlando....What the hell?! Of everything they could have done in terms of theme and whatever....just what? And that big ugly red wall of nothing. Urgh <//3

Mike

Giga Poster
I don't really 'get' the bowling alley either... It just looks like any other bowling alleys I've been to, but with added tables I guess? :? Even the "pod" design that some people seem to be swooning over looks the same as any other place.

That said, it's better than just having a derelict building in DTD, and you can't really go wrong with bowling no matter how it's dressed up.

Nic

Strata Poster
a) The photo in the original post clearly shows SIX lanes, so I don't know where the hell you're all getting 5 from?

b) According to this article there's 30 in total. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/201 ... es-burgers

Ten frames about the new boutique bowling
1. Opening: Dec. 19 in Downtown Disney West Side at Walt Disney World Resort.
2. Square Footage: 50,000. Largest Splitsville ever built.
3. Number of lanes: 30. Nearly twice as many as any other Splitsville.
4. Lane configuration: 20 lanes second-level, 10 ground-level. First two-level Splitsville of its kind.
5. Number of bars: Five.
6. Featured menu items: Hand-cut steaks, mahi mahi with Voodoo shrimp, fresh-rolled sushi, filet sliders, hand-tossed pizza and classic hamburgers made with Splitsville’s special blend of certified angus brisket, short rib and ground chuck.
7. Number of sushi bars: Two – one on each level where customers can watch chefs roll their hand-made creations and belly-up for a Volcano Roll, Super Tuna or any of the fresh selections.
8. Other unique features: Lane concierge responsible for delivering shoes and bowling balls to your lanes prior to your arrival; outdoor patio dining on both floors; billiards tables; live music seven nights a week; more than 60 flat screen TVs.
9. First location: Tampa (opened December 2003)
10. Other Splitsville locations: Tampa; Miami; Fairview, Texas and Fredericksburg, Va. SOURCE: WALT DISNEY CO.

Mark

Strata Poster
gavin said:

Ironically they were supposed to be doing another Haunted Mansion movie involving Guillermo Del Toro but its been up and down more times that convent girls knickers. I don't really know where it stands at the moment.

Relating to the BTMR backstory, I think it is a brilliant idea. There has always been a backstory (I have it in one of the imagineering books) but it was only really used to inform the design. I am really pleased to see that they are going to make it more pronounced. I am even more pleased to see that Barnabas T. Bullion is the image of Tony Baxter. The guy is a flipping legend and was instrumental in the realisation of BTMR.

The bowling alley. Meh, I doubt very much I would go there even when on holiday so it doesn't really phase me either way. It doesn't look particularly Disneyesque and is rather uninspired. I guess you could argue that being in Downtown Disney it doesn't have to be full-on and in your face, but they could have least tried to make it a little cooler than the average bowling alley perhaps? I am cautious to make too big a judgement though, given that we only have a few photos to go on.

Lofty

CF Legend
Mark said:
Ironically they were supposed to be doing another Haunted Mansion movie involving Guillermo Del Toro but its been up and down more times that convent girls knickers. I don't really know where it stands at the moment.
Yeah, as I said before, it was part of the "Double Dare You" range of movies they had planned that saw Disney producing some of the darker stories they have and making them more adult orientated. It's a shame that this may not be produced though, the story proposed was mainly about the Hat Box Ghost story and would have seen a much more adult based story. But, due to the Hobbit movies, he couldn't commit to Disney and it just went. Making sad movie/Disney geeks everywhere.

Mark

Strata Poster
Lofty said:
Mark said:
Yeah, as I said before, it was part of the "Double Dare You" range of movies they had planned that saw Disney producing some of the darker stories they have and making them more adult orientated. It's a shame that this may not be produced though, the story proposed was mainly about the Hat Box Ghost story and would have seen a much more adult based story. But, due to the Hobbit movies, he couldn't commit to Disney and it just went. Making sad movie/Disney geeks everywhere.

Ah right, I wasn't aware of the "double dare you" movie range. The last I heard was that it had been postponed but they were still looking to go ahead with the project.

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
Room rates for the Galactic Starcruiser hotel/experience thang revealed 😲
The company revealed sample cabin rates for the hotel on Wednesday: For a two-night stay, it costs $4,809 for two guests in a cabin, $5,299 for three guests (two adults and one child) and $5,999 for four guests (three adults, one child).
Also...
that pricing covers an "ongoing, immersive and interactive entertainment, where choices determine your experience," your meals (excluding alcohol) and admission to Disney's Hollywood Studios
They couldn't even throw in a few beers or some cheap wine for that price?!

From a CNN article.

peep

CF Legend
OTT Disney fanboys only

Even more niche than that, specifically Star Wars fans with too much cash to burn. Disney fans are very confused by this entire thing, they're expecting it to fail.

There's already a full itinerary posted and it's a bit of a joke, the first day you arrive in the afternoon, second day is packed with what seems like no wiggle room to just enjoy the space you're in and then the third day finishes after breakfast. That "includes admission to Hollywood Studios" fails to point out that the itinerary only allows you to ride Rise of the Resistance in the morning and then lunch at the quick service restaurant in Galaxy's Edge, it's not a full day in the park. As fans have also been pointing out, Rise is down for tech reasons constantly, what happens if it's unavailable during this allocated time slot?

I recommend watching the DIS discussion on it if you love a good rant:

Matt N

CF Legend
In fairness to them, I get the impression that this isn’t really like any of their other hotels. The way it was described to me was “like a cruise, but without the ship”, and I’d say that sounds quite apt based on the description we’ve had so far. Heck, I’d go as far as to say it’s probably even more hands-on than a cruise, because cruises don’t usually have such a rigid itinerary, from what I can tell!

I’ll admit I did initially baulk a bit at the price, and I do still think it is a fairly large sum of money for pay for a 2-night experience (our last Florida holiday probably didn’t cost a huge amount more than the $6,000 quoted for a family of 4 for 2 nights, and we stayed for 10 nights in our own exclusive villa, with our own rented car), but when you take it into context, it makes a little more sense. This is more like a “once-in-a-lifetime experience” type thing for any Star Wars fan, from what I can gather, and as much as it wouldn’t be my cup of tea even it was a lot cheaper, I’m sure there’s many a die-hard Star Wars fan out there who would gladly pay such a price for this kind of experience!

And I guess it does include park admission, in fairness… many park hotel packages don’t.

Out of interest, what does the itinerary actually consist of?
EDIT: For those who haven’t seen the itinerary, this article by the Orlando Informer gives a good idea of what guests can expect: https://orlandoinformer.com/blog/heres-what-4000-will-get-you-at-the-star-wars-hotel/

It all sounds pretty hands-on, doesn’t it? I’ll admit that this sort of thing isn’t really my cup of tea, but I know there’s many people out there who would love this sort of thing!

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Whoa, what a price, and whoa, what a thread bump.

Still fine with it, though. The thread was created for this purpose, after all.

spicy

Giga Poster
I mean just... forget it.

Surely this is basically for influencers or OTT Disney fanboys only?

Can you imagine the first few weeks of this opening. Every Disney influencer and Vlogger videoing and taking pictures of everything. Would kill any immersion they are trying to create.

But yea this is definitely not going to last long, I give it 5 years before it just becomes a Star Wars themed hotel.

Dar

Hyper Poster
I wouldn't be able to enjoy any of the activities after I'd worked out the price-per-minute.

I mean it looks cool and I'd love to experience it, but I scoffed at Phantasialand's €400-a-night immersive hotel, so a €1000-a-night is trebly laughable!

Matt N

CF Legend
I wonder whether if this is successful (which of course remains to be seen), Universal might combat it with their own Potter-themed hotel experience? I can imagine bunking at Hogwarts and doing loads of wizard stuff might actually be quite popular…

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I wouldn't be able to enjoy any of the activities after I'd worked out the price-per-minute.

Following the itinerary in the link Matt posted, you get a 45 hour experience (including sleep, not including additional park time outside the experience).

For two adults, it's $4,809.
That's $2,404.50 each for 45 hours of stuff.
It's two nights, and the average adult will, say, sleep 7 hours. So take away 14 hours for sleep.
That's $2,404.50 each for 31 hours of awake experience.
That's $77.56 per hour.
That's $1.29 per minute.

Yeah, screw that.